Home PageFacebookRSS News Feed
PocketGPS
Web
SatNav,GPS,Navigation
Pocket GPS World - SatNavs | GPS | Speed Cameras: Forums

Pocket GPS World :: View topic - OK I bought a TTG300, legal question.
 Forum FAQForum FAQ   SearchSearch   UsergroupsUsergroups   ProfileProfile   Log in for private messagesLog in for private messages   Log inLog in 

OK I bought a TTG300, legal question.

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Pocket GPS World Forum Index -> TomTom Portable Navigation Devices
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Evilution
Regular Visitor

PostPosted: Thu May 05, 2005 2:23 pm    Post subject: OK I bought a TTG300, legal question. Reply with quote

I have both the "classic" and now a TTG 300 so I legally own the new maps.
I put the 300 card into my Classic and inevitably it came up with the screen asking for the activation code, I went to TTcodes and typed in the product code from the back of my classic CD and it comes up with
"blah blah blah " is a correct product code for TomTom Navigator Great Britain. This product can no longer be activated.

I didn't want to use the code from the 300 CD as I didn't want to mix the things up, although I remember reading that the TTG won't ask for this any more as its stored onboard and not on the SD card.

So my question is, will I come up with any problems if I use the product code from the 300 to activate the codes on my classic?

Cheers.
MikeB
Frequent Visitor

PostPosted: Thu May 05, 2005 3:07 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

If as you pointed out this is a "legal" question, then the answer is obviously no you can't. You have not paid the upgrade fee for your original GO and the maps with the 300 are licensed for that device only.

In practical terms I am not sure what the situation will be. Chances are they will activate, but it will give you problems in a year's time when you want to upgrade to version 6 software as the product code you will need to do the upgrade will be registered to your other machine.

Also if you have problems with the 300 you may not be able to reactivate maps on that device.
Evilution
Regular Visitor

PostPosted: Thu May 05, 2005 7:29 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Thanks for the reply, I was assuming that the map licence would be for the person who bought it and not for the device.
Hmm, I might have to sell the classic and get another TTG 300 before the classic becomes worth all. All new 300, does more, better maps and costs less Rolling Eyes
Christ, I thought Microsoft were bad.
rkm_hm
Frequent Visitor

PostPosted: Thu May 05, 2005 7:37 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I guess that the licensing of TTG software is very much like Microsoft. If you buy a copy of Windows or an application program, you're not supposed to use it on more than one processor at a time - and with XP and the latest 'Office' products, you can't.

Roger
Evilution
Regular Visitor

PostPosted: Thu May 05, 2005 7:59 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I just read the licencing agreement and you are right, 1 product code per unit so I have contacted Tomtom to see if they will sell me a new product code. I obviously don't want to buy the maps again on a new SD card as I have loads already and I don't need to buy it on CD as I have the maps already with my 300.
rkm_hm
Frequent Visitor

PostPosted: Thu May 05, 2005 8:16 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Best of luck! Keep us posted.

Roger
Evilution
Regular Visitor

PostPosted: Fri May 06, 2005 4:14 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I don't believe these people.
Here is their response.

Thank you for your e-mail.
Sorry we do not sell Product Codes.
We hope to have answered your question to your satisfaction.
With best regards,
The TomTom Customer Support Team

Is there no beginning to these guys talents?
Release new maps but make them unavailable for 5 weeks, sell the new TTG300 without maps on the CD, won't sell a product code so you can legally use a copy of some software I legally own, redesign the TTG300 so they are not compatable with the original external aerial. The only way they could get worse is if they started demanding monthly fees.
Evilution
Regular Visitor

PostPosted: Mon May 09, 2005 5:08 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Right, I mailed them straight back basically asking how I would get the maps working.
I told them I didn't need the maps as I already had them so I didn't want to buy an unnecessary SD card and I didn't really want to buy the maps on CD unless totally necessary. Their eventual response was this.

"Sorry but this is the only way for you to get the upgraded maps for the old TomTom GO.
The application that is in the SD card for TomTom Go 300 is not technical made for the Old TT GO. It will not work.
If you want a higher level to read your opinion regarding our policy we suggest changing the e-mail Category to Complain."

What does everyone else think to this "the 300 maps won't work on that classic" nonsence?

I'm going to enquire about the maps on CD now.
rkm_hm
Frequent Visitor

PostPosted: Mon May 09, 2005 5:28 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Evilution wrote:
What does everyone else think to this "the 300 maps won't work on that classic" nonsence?

But that's not what they said. They said that the application - in other words, the software - which comes with a 300 will not work on a Classic.

Problem is that with the 300's software and map supplied on SD card as a package, there's no way of separating them - even though you've probably already downloaded the v5 software upgrade for free, so all you need is the maps.

My guess is that the Europe maps on CD probably will work on both the 300 and the Classic - but you're still going to have licensing problems if you try to use the maps' product code on two devices.

Roger
Evilution
Regular Visitor

PostPosted: Mon May 09, 2005 6:47 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Clear as mud innit.

Joey Deacon could have run a better outfit than this (anyone remember him?).

I have mailed them asking if the UK map upgrade can be purchased on CD without a collosal wait.
Evilution
Regular Visitor

PostPosted: Thu May 12, 2005 10:53 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Well, thank you all.
I have beaten the system and copied the post code files over to the classic and its all working fine. The good thing is that its the maps that are licenced so I am free to copy it to my classic.

Tomtom lose, if they hadn't been bloody awkward money grabbers they would have had my money and no doubtably a lot of other peoples too.

See ya later TomTom, now where is that middle finger smiley?
EastUpper
Occasional Visitor

PostPosted: Fri May 13, 2005 11:26 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Evilution wrote:
Well, thank you all.
I have beaten the system and copied the post code files over to the classic and its all working fine. The good thing is that its the maps that are licenced so I am free to copy it to my classic.

Tomtom lose, if they hadn't been bloody awkward money grabbers they would have had my money and no doubtably a lot of other peoples too.

See ya later TomTom, now where is that middle finger smiley?

HAHAHAHA Good work.

Posted: Today    Post subject: Pocket GPS Advertising

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Pocket GPS World Forum Index -> TomTom Portable Navigation Devices All times are GMT + 1 Hour
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: