Home PageFacebookRSS News Feed
PocketGPS
Web
SatNav,GPS,Navigation
Brixly - Fast, Reliable, Secure UK Web Hosting
Pocket GPS World - SatNavs | GPS | Speed Cameras: Forums

Pocket GPS World :: View topic - Garmin 2545 Doesn't display all Camera Icons
 Forum FAQForum FAQ   SearchSearch   UsergroupsUsergroups   ProfileProfile   Log in for private messagesLog in for private messages   Log inLog in 

Garmin 2545 Doesn't display all Camera Icons
Goto page 1, 2  Next

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Pocket GPS World Forum Index -> Garmin Portable Navigation Devices
View previous topic :: View next topic  
USFlyer
Occasional Visitor

PostPosted: Mon Aug 06, 2012 12:01 pm    Post subject: Garmin 2545 Doesn't display all Camera Icons Reply with quote

It appears that the Garmin 2545 does not display all PGSW camera icons - most noticebly on motorways. I suspect this issue might also affect the 2595 - these are both very new sat navs.
I have raised this issue elsewhere in the forums (http://www.pocketgpsworld.com/modules.php?name=Forums&file=viewtopic&p=585421#585421) , only to be bombarded with highly technical work-arounds, but I am not particularly technical.
First - is anyone else having this problem with these new models and the PGSW database icons? Please post here and let us know your experiences.
Second - I am in Sheffield and would be pleased for help from someone nearby. Even telephone support would be better than a long written list of technical manipulations that I don't understand.
Any help would be most appreciated.
Thanks.
walkerx
Lifetime Member

PostPosted: Mon Aug 06, 2012 12:28 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Hi,

Do you use Camera Manager, GPX Convertor or just POI Loader?

If use CM do you have the overspeed option selected.

I have similar issue on the 2390 where the camera icons aren't always displayed and use the seperate overspeed option. I'm going to try changing it tonight so not using that and upload to device for tomorrows journey.

The reason for me doing this is because I received this information from PaulB after I placed my review of the 2390 and also looked at the relevant threads regarding the missing icons.

The alerts work fine though, it's just the icons not displaying, but I will keep trying different setups of the cameras and when i think i got it right i will let others know my setup so they can also test if needed

regards
walkerx

Last edited by walkerx on Mon Aug 06, 2012 12:48 pm; edited 1 time in total
M8TJT
The Other Tired Old Man
The Other Tired Old Man

PostPosted: Mon Aug 06, 2012 12:39 pm    Post subject: Re: Garmin 2545 Doesn't display all Camera Icons Reply with quote

USFlyer wrote:
only to be bombarded with highly technical work-arounds, but I am not particularly technical.
As you are asking for help to fix this 'fault' yet again, why don't you ask the people who are trying to help you on your other thread to simplify their suggestions. If you would be more specific about the bits of the 'technical work-arounds' that you are havin problems understanding, I'm certain that you will get a fuller and simpler 'translation'. Just saying that you are not particularly technical, gives the 'helpers' absolutely no idea of your technical expertice and what you can or can't do.
PaulB gave you a method of how to help PGPSW get around this (there is also another thread with someone having similar problems). If you don't understans the 'instructions' Post there, listing the numbers of his instructions that you don't understand and someone will help you understand them
Starting a new thread on the same subject is unhelpful (and against forum rules) , as you are likely to get answers in both threads that will then be difficult to track.
USFlyer
Occasional Visitor

PostPosted: Mon Aug 06, 2012 1:23 pm    Post subject: Mising Icons Reply with quote

To M8TJT:
I have made it clear on the other forum that I don't understand the technical details, and those trying to help me on that forum specifically asked me to post in the Garmin forum to:
a) determine the extent of the problem for users
b) to find someone near to me that can help out
That is what I have done here. I have followed their advice.

My technical expertise is zero - I've made this clear on the other forum.

So, I am hoping that there will be no further unhelpful or personally critical postings here or on the other forum about this problem I am having. Such postings are very unhelpful and should be against the rules!
USFlyer
Occasional Visitor

PostPosted: Mon Aug 06, 2012 1:27 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

To Walkerx:

Thank you for this helpful reply. It is good to know that the missing icons are not down to me doing something wrong. I just use POI Loader. I am interested in Camera Manager, but it seems a bit complex for me.

Any advice would be most appreciated.
M8TJT
The Other Tired Old Man
The Other Tired Old Man

PostPosted: Mon Aug 06, 2012 3:15 pm    Post subject: Re: Mising Icons Reply with quote

I take exception to your last post aimed at me. I was not being personally critical of you, and I was trying to help. But I will now butt out and let you sort it yourself.
USFlyer wrote:
and those trying to help me on that forum specifically asked me to post in the Garmin forum to:
I think they meant in the Forums run by Garmin, not in the Garmin section of the PGPSW forums.
USFlyer
Occasional Visitor

PostPosted: Mon Aug 06, 2012 4:56 pm    Post subject: Missing Icons Reply with quote

I have now spent some time on the phone with Garmin about this problem. They know of no change to how the new models handle 3rd party POIs. However, they did say that the device is capable of handling a large number of of POIs at the same location, so they doubt whether the proximity theory holds.
They also said they do not support 3rd party POIs, and believe (as I do) that if there is an incompatibility with the PGPSW database and their newer devices, that PGPSW may need to adapt the database for new Garmin devices - i.e. - it's not their problem.
So, back to the drawing board!
MaFt
Pocket GPS Staff
Pocket GPS Staff

PostPosted: Mon Aug 06, 2012 5:43 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

We follow Garmin's rules on custom POIs from here: http://www8.garmin.com/products/poiloader/creating_custom_poi_files.jsp

It works on most Garmin devices except for, it seems, their newer ones. Not sure what else we can do seeing as we're following their rules exactly as they advertise.

MaFt

Edited to add: I've emailed a contact at Garmin to see if they can shed any light on this.
USFlyer
Occasional Visitor

PostPosted: Mon Aug 06, 2012 6:32 pm    Post subject: Missing Icons Reply with quote

Thanks MaFt for your interest and efforts.
walkerx
Lifetime Member

PostPosted: Mon Aug 06, 2012 7:39 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I've been messing about with Camera Manager, GPX Convertor and Garmin POI Loader.

When using POI Loader if you choose express it will automatically determine when to provide the alert based on the information in the files.

But this is not always appropriate as you will only get the alert if you are over a) set speed or b) certain distance.

Camera Manager sets the alerts to 0mph which should provide an alert all the time and for redlights a distance of 1320ft.

If you use GPX Convertor it sets the alert to the speed limit (ie 10, 20, 30) and the redlight to 1320ft. This means unless your speeding you won't get the notification.

Default PGPSW download results in the same settings as using GPX Convertor.

So when you run POI Loader set it to manual so you can see when the alert will be triggered and change as neccesary.

So as MaFt says they are using the rule's laid out by Garmin and as Garmin say use the manual option if you wish to override settings yourself...
PaulB2005
Pocket GPS Moderator
Pocket GPS Moderator

PostPosted: Mon Aug 06, 2012 7:51 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I'm confused....

Garmin "don't support 3rd party POIs" yet....

1) provide a set of instructions on how to lay out the data for third party POIs

2) provide a program called POILoader which is designed, developed and provided by Garmin to allow you to load 3rd party POIs to your Garmin device (it won't work with any other brand)

3) when told, that dispite the installation of 3rd party POIs working just fine for over 6 years on a variety of Garmin models, for some reason there is now an issue with loading 3rd party issues to a new Garmin model line it couldn't possibly be Garmins fault.

Quote:
believe (as I do) that if there is an incompatibility with the PGPSW database and their newer devices

Fine. So what is it Garmin? The database hasn't changed and it's still being produced to GARMINS own specifications. What does PGPSW need to change?
walkerx
Lifetime Member

PostPosted: Mon Aug 06, 2012 7:58 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

It's working on mine - the only issue i had was the icons not displaying, but I've just recreated everything using the standard download from PGPSW and manually set the alert to 0mph.

With the voices this gives me a 20mb file instead of the 60mb generated by Camera Manager.

I will see how it performs tomorrow as I go past a few mobile sites daily.

In my view I don't think this is a PGPSW issue but how Garmin do their alerting.
USFlyer
Occasional Visitor

PostPosted: Mon Aug 06, 2012 9:01 pm    Post subject: Missing Icons Reply with quote

Don't be confused. I was advised to contact Garmin. I only reported what they said.

Walkerx - if you manage to get this to work, please give me the instructions to correct this. Remember, the problem seems to be with variable cams on motorways.
walkerx
Lifetime Member

PostPosted: Mon Aug 06, 2012 10:22 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

which variable cams you on about and on which motorway?

I travel from Barnsley every day and only cams i see are the mobile speed cams and the average speed cams.

either way i don't think the problem is with the PGPSW database and more an issue with how the Garmin's work.

Through average speed zone the Garmin built-in cams only show the first and last camera and not any in between.
MaFt
Pocket GPS Staff
Pocket GPS Staff

PostPosted: Mon Aug 06, 2012 10:40 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

PaulB2005 wrote:
I'm confused....

Garmin "don't support 3rd party POIs" yet....

I *THINK* they meant they don't provide support, as in 'help', for 3rd party POI issues. As in if you phone Garmin and ask for hep with PGPSW files they'll say no, contact PGPSW.

As opposed to the devices not being able to use 3rd party POIs.

MaFt

Posted: Today    Post subject: Pocket GPS Advertising

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Pocket GPS World Forum Index -> Garmin Portable Navigation Devices All times are GMT + 1 Hour
Goto page 1, 2  Next
Page 1 of 2

Jump to: