Home PageFacebookRSS News Feed
PocketGPS
Web
SatNav,GPS,Navigation
Pocket GPS World - SatNavs | GPS | Speed Cameras: Forums

Pocket GPS World :: View topic - GPS losing signal
 Forum FAQForum FAQ   SearchSearch   UsergroupsUsergroups   ProfileProfile   Log in for private messagesLog in for private messages   Log inLog in 

GPS losing signal

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Pocket GPS World Forum Index -> Beginners GPS Lounge
View previous topic :: View next topic  
major_clanger
Occasional Visitor

PostPosted: Tue Jul 06, 2004 9:08 pm    Post subject: GPS losing signal Reply with quote

Back again to ask for more help... Embarassed

I have now had my GPS set up (TomTom 3 wired, software and 4150) for a few weeks and, in general, have been very impressed. However, I have found that every once in a while, the GPS receiver will lose signal altogether for no apparent reason (ie - in open countryside) and will also consistantly lose signal if going through rain.

Having spoken to a colleague who has the same set up (well 2200 IPAQ) - apparently his "never" loses signal apart from the obvoius (tunnels, urban canyons).

So, I'm wondering if my GPS is at fault... As I said above, it normally works fine and I've had it registering up to 10 satellites at times. I've tried moving it around the car to no avail. Is there any other way I can test it?

Apologies for the rambling post - hope someone out there has an idea...

Cheers

MC
Dave
Frequent Visitor

PostPosted: Wed Jul 07, 2004 8:54 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

A GPS can lose fix in the open, it really depends on signal strength, whether the GPS is obstructed (physically or urban canyons), whether you have an athermic windscreen, whether you have something close that's causing an electrical distortion field.

You then have to consider that there maybe problems with the map if it loses fix at the same position or on the same stretch of road. It's not uncommon to have these problems, but usually you should be able to receive a fix and not lose it if you're out in the open.
BadTasteUK
Occasional Visitor

PostPosted: Wed Jul 07, 2004 9:16 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Dave wrote:
You then have to consider that there maybe problems with the map if it loses fix at the same position or on the same stretch of road.

Ah...I've been searching through the forum for a while trying to find reference to this and I haven't been able to. TT3 always freezes when I come off the M25 at the Chertsey junction until the next roundabout when it's fine again. I put it down to overhead power cables interuppting the signal (don't laugh! Embarassed ). Are there lots of examples of this mapping fault, and should I bother reporting it to TomTom support? :D
major_clanger
Occasional Visitor

PostPosted: Fri Jul 09, 2004 5:36 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Well, rang the nice support people at TomTom and they advised me to turn off the IR port on my IPAQ as that can interfere with the GPS receiver (apparently)...

Tried it - but no success.. will call back on Monday.

Hmmm - another possibility - what's the temperature tolerence for GPS receivers? I mean, if they are designed to sit "with an uninterruped view of the sky" (ie under the windscreen) then I presume that they're designed to cope with getting very hot? Just getting paranoid in case I've "cooked" the damn thing by leaving it in the car...

Many thanks

MC
mrklaw
Regular Visitor

PostPosted: Fri Jul 09, 2004 8:44 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I had exactly this on a trip to kingston upon thames. Around the A308/316 junction, it kept jumping me off to the middle of nowhere, but still indicated 5 satellites. Very annoying. Its also very slow to pick up a signal.

I'm going to give it another week, then its a call to Tom tom to see about a fix/replacement.
alix776
Pocket GPS Moderator
Pocket GPS Moderator

PostPosted: Fri Jul 09, 2004 9:27 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

iwas round that area last week and never lost singal once with my tomtom bt receiver so i doubt its the location

Oh the joys of being a courier.
device Lumia 950 xl
mrklaw
Regular Visitor

PostPosted: Sat Jul 10, 2004 7:11 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

cheers for that. Always good to remove options.

I now have a proper tom tom car kit, so I'll see if a dodgy Y-connector was a problem (generic kit was difficult to click the GPS into)

Posted: Today    Post subject: Pocket GPS Advertising

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Pocket GPS World Forum Index -> Beginners GPS Lounge All times are GMT + 1 Hour
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: