Home PageFacebookRSS News Feed
PocketGPS
Web
SatNav,GPS,Navigation
SurfShark VPN
Pocket GPS World - SatNavs | GPS | Speed Cameras: Forums

Pocket GPS World :: View topic - XDA II slow / freezes TomTom bluetooth problem?
 Forum FAQForum FAQ   SearchSearch   UsergroupsUsergroups   ProfileProfile   Log in for private messagesLog in for private messages   Log inLog in 

XDA II slow / freezes TomTom bluetooth problem?

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Pocket GPS World Forum Index -> TomTom Software-Only Products
View previous topic :: View next topic  
vectraone
Occasional Visitor

PostPosted: Sun Apr 17, 2005 4:41 pm    Post subject: XDA II slow / freezes TomTom bluetooth problem? Reply with quote

My XDA II slows to a crawl or freezes if I start TomTom 3 without first turning on both my bluetooth GPS receiver and activating bluetooth on the XDA II. Otherwise all is fine - as long as everything is turned on in the right order.

Is this right?

My friend has the XDAIIi which has had the same software installed in the same way but his works fine no matter what order things are turned on.

I have updated the XDAII to the latest ROM upgrade from O2. I'm using Tomtom 3.07 and have tried the earlier Tomtom GPS software. But no improvement.

When installing Tomtom I have changed the default install location to 'Memory Card' could this be the problem? I have a 1GB high speed SD card with nothing else on so plenty of free space.

Any help would be appreciated.

Colin.

PS I searched through previous posts but couldn't find any other reference to this problem.
alix776
Pocket GPS Moderator
Pocket GPS Moderator

PostPosted: Sun Apr 17, 2005 7:06 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

how full is the sd card and do you run ay other programs in the backgound ie camera /calender etc

Oh the joys of being a courier.
device Lumia 950 xl
vectraone
Occasional Visitor

PostPosted: Sun Apr 17, 2005 10:31 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

SD card only has TomTom on and UK map so plenty of room left on the 1GB card. Have also tried a 512mb card but same result. No programs running in the background. There are no other programs on the xda2 other than those that come as standard so plenty of memory there too.

It's more of a pain than a problem - just entering destinations can be annoying as I tend to leave the bluetooth GPS in the car but take the XDA2 into work/home so that I have to write down addresses and enter them into TT when I get back to the car as without the GPS receiver on the XDA2 freezes.

Wonder if it is worth installing TT3 to the XDA2 rather than the card? Strange how the same software works perfectly on the XDA2i but not my XDA2.

Any other thoughts would be appreciated.

Thanks

Colin.
alix776
Pocket GPS Moderator
Pocket GPS Moderator

PostPosted: Sun Apr 17, 2005 11:37 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

install tt to the main memoery that should sort it just leave a copy of the cab file on the sd so you can reinstall if the xda plays up

Oh the joys of being a courier.
device Lumia 950 xl
vectraone
Occasional Visitor

PostPosted: Mon Apr 18, 2005 5:59 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Just removed TT3 from the SD card and reinstalled to the internal xda2 memory.

Still no improvement. TT3 freezes/slows to a crawl if the bluetooth gps receiver AND xda bluetooth mode are not both switched on before starting TT3.

I'm at a loss. Can't think of anything else to try.

Anyone?........ Has anyone got a xda2 with a bluetooth GPS receiver which works without the above problem?

Thanks

Colin.
vectraone
Occasional Visitor

PostPosted: Mon Apr 18, 2005 9:20 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

OK in desperation I downgraded the xda2 ROM to 1.60.00. No change. I installed the 2.06 GPS driver, to see if that made any difference.....

It didn't ....... freezing still occured. I was convinced it was something to do with the bluetooth software trying to find the bluetooth GPS receiver - which isn't switched on - and the whole thing grinds to halt.

After a soft reset I managed to start the GPS program and change the settings back to the original - TT wired GPS on COM1. After accepting the changes I started TT and all was well - obviously wasn't looking for the bluetooth receiver. I could enter postcodes and addresses for later navigation back at the car.

Problem solved - well not quite solved but worked around. If the bluetooth GPS receiver isn't switched on, I need to start the GPS program, change the settings away from bluetooth and then start TT. When I'm ready to navigate somewhere just change all the GPS settings back to bluetooth (after turning on the GPS receiver!).

I'm now upgrading back to the latest XDA2 ROM and hopefully all should be well.

Cheers

Colin.
blurredout
Occasional Visitor

PostPosted: Thu Apr 21, 2005 7:34 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I have an XDA II with a bluetooth GPS and have found the best solution to this particular problem is to install pocket bluetooth tools from the http://www.bluetooth.jazztel.es/ . If you follow the instructions then you shouldn't have any problems.
When TomTom starts, the bluetooth tools will automatically start up bluetooth and try to connect to the GPS, even though it can't find the GPS it should stop TomTom from freezing.

Blurredout
vectraone
Occasional Visitor

PostPosted: Fri Apr 22, 2005 2:08 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Blurredout,

thanks for that.

It's a great little program and yes it has cured the problem.

Thanks again.
lydiachris
Regular Visitor

PostPosted: Fri Apr 29, 2005 6:04 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Hi there. I have recently found a way to STOP my O2 XDAIIi from locking up and freezing when running TomTom Navigator 3.

It is all to do with the o2 Active User Interface which is installed when you first turn on your XDAIIi or do a Hard Reset.

I have removed this and my XDAIIi runs a lot smoother now, and I have not experienced any lockups or freezing from TomTom Nav 3. Also you get the clock back on the top right hand corner of the today screen!!!

I have written some instructions for you all.....

I was able to remove the o2 Active User Interface by doing the following:

1) Remove "Windows/startup/connection.exe

2) Remove" Windows/fonts/xpdr_02...

3) soft reset

4) use the uninstall from the setting to uninstall the O2 Active UI...

5) Soft reset and there you are.

This will show the clock on the top right corner and make the XDAIIi faster at startup and more stable overall as I noticed.

Or you can do it this way....

1) Remove the "connections" shortcut in the windows/startup folder. You don't need that icon in the tray anyway.

2) Soft reset

4) Unistall - which will fail, but it gets rid of some bits

5) From your PC, using ActiveSync go into the windows folder and delete everything you can in the "Mobile Solutions" folder. (It's under windows)

6) Soft reset. You're clean.

Following these instructions will certainly make your XDAIIi smoother and even a little faster opening/closing applications on the today screen.
I have emailed o2 about this and they say the o2 Active User Interface plugin has a memory leak which can make the XDAIIi "Think" it is out of memory, causeing TomTom to lockup and freeze, which we all know is VERY annoying whislt driving!!!!!

Anyway, I hope this helps some people and makes driving a little less frustrating!!!!

Cheers,
Lydiachris

ps. ANY news on the release date of TomTom Nav 5!?!? I hope TomTom get their act together before the release and dont have the same problems with orders just like Mobile 5
lydiachris
Regular Visitor

PostPosted: Wed May 11, 2005 11:14 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Hi,
I have reached a full conclusion and can report success!

Following some extensive testing with various installs and setups I can now finally explain what I think is causing this freeze /lockup.

Its the Phone! of all things!

Here is a summary of the testing setups bearing in mind nothing else was installed on the XDA2i other than default and the tom tom had GB Only Maps.

Active o2 installed (Personal) using 1gb SD card and phone on (FREEZE)
Active o2 not installed (Corporate) 1gb SD Card and Phone on (FREEZE)
Active o2 not installed (Corporate) 512mb SD Card and Phone on (FREEZE)
Active o2 not installed (Corporate) No SD Card, Tomtom using Memory of XDA2i and Phone on (FREEZE)
Active o2 not installed (Corporate) 1gb SD Card and Phone off (OK)
Active o2 not installed (Corporate) 512mb SD Card and Phone off (OK)

Well there you go, with all the setups that froze, the lockup took longer to happen with the smaller SD card, using the 1gb SD card it took approx 5miles of driving whereas the 512mb SD card I managed to drive 20miles.

Today, I drove 149 miles WITHOUT a single lockup using the 1gb SD card, POI installed and other Apps in the background running, all this because the phone was OFF. Wireless On! as I use Bluetooth GPS.

The reason people may be experiencing a lockup when using a Bluetooth Handsfree head set is because the phone is ON! I think anyway! its not becuase of the Bluetooth Headset.

I think the problem lies with the phone changing cells (changing masts) when you drive, thats why the freeze occurs at various points when you drive. I don't think it is nessecarly due to loss of signal as the phone seemed have a signal when I had a lockup. The masts change must be the problem, changing from one mast with a good signal to another with a good signal!

Anyway Yippee I have found out the cause, hope its the same for you guys too.

One point I must add, I found that using the 1gb SD card the XDA2i runs slower and can cause you to experience problems loading the maps or installing tomtom maps onto it without deleting the partnership in ActiveSync. I am downgrading my SD card to my new 512mb card as it runs smoother and seems to cause less problems for Tomtom.

Any one with other suggestions please post, Knowing my luck it will freeze tomorrow with the phone off, I think that 149miles is pretty conclusive though, especial as it froze again when I turned it on again.
zebedee71
Occasional Visitor

PostPosted: Fri May 20, 2005 12:49 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I removed the O2 active interface program from My XDA2 and it's a vast improvement i have had no trouble since.

Zeb
boyscout
Occasional Visitor

PostPosted: Sun May 22, 2005 8:28 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I am a new person to this forum, but I am having the same problem with an XDA 2i. I have tried the above solution but for some reason my unit with not let me removed certian items. Help Sad
Trigger
Regular Visitor

PostPosted: Sun May 29, 2005 3:28 pm    Post subject: XDA Freezing Reply with quote

I brought an XDA2i and was using Tom Tom Navigator with bluetooth GPS on it and found it keept freezing about 8 time a day this seam to be when the phone was looking for cells.

Swapped my bluetooth for a wired GPS and still found it froze when the phone was looking fo cells.

After reading lydiachris exclent report turned off phone to flight mode when using Navigator and and guess what after over 500 mile not one freeze up.

Spoke to o2 they knew about and were waiting fot TOMTOM 5 which should cure it due soon.

E-mail TomTom they replied with Navigator 5 will be out soon but no dates at present so looking at pass promises by TomTom I look forward to next Christmas when Navigator 5 will be issued at least 9 months late
lydiachris
Regular Visitor

PostPosted: Mon May 30, 2005 11:58 am    Post subject: Turning Bluetooth on when Flight-mode enabled. Reply with quote

Hi, i forgot to mention in my report Rolling Eyes

Firstly, i don't know weather or not this is the same for all the XDA's

i.e XDA, XDAII, XDAIIs

But on my XDAIIi when I try to turn Flight Mode on, the Bluetooth function does not work. This is because Flight Mode is meant to mean 'All wireless connection etc are disabled' Confused

This is a problem one might ask in actually achieving to turn on the bluetooth in your XDAIIi and turn OFF the phone function.

Well i've managed to 'trick' the XDAIIi into thinking that it can do the above Twisted Evil

Ok here is how to do it, ive just done it without having a problem.

1) Start Tomtom with it communicating to the Bluetooth GPS and Phone is on.
2) Whilst tomtom is running turn on flightmode (turning off all Wireless and Phone)
3) Go back into Tomtom and it should have lost its connection to BT you will see it hasn't disabled the GPS though!
4) Turn on BT in the Bluetooth Settings in the settings menu of the XDA2i
5) XDA2i will then pop up a message saying turn off flight mode first, try to close that popup and it will take several seconds whilst it closes the popup.
6) Hey presto the delay was caused by the XDA2i trying to turn on Wirelss with out the Phone.
7) You now have just wirelss on and not the phone.

Hope this helps some people. Of course if you have a wired version of the software then this does not apply.

Cheers,
lydiachris

ps. has anyone got the standard version of Memory-Map version 4.2.1 Build 414 NOT the Ordance Servey version?? I'm building my own piece of GPS geo-caching software using Visual Basic and C++ and need it to refference some code. Cheers.

Posted: Today    Post subject: Pocket GPS Advertising

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Pocket GPS World Forum Index -> TomTom Software-Only Products All times are GMT + 1 Hour
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: