Home PageFacebookRSS News Feed
PocketGPS
Web
SatNav,GPS,Navigation
Pocket GPS World - SatNavs | GPS | Speed Cameras: Forums

Pocket GPS World :: View topic - POI overload too many Files
 Forum FAQForum FAQ   SearchSearch   UsergroupsUsergroups   ProfileProfile   Log in for private messagesLog in for private messages   Log inLog in 

POI overload too many Files

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Pocket GPS World Forum Index -> TomTom Software-Only Products
View previous topic :: View next topic  
FarehamDoc
Occasional Visitor

PostPosted: Thu May 12, 2005 1:43 pm    Post subject: POI overload too many Files Reply with quote

Newby, just joined Forum, struggled with many of the common problems in various themes including TOMTOM and blue tooth connection, freezing ports etc.I have just managed to down load Checkpoint 3.2 but keep getting "To many POI files Load aborted" massages when try to launch tomtom. I spotted somewhere about deleting POI overlay files in explorer on my XDA11, bu am confused as to what exactly to delete...seems TOMTOM3.07 can only support 30+ POIs. What constitutes a POI is it the whole Camera database or is each camera a POI inits own right?? I have sync'd the overlays and all appear in TOM TOM poi's which will eventually launch dispite the Load Aborted message....what next ??

To complicate matters I also wish to run Memory-maps and understand I need to load GPSgate to get around the TOMTOM com port problem, any tips on this would be gratefully received. So far have installed trial version of Memory-map navigator which looks ok, but only allows a trial map of Port Talbot in Wales to down load!! not terribly useful in Hampshire!! Sad
MikeB
Frequent Visitor

PostPosted: Thu May 12, 2005 10:45 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

TomTom Navigator can handle 96 POI categories. Now how many custom ones you have available depends on which country maps you have loaded, different countries have a different number of built in categories. Normally it is around 40 user defined ones that are available.

You can have as many POIs in a category as you want though. I assume that there will be some physical limit, but I had a POI category with over 6000 entries in it.

You dont need the GPSGate to use Memory-Map with TomTom. check out Lutz's BT Guide for Smarties at the top of this forum. (And I always thought smarties were sweets...)
FarehamDoc
Occasional Visitor

PostPosted: Fri May 13, 2005 7:14 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

:P Many thanks Mike for response regarding too many POI's' encouraging to find out the limits, although somewhat confusing given conflicting messages elsewhere in formus about 30-36 limit ?? Given that I keep getting the too may POI message and TomTom load aborted can you advise "exactly" how to proceed to remove appropriate files (assuming thats required) to resolve this problem. I have also picked up strings in other parts of these forums that all a bit of a waste of time as TomTom 5 will solve all this as doesn't require 3rd. party software to support additional POI's as per Pocket GPS excellent camera data base.
Second I will most definately have a look at Lutz string regarding Com ports and memory-maps and see if can manage without GPS Gate.
Again many thanks
Don't know where us newbies would be with this excellent service, please keep it up
Farehamdoc / Grant
MikeB
Frequent Visitor

PostPosted: Fri May 13, 2005 9:18 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

To actually remove the POI categories from TomTom all you need to do is to delete the .ov2 files from the map folder on the store card.

When you move to version 5 there is a built in warning system. Currently there is no "SDK" so 3rd parties cannot create add ons which integrate into the application. This will change in the next couple of months.
FarehamDoc
Occasional Visitor

PostPosted: Fri May 13, 2005 2:25 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

:D Hi Mike, managed to delete a whole lot of .ov2 files from the map folder on storage card of car dealerships etc. and reset the number of POI's in TomTom settings to 99 although I think this just refers to number on screen at any one time. I'm alittle confused (as always) as to how I organise the POI's I have downloaded and syncronised with Checkpoint into POI categories such that I can have all the various POI's and not keep getting the "To many POI's message Loading aborted"
It will now lauch ok with my series of file deletions, but how do I add to the POI's without running into same problem again ??
xda
Lifetime Member

PostPosted: Fri May 13, 2005 4:19 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

The best way is to download the POI's to your PC either by directly logging on to the site, or using POIEdit to download them to the PC.
If your using Microsoft Active Sync and have created a partnership then you can copy the POI .ov2 and .bmp files across to the XDAII one at a time until you reach the limit.
The better method is to use a Card Reader, where you just take the SD Card out of the XDA II and put it in the Card Reader were you can copy and delete files just the same as you do on the PC, as the Card Reader will show up on the PC as an additional Drive.
Map: Europe V910.4892
Map: Europe_Truck V870.3421, Kingston 8GB SD
Nokia 925 Windows 8
FarehamDoc
Occasional Visitor

PostPosted: Fri May 13, 2005 5:33 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Laughing Graham hello, thanks for taking time to help, seems we both live in Fareham and drive Vauxhall's!!
I'm still alittle confused as to what constitutes a POI if as previously advised TomTom can actually handle thousands of POI's in separate catagories ie.96 separate catagories according to MikeB..yet each POI seems to appear as an individual .ov2 file in GB map folder on storage card and obviously then seems limited to ?? exactly how many before TomTom won't load and get the dreded "too many POI's message". Is it that the catagories should somehow be in the map folder as subfolders with the individual POI's files contained in these sub folders ??
I see on my SD card a pocketgps folder with XL spreed sheets with grid references to the cameras etc, but this is clearly a separate folder.
Perhaps a drink in a local Pub might help resolve the issue ?
Yrs Farehamdoc / Grant
xda
Lifetime Member

PostPosted: Sat May 14, 2005 3:00 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

A POI file for use on a XDA II consist of two parts. One is the .OV2 and the other is it's corresponding .BMP both with the same name.
Such as Salisbury's.OV2 and Salisbury's.BMP This would consist of one POI File. The .OV2 file is the data file and can have as many as a thousand entries or more in it.
The only POI files you should have on the SD card are in the GB Map folder as .OV2 and .BMP, there should not be any other folders on the SD Card and certainly not any .XLS files.
On my SD card I have a total of 25 POI files and no problems.
Email me on graham58@btclick.com with your phone number and we can get it sorted out.
Nokia 925 Windows 8
FarehamDoc
Occasional Visitor

PostPosted: Sat May 14, 2005 10:28 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Confused Graham, novice at this I ceratinly am and I will definately e-mail you and take you up on kind offer to help me out. Looking at my file explorer I have on on my 1GB card a GB map folder which obviously contains the maps and umpteen .ov2 files for cameras and petrol stations etc.. I then have a second folder 'pocketgps_uk_sc' which seems to have more .ov2 files and some pocket XL files with grid refernces for cameras etc. plus some .bmp files which have the camera icons on. I also have a 3rd folder labelled 'TomTom navigator settings'. This folder appears to be empty. However dispite all this I have got camera sites appearing on my maps when navigating and have set the appropriate warnings to appear on known local cameras, albeit without audiable Wav. file warnings so far.
Thanks for your patients with this. If you can assist me to tidy up this mess and get some wav. files installed in the right places for Camera warnings I will me most grateful.
Now if only I could get Memory Maps to work on the same XDA11 and GPS!!! :x
xda
Lifetime Member

PostPosted: Sun May 15, 2005 7:59 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

It would seem that you have far to many POI files on your SD Card and some that are not in the recognised TomTom format. It would appear from your description that the whole Pocketgps database has been copied to your SD card including files not required so are most likely duplicating those that TomTom needs/uses from it's own map folder.
The wave files are an additional requirement if you want audible announcements for POI's, but for that to work you also need another third party program to do this. The easiest is to use the freeware program CheckPOInt V2.0.2.0.
I did post a message which can be read here http://pocketgpsworld.com/modules.php?name=Forums&file=viewtopic&t=16308
That message explains how to setup a PPC with TT V3.0 and CheckPOInt V2 to use the Speed related POI files.
I Also use Memory Map but you need to purchase the maps for the UK to cover the areas you need.
Nokia 925 Windows 8
FarehamDoc
Occasional Visitor

PostPosted: Sun May 15, 2005 8:25 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

:D Graham, hello again and thanks once more for your continued patients with all this, however now you have opened up a second front with my memory map (MM) problems. First things first I'm running check point v 3.2.00 with says its monitoring 13750 POI's !! I haven't looked at your posted link yet , but do I need to go back to v 2.020 ? to install Wav files for audible warnings.
Second MMaps ... I've followed numerous strings in the TT forums about difficulties running second GPS mapping systems with TT due to its com.port hogging tendancies and difficulty establishing GPS links with the like of MM's navigator. Did you have this problem ? Did you have to install GPSgate ? I have only downloaded the trial version of MM navigator but was told by MM it should show gps position / location on a blank screen if no maps are installed. I can't however get it to recogonise my Haicom BT GPS (TT working fine) what ever settings I use in the GPS setup. Do you know if trial version should have GPS functionality and if it does what else can I try ?..the forums seem divided 50/50 as to whether or not GPSgate is needed. I don't know if I mentioned before but when I upgraded from TT 3.03 to 3.07 I now have a second set of TT and GPS icons in my program list but only one version appears when i check in the remove programmes list in settings ?? is this important will it be have some effect on my com ports ?
One day I'm sure this will all work seemlessly, the TT5 will be released and I'll cock it all up again!!
Thanks again
Farehamdoc
Also running:
Ipaq 3660 with twin CF battery backpack and Globalsat 307 CF GPS and 1GB Cf card.

Posted: Today    Post subject: Pocket GPS Advertising

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Pocket GPS World Forum Index -> TomTom Software-Only Products All times are GMT + 1 Hour
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: