Home PageFacebookRSS News Feed
PocketGPS
Web
SatNav,GPS,Navigation
Pocket GPS World - SatNavs | GPS | Speed Cameras: Forums

Pocket GPS World :: View topic - Blutooth or wired gps???????????????
 Forum FAQForum FAQ   SearchSearch   UsergroupsUsergroups   ProfileProfile   Log in for private messagesLog in for private messages   Log inLog in 

Blutooth or wired gps???????????????

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Pocket GPS World Forum Index -> TomTom Software-Only Products
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Roco
Occasional Visitor

PostPosted: Sun May 23, 2004 3:37 am    Post subject: Blutooth or wired gps??????????????? Reply with quote

Hi Guys
yep me too! i am in the market for a Pda TOmTOm3 bundle.

What i need to know next is
What is the prevailing wisdom, either Blutooth of a wired gps?

I have a BT head set for my cell phone, which i find very unreliable, always "drops" just when you dont want it to. I know that BT is the latest tech nology and the ability to wander with nav system away from the car is a good idea (even if i wont use that every day), but i am i right to be put off by my bt phone experiences? am i better of with a wired gps untill the technology improves? is it guarenteed not to freeze or "DROP" whislt driving alone? whilst i appreciate the way you gove ballanced infomation, if you have a personall recommendation in with the balance, id appreciated it.

Roco
joejoe123
Occasional Visitor

PostPosted: Sun May 23, 2004 10:41 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I think the Pro's will ignore you until you apologize for spamming the forum.
a4ace
Regular Visitor

PostPosted: Sun May 23, 2004 12:35 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

if you don't mind the wires, wired is good. even if you have bluetooth, you may still need to wire on long trips, unless it's hardwired. i may have considered the pharos sdio if it was available, though not sure how good it is. the advantage of bluetooth is it's very easy to take with you when walking/hiking. it really depends on your needs/requirements. i went for bluetooth bec i want a clean wireless mount in my car.
Roco
Occasional Visitor

PostPosted: Fri Jun 18, 2004 12:10 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Hi joejoe123
Humblest appologies to any and all who were affended> Still very new to all this and not at all sure when i have sucessfully posted a message, where the right place to send it should be etc.
Again sorry. Embarassed
bigfatjohn
Regular Visitor

PostPosted: Fri Jun 18, 2004 12:37 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I wanted a clean fitment as well so went for bluetooth.

When it's working it is brilliant but I think that the technology is still very flaky as I suffered numerous dropouts.

I've now bought a Haicom CF receiver, had it less than a week, but the signs so far are that it is more reliable.

At least now I've got a choice. Smile
Traveller
Occasional Visitor

PostPosted: Fri Jun 18, 2004 1:24 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Hi everybody, this is my first post here. Thanks to all the experts on this forum I finally took the plunge into GPS. I have had my GPS for nearly two weeks and loving it. Smile

It seems to me that using bluetooth is introducing an unneccessary weak link in the reliability chain along with the need to charge yet another battery. Of course this assumes building a system from scratch rather than adding GPS to an already owned PDA.

I wanted to have a wire free setup in my car and wanted to walk about with the GPS so I went for an ipaq 2210 and a Haicom mmf CF card. I considered this would give me the best of both worlds - no wires with wired reliability and a single portable unit. So far I am not disappointed. Thumbs Up
alix776
Pocket GPS Moderator
Pocket GPS Moderator

PostPosted: Fri Jun 18, 2004 6:54 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

the bluetooth is fine i run mine for anything upto 15 hours a day and it very rarely drops on my xda2 or 2210 the issue with your phone could be a problem with the headset as the small nokia seam to drop the connection if you move you head with the bt gps this isnt as big a problem

Oh the joys of being a courier.
device Lumia 950 xl
Morris
Regular Visitor

PostPosted: Fri Jun 18, 2004 7:50 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I have no experiance of bluetooth recievers. I can sometimes move my wired mouse and holder between several vehicles in a day. Bluetooth would certainly be easier to move. If you will be keeping it in one vehicle the wired version should be ok. Thumbs Up

Morris

Grzzzzzz Mr. Green
spile
Regular Visitor

PostPosted: Fri Jun 18, 2004 10:49 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I went for wired for three reasons:
1) Cheaper!
2) My PDA doesn't have BT!
3) As I would be plugging my PDA in for power, I figured there would be no advantage in having BT.

Happy with my decision and the wire from the antenna to the PDA is hidden and very discrete, but easy enough to install in another car if necessary.

I did fit a second cigar lighter socket to the rear of the dash which works well.
novaya_zemla
Occasional Visitor

PostPosted: Sun Jun 20, 2004 12:56 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

My sentiments exactly bl - I considered changing my Medion unit because of the spaghetti of wires but as you rightly say, a blutooth setup would still need a lead to power the pda. A far cheaper and more robust setup is use a wire and hide it or mask it as required.
Darren
Frequent Visitor

PostPosted: Sun Jun 20, 2004 1:04 pm    Post subject: Re: Blutooth or wired gps??????????????? Reply with quote

Roco wrote:
Hi Guys
yep me too! i am in the market for a Pda TOmTOm3 bundle.

What i need to know next is
What is the prevailing wisdom, either Blutooth of a wired gps?

Without a doubt Bluetooth. Yes in some combinations it does experience drop-outs but I can confidently say that with my 2210, CF Memory and TomTom BT I have never experienced that, it seems to affect SD Card users more.

CF GPS Receivers restrict you as the PDA/CF GPS Must be loacted where it has a good sky view, not necesarily the place you would otherwise choose, wired GPS Mice are superb but require 12v and result in more wires trailing across your dashboard I guarantee you will at some point wish to use your PDA/GPS combo away from the car.

A BT solution allows you to locate the receiver where it can get the best signal (this could be the rear parcel shelf or even in the glovebox for some people!) and mount your PDA where it suits you best. And a BT GPS can be sued with any BT Compatible PDA and even Smartphones!

Posted: Today    Post subject: Pocket GPS Advertising

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Pocket GPS World Forum Index -> TomTom Software-Only Products All times are GMT + 1 Hour
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: