Home PageFacebookRSS News Feed
PocketGPS
Web
SatNav,GPS,Navigation
Brixly - Fast, Reliable, Secure UK Web Hosting
Pocket GPS World - SatNavs | GPS | Speed Cameras: Forums

Pocket GPS World :: View topic - Qtek 8080 and GPS
 Forum FAQForum FAQ   SearchSearch   UsergroupsUsergroups   ProfileProfile   Log in for private messagesLog in for private messages   Log inLog in 

Qtek 8080 and GPS

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Pocket GPS World Forum Index -> Beginners GPS Lounge
View previous topic :: View next topic  
stulbs
Occasional Visitor

PostPosted: Tue May 17, 2005 3:16 pm    Post subject: Qtek 8080 and GPS Reply with quote

Hello,

I recently purchased a Qtek 8080 (aka i-mate Smartphone2, Orange SPV e200, HTC Voyager, O2 Xphone) and a GlobalSat SD-501. However, the SD-501 drivers will not install for me. Can somebody please explain to me if these two devices are compatible? If not, why?

If these devices are not compatible, can I use a Bluetooth GPS receiver with my Qtek 8080? Or is there any other way I can use a GPS device with my Qtek 8080?

Lastly, I am quite confused about the different operating systems. What are the differences between Windows Mobile 2003, Windows Mobile 2003 for Pocket PC, Windows Mobile Smartphone 2003, and WinCE?

Do all of these operating systems require applications that have been specifically compiled for them?

Thanks,

stu
lbendlin
Pocket GPS Staff
Pocket GPS Staff

PostPosted: Tue May 17, 2005 3:32 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I am not sure you will get a SD GPS running witht eh QTek. Even more so you won't have any place to store maps. You need to use a Bluetooth receiver.

Windows Mobile 2003 is the same as Windows Mobile 2003 for Pocket PC (actually the latter term doesn't exist). What you may have heard is Windows Mobile 2003 Phone Edition - this is for Pocket PCs with integrated phone like the XDA series.

Windows Mobile Smartphone 2003 is the version for devices like the QTek - main differentiator is that they have no touch screen.

Windows CE is the underlying core operating system for all of them, pretty much like MS-DOS is still the underlying core system of Windows XP even though Microsoft don't like to hear that.

Programs need to be compiled to run on Windows CE (and targeted at the right processor - ARM for example). In addition some programs willl want to use Pocket PC specific features like the Today Screen, or the phone API.

Programs compiled for Windows CE will most probably run on Pocket PC, but the other way round is not necessarily always true - For example a today screen plugin will not run on pure Windows CE, and neither on the Smartphone.

Report Map Errors here:
TomTom/TeleAtlas NAVTEQ
stulbs
Occasional Visitor

PostPosted: Tue May 17, 2005 3:49 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Hello,

Actually, I am not concerned about storing maps. I just want to log the NMEA string using some software like VisualGPSce (http://www.visualgps.net/VisualGPSce/default.htm). This is written for "PocketPC 2002 & 2003". Therefore, should it work on my Qtek 8080?

Thanks for any help,

stu
stulbs
Occasional Visitor

PostPosted: Tue May 17, 2005 4:12 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Hello again,

Having read my SD-501 manual I see:

“Operating platform: Pocket PC 2002/2003, Win CE, Win CE.Net, WM2003”
and
“Basically, if the WinCE Device with SDIO port and adopt the Bsquare SDIO NOW! would be compatible.”

So should my Qtek 8080 support the SD-501?

Thanks,

stu
Pc-Mobile
Frequent Visitor

PostPosted: Tue May 17, 2005 4:37 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Whether it is supported or not it really is not worth digging into it.

OK if you just want to know.

If you want to use it, it really is of very little use as you will not have any means to store any map.
lbendlin
Pocket GPS Staff
Pocket GPS Staff

PostPosted: Tue May 17, 2005 5:17 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

You have a smartphone, not a Pocket PC. You may be able to start VisualGPSCE, but you won't be able to control it - since the Smartphone doesn't have a touchscreen.

I doubt very much that the SD slot on the QTek is SDIO.

Report Map Errors here:
TomTom/TeleAtlas NAVTEQ

Posted: Today    Post subject: Pocket GPS Advertising

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Pocket GPS World Forum Index -> Beginners GPS Lounge All times are GMT + 1 Hour
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: