Home PageFacebookRSS News Feed
PocketGPS
Web
SatNav,GPS,Navigation
Brixly - Fast, Reliable, Secure UK Web Hosting
Pocket GPS World - SatNavs | GPS | Speed Cameras: Forums

Pocket GPS World :: View topic - iPAQ3970 113 - Upgrade error
 Forum FAQForum FAQ   SearchSearch   UsergroupsUsergroups   ProfileProfile   Log in for private messagesLog in for private messages   Log inLog in 

iPAQ3970 113 - Upgrade error

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Pocket GPS World Forum Index -> PDA/Smartphone Discussion
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Steuart
Occasional Visitor

PostPosted: Mon May 10, 2004 8:29 pm    Post subject: iPAQ3970 113 - Upgrade error Reply with quote

I bought a iPAQ3970 and the guy offered to do a PPC2003 upgrade thrown in. It has made the BT unservicable as it seems he used a beta version.

So, I bought the HP Upgrade disk to try and roll back to 2002 and then go back to 2003. However, when I try the process either trying to roll back to 2002 or re-install 2003 iI get this error - 113 Upgrade error. It tells me I have comms errors and to do a power/button2/soft reset and try again. This I do but the same error comes back.

Anyone any ideas on how I can resolve this?

Cheers
DavidW
Pocket GPS Moderator
Pocket GPS Moderator

PostPosted: Mon May 10, 2004 8:49 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I'd return the iPAQ to the seller as unfit for use.

This is a known situation - I believe it's far easier to come by beta copies of the upgrade by unofficial means than it is the released upgrade by similar unofficial means. My understanding is that early beta copies do, indeed, have no working Bluetooth code.

Go to the Start Menu, System tab, Asset Viewer. First open the Identity settings - both the Asset Tag and Serial should contain the serial number from the back of the device. If they don't, you've got a machine on which a lot of software will never activate - only HP can sort this out.

Secondly, try the Version settings. The ROM version should be 4.00.08 ENG for the released Pocket PC 2003 English ROM - any earlier 4.00 number is beta.

I'm pretty sure that the official ROM upgrader doesn't need any button combinations pressed to go either to version 4.00.08 or from 4.00.08 back to 2.10. Do make sure you've followed the instructions to install ActiveSync 3.7 (apparently the later 3.7.1 can fail to work properly with some HP ROM upgraders), and that your USB cable is connected directly to the PC, not via any hubs.

If you can't get things to work over USB, serial may just work.

If, by some fluke, the asset and serial details are right, and you can get the ROM upgrader working, I'd think it better to go down to Pocket PC 2002 before going back up to 2003. However, don't be surprised if any attempt to reflash the ROM totally 'bricks' the iPAQ and destroys it. I certainly take no responsibility if you make things even worse than before.

If none of this gets you going, you're probably stuck. The seller was naughty for using an unofficial upgrade. HP are unlikely to want to help, considering that a beta ROM was used - effectively code stolen from them.

David
Pat Boy Slim UK
Regular Visitor

PostPosted: Mon Jun 14, 2004 4:51 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

DavidW,

I see what you mean,and i was lucky not to trash the ipaq ! Work wouls somehow of blamed me !
Steuart
Occasional Visitor

PostPosted: Tue Jun 15, 2004 9:24 am    Post subject: Still No Joy Reply with quote

Well the saga continues.

HP wanted £180 to repair it - I could buy another cheaper!

Pocket PC my a***! PC's have a repair disc!!

Now in the hands of a local PC shop and their HEX expert.

All avenues of re-installing older Rom Flashes failed. Would an independant BT driver sort it maybe?

Chers

Steuart
DavidW
Pocket GPS Moderator
Pocket GPS Moderator

PostPosted: Sat Jun 19, 2004 4:37 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I told you HP's charge would be high - after all, you're asking for the device to be recovered from unlicensed beta software that HP themselves did not make publicly available. The service centre will probably assume they have to connect a flash programmer directly to the iPAQ's main circuit board, and program the device from scratch, which is an involved and lengthy procedure. In fact, the price may actually be that for a new main board.

Talking about recovery discs is possibly misleading. The equivalent with a PC is not a trashed hard disc, but a trashed motherboard BIOS. Some BIOSes have flash recovery (often a way of forcing the machine to flash a BIOS from a special floppy) - some don't. If there's no flash recovery, your only options are to use an external flash programmer to flash a working BIOS or replace the board.

A possible answer is here. However, I can't really endorse that solution, and I don't think there's any legal way of getting hold of the flasher program used.

Independent Bluetooth driver - I can't see how you'll get low level hardware drivers for the 3970's Bluetooth hardware, or how you'll get hold of a copy of the Widcomm Bluetooth stack that's licensed (remember that the ROM currently on the Pocket PC is not licensed software either). There's also other problems in the beta ROMs - broken Bluetooth is just the most obvious.

As I said, I'd return the iPAQ to the seller as unfit for use. If you go through all the hassle of getting the Pocket PC 2002 ROM on the machine and the asset details in the flash memory have been trashed, you won't be able to use any software on the machine that uses activation, whether it's Microsoft Reader (when used with DRM protected books) or TomTom Navigator 2 or 3.

David
Oldie
Pocket GPS Moderator
Pocket GPS Moderator

PostPosted: Mon Jul 19, 2004 5:59 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

David et al

I bit the bullet last night and upgraded my iPAQ 3970 PPC 2002 Rom 2.00 to PPC 2003 ROM 4. something. All went well with that part of the upgrade. :D Today I re-installed TT Navigator 3.01 and I was surprised that I did not have to re-register the software or even enter the product code.

Things went pear shaped when I tried to access my GB South map. I could not get Tap-and-hold to work and the PPC kept locking up. However, I had installed a new 16M map of Manchester and that worked OK. So I re-installed the South map but still TTN3 kept locking up.

So I decided to downgrade to 2.10 and that is where things really went wrong. The first failure flagged was that the ROM version on the CD was not compatible with my hardware Exclamation Well to cut a long story short - I ended up with a PPC that would do nothing and the upgrade/downgrade process finally gave the deaded Error 113 message.

The PPC would not synch but I noticed on the screen the text " Compaq Serial v0.48" ( it was barely visible). I had been trying the resets requested by the software but I just could not get any communication between the PC and PPC.

Eventually Idea because the screen message was showing Serial, I thought that I would remove the USB connection and use the Serial lead (COM1) between the cradle and the PC. Once again I went through the downgrade process, but this time the connection between PC and PPC was established and I was informed that the transfer would take 80 mins. Indeed it did take 80 miins, whereas when the USB connection was active the transfer took 15 mins.

I must say that I was very relieved to get a working system back. TTN3 is now installed and working, but again no request for any codes.

The bottom line is to use the serial connection between the Sync cradle and PC if you get into the same mess as me, and the display shows "Compaq Serial v0.48" on the PPC screen. I think I will stay with PPC 2002 ROM 2.10 (for a while at least Wink )

Richard

Posted: Today    Post subject: Pocket GPS Advertising

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Pocket GPS World Forum Index -> PDA/Smartphone Discussion All times are GMT + 1 Hour
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: