Home PageFacebookRSS News Feed
PocketGPS
Web
SatNav,GPS,Navigation
Pocket GPS World - SatNavs | GPS | Speed Cameras: Forums

Pocket GPS World :: View topic - Journey Log Files?
 Forum FAQForum FAQ   SearchSearch   UsergroupsUsergroups   ProfileProfile   Log in for private messagesLog in for private messages   Log inLog in 

Journey Log Files?

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Pocket GPS World Forum Index -> TomTom Portable Navigation Devices
View previous topic :: View next topic  
rkm_hm
Frequent Visitor

PostPosted: Thu Dec 15, 2011 4:23 pm    Post subject: Journey Log Files? Reply with quote

According to a recent BBC Northern Ireland item - http://www.bbc.co.uk/news/uk-northern-ireland-16101141 - satmap manufacturers such as TomTom are able to access a log file - holding details of everywhere you've been - whenever you connect your satmap to the internet to update maps, etc.

Is this true of TomTom (if at all!) and, if so, where on my GO Classic can I find the offending files? Are they in plain text, or in a binary format of some sort?

Satmap Active 10+ v1.50 with full UK 1:50k map and 1:25k/1:10k County maps of Hampshire & Warwickshire
falkirk81
Pocket GPS Verifier
Pocket GPS Verifier

PostPosted: Thu Dec 15, 2011 4:45 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Not sure where they are kept or in what format, but Tomtom do collect anonymous data just like that report portrays.

This is what the Tomtom IQ routes data is based on, and if you have a LIVE enabled device with HD traffic on, they use your Tomtom's movements to see where traffic slowdowns are and average road speeds.

There are always options to turn these features off, but I believe that Tomtom knowing about me driving to work and back, or the delay going over the Tyne bridge is of no privacy issue to me.

Steven

iPhone 12
rkm_hm
Frequent Visitor

PostPosted: Thu Dec 15, 2011 5:05 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

My device is not LIVE capable, let alone LIVE enabled! But the BBC article seemed to suggest that there was something stored in the device itself - which could be accessed when connected to the internet via TomTom Home. In that case, it could probably be accessed on a PC by looking at a particular file on the SD card - if you know what to look for.

Where I go isn't much of a privacy issue, but I can imagine some people not wanting their wife to know that they've been visiting their mistress, or not wanting the police to know how fast they've been going!

I'm just curious to know what - it anything - it has stored about my journeys. Anyone know how to find/decode it?

Satmap Active 10+ v1.50 with full UK 1:50k map and 1:25k/1:10k County maps of Hampshire & Warwickshire
matthewj
Frequent Visitor

PostPosted: Thu Dec 15, 2011 5:55 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

LIVE is indeed not a part of this. My old 910 gathered such info for ages. TomTom Home used to show that it was uploading the info, but I haven't seen it lately.

As for the question - I've never seen anyone describe how it works. I don't think I'd worry about that.
falkirk81
Pocket GPS Verifier
Pocket GPS Verifier

PostPosted: Thu Dec 15, 2011 6:00 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I never said LIVE was the same as the logging described in the video, simply that LIVE devices also contribute more to the logging as they are able to upload more data anonymously.

Every tomtom device 'can' record information like in the video, it is an option when you start using it to provide this data to them to improve maps, realistic journey times (IQ routes) etc.

I do not know however where it is stored or in what format.

Steven

iPhone 12
pcaouolte
Frequent Visitor

PostPosted: Thu Dec 15, 2011 7:50 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

The data gets stored in a folder on the TomTom called statdata.

The files are called triplog-yyyy-mm-dd.dat where yyy-mm-dd represents the date of the journey.

triplog files only get stored if there is a file in statdata called allowtrip.dat.

The triplog files get deleted from the device once they have been uploaded to TomTom using Home. So for people that have TomTom home running automatically most of the time when you look at the device there will be no triplog files present.

The triplog files contain binary data. I have no idea how to decode it despite significant effort to do so. I also can't find anyone else on the interweb who knows how to decode it.
rkm_hm
Frequent Visitor

PostPosted: Thu Dec 15, 2011 8:10 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

pcaouolte wrote:
The data gets stored in a folder on the TomTom called statdata.

The files are called triplog-yyyy-mm-dd.dat where yyy-mm-dd represents the date of the journey.

triplog files only get stored if there is a file in statdata called allowtrip.dat.

The triplog files get deleted from the device once they have been uploaded to TomTom using Home. So for people that have TomTom home running automatically most of the time when you look at the device there will be no triplog files present.

The triplog files contain binary data. I have no idea how to decode it despite significant effort to do so. I also can't find anyone else on the interweb who knows how to decode it.

That explains a lot - thanks. In my statdata folder there's a file called disallowtrip.dat - which is only one byte long. If I change the name to allowtrip.dat, will it then start recording trips? [Not that I will know what they mean if they're binary files!]

I can't see anything in the menu to turn trip logging on and off. Am I missing something, or can it only be done by knife and fork methods?

mikealder
Pocket GPS Moderator
Pocket GPS Moderator

PostPosted: Thu Dec 15, 2011 8:17 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

disallowtrip.dat containg a numeric 2 and nothing else will stop it saving data, you can open the allowtrip.dat file by right clicking it and choosing OpenWith/ NotePad, just make sure when you saveAs that you remember to change the file extension type from txt to dat Wink

The other thing TomTom did with this "user supplied data" a while ago was sold part of it to the Police who could then use it to locate known streches of road where speeding takes/ took place enabling them to position cameras in the best spot to earn revinue, I don't think this was in this country though I might add - Mike
Oldboy
Pocket GPS Moderator
Pocket GPS Moderator

PostPosted: Thu Dec 15, 2011 9:42 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

rkm_hm wrote:
I can't see anything in the menu to turn trip logging on and off. Am I missing something, or can it only be done by knife and fork methods?
I think its controlled in the HOME Preferences Menu.

"Enable collection of anonymous usage statistics."

TT 910 V7.903: Europe Map v1045
TT Via 135 App 12.075: Europe Map v1120
rkm_hm
Frequent Visitor

PostPosted: Thu Dec 15, 2011 10:53 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Oldboy wrote:
rkm_hm wrote:
I think its controlled in the HOME Preferences Menu.

"Enable collection of anonymous usage statistics."

So you set that in Home, with the device connected to your PC, and Home configures the device to log trips by mucking about with the allowtrip.dat and disallowtrip.dat files?

That would explain why there's nothing in the device's own menus.

Andy_P
Pocket GPS Moderator
Pocket GPS Moderator

PostPosted: Fri Dec 16, 2011 5:32 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

rkm_hm wrote:
I can imagine some people not wanting their wife to know that they've been visiting their mistress, or not wanting the police to know how fast they've been going!

Even if you disable the statsdata logging, you'll find all your recent destinations are stored in as plain text MapSettings.cfg (that's how they appear on the Navigate to.... recent destination menu.

The police (and divorce lawyers) love that one!
rkm_hm
Frequent Visitor

PostPosted: Fri Dec 16, 2011 5:52 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Andy_P wrote:
Even if you disable the statsdata logging, you'll find all your recent destinations are stored in as plain text MapSettings.cfg (that's how they appear on the Navigate to.... recent destination menu.

The police (and divorce lawyers) love that one!

Presumably if you just use it to show you where you are - and warn of speed cameras - without setting a route, these destinations don't get stored?

Andy_P
Pocket GPS Moderator
Pocket GPS Moderator

PostPosted: Fri Dec 16, 2011 6:07 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

mikealder wrote:

The other thing TomTom did with this "user supplied data" a while ago was sold part of it to the Police who could then use it to locate known streches of road where speeding takes/ took place

To be fair, I think TomTom actually sold it to a Dutch government agency and it was them that gave it to (or sold it on to) the police.

Selling the data to governments is common practice (about 37% of TomTom's revenues) but they naively didn't realise it might get passed on to the Police. (Which only happened in the Netherlands, AFAIK)

http://www.guardian.co.uk/technology/2011/apr/28/tomtom-satnav-data-police-speed-traps

http://www.ft.com/cms/s/2/3f80e432-7199-11e0-9b7a-00144feabdc0.html#axzz1giTRJy7U

Posted: Today    Post subject: Pocket GPS Advertising

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Pocket GPS World Forum Index -> TomTom Portable Navigation Devices All times are GMT + 1 Hour
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: