Home PageFacebookRSS News Feed
PocketGPS
Web
SatNav,GPS,Navigation
Pocket GPS World - SatNavs | GPS | Speed Cameras: Forums

Pocket GPS World :: View topic - TOMTOM ONE XL slowed down -tried all I can think of - HELP!!
 Forum FAQForum FAQ   SearchSearch   UsergroupsUsergroups   ProfileProfile   Log in for private messagesLog in for private messages   Log inLog in 

TOMTOM ONE XL slowed down -tried all I can think of - HELP!!
Goto page 1, 2  Next

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Pocket GPS World Forum Index -> TomTom Portable Navigation Devices
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Playhard
Lifetime Member

PostPosted: Thu Sep 08, 2011 2:11 pm    Post subject: TOMTOM ONE XL slowed down -tried all I can think of - HELP!! Reply with quote

I have had my TT ONE XL since Jan 2008 and all has been good until recently. I have a new car (Citreon Berlingo van) and have found the sat nav is lagging when turning or at roundabouts etc. The map takes a while to update and sat nav recalculates route due to thinking i'm on wrong road.
This is a nightmare when driving in city centres!

I have read that POIs are the usual problem but I have not added anymore recently. (I have since deleted loads and makes no diff)

So....

Is new car to blame (surely not!)?
Is recent map update to blame?

I have 204MB free space on TT.

Has anyone else had problems and can advise me?

Thanks
mikealder
Pocket GPS Moderator
Pocket GPS Moderator

PostPosted: Thu Sep 08, 2011 3:11 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Check how many POI's are enabled to display on the map, even though you haven't added any recently a simple connection to TomTom Home can often result in all your custom POI's being enabled without you doing anything (its a bug) - Mike
Playhard
Lifetime Member

PostPosted: Thu Sep 08, 2011 4:49 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I have checked which POI categories are displayed on map and most are unticked (all standard TOMTOM supplied POIs are unticked). As for my custom ones, I have pocket GPS speed cams plus keyfuels petrol and work locations (BT exchanges) ticked but nothing else. I have actually deleted the files for other custom POIs in case unticking was insufficient?

I now have way less POIs than BEFORE problem occurred so i'm sure it can't be the usual POI problem.

I doubt it is my new vehicle as satellite strength stays strong at all times but the lag of car icon on map / stuttering map / speed indicator lag / car icon wrongly placed on nearby street etc is making sat nav a major pain.

I suspect problem started after latest map update. Does latest map contain loads of data that my processor is struggling with? Not had problems with previous updates.

Help! Confused
Oldboy
Pocket GPS Moderator
Pocket GPS Moderator

PostPosted: Thu Sep 08, 2011 5:19 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Playhard wrote:
As for my custom ones, I have pocket GPS speed cams plus keyfuels petrol and work locations (BT exchanges) ticked but nothing else.
The Speed Cameras don't need to be 'ticked', but only set up in Warn When Near. With Warn When Near the icons will only display on the Navigation Map, and in your present locality: but using Enable, the icons are displayed on both Navigation and Browse Maps, and the software has to Search and Render all the 'ticked' POI data, which is what slows the Map Refresh rate down.

The Map refresh will start to slow down when you have 4 POIs Enabled, and then become more noticeable as each new one is added and/or your speed increases.

TT 910 V7.903: Europe Map v1045
TT Via 135 App 12.075: Europe Map v1120
Playhard
Lifetime Member

PostPosted: Thu Sep 08, 2011 5:56 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Thanks - I will untick them and try it tonight although the issue only started after a recent map upgrade (& coincidentally new car). It has always worked smoothly with loads mor POIs enabled than at present so think there is more to it?
Playhard
Lifetime Member

PostPosted: Fri Sep 09, 2011 2:38 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Problem still occurs so POI's can't be the issue i'm sure. Not looking good! Sad
dhn
Frequent Visitor

PostPosted: Fri Sep 09, 2011 2:48 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Consider uninstalling and reinstalling the application for your unit.

Sometimes helps in situations like this..
Playhard
Lifetime Member

PostPosted: Sat Sep 10, 2011 3:14 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Ok - do you mean use the TOMTOM home restore function. I did do a backup using this after recent map upgrade although it was after that new map I noticed problem. I did copy entire contents on to hard drive ages ago but the map will be really old. Will Tomtom allow me to download latest map again? (I have current map update subscription).

I would hate to format TOMTOM and then it to never work again if i do it wrong so some guidance would be great Very Happy
dhn
Frequent Visitor

PostPosted: Sat Sep 10, 2011 3:42 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Make an Explorer, not Home, backup of your unit's contents.

Then, delete all the loose files in the root of the unit, NO folders or their contents

Connect to Home and get the application that will be offered. Disconnect properly from Home using the Device Disconnect icon.

See if that helps.
Playhard
Lifetime Member

PostPosted: Sat Sep 10, 2011 5:35 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I have done as you said and will update once i've been able to try it. Thanks.
Playhard
Lifetime Member

PostPosted: Tue Sep 13, 2011 12:45 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Device is still playing up after deleting files in root and updating via TT HOME. I have borrowed another TT ONE XL and used them both at same time to check if new van is somehow causing problems.

However the other TOMTOM seems to be fine. The only difference between the 2 devices is that I have latest (875?) map whereas other device has never been updated so has 2 year old map.

This makes me suspect that for some reason my device is having probs with latest map (problems did start around time of map update). Is there anyway I could either drop back to ealier map to prove this or delete latest map and reinstall using HOME? I have heard that updating with wireless connection can cause issues so maybe map is corrupted??
Andy_P
Pocket GPS Moderator
Pocket GPS Moderator

PostPosted: Tue Sep 13, 2011 6:16 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Ok, try this.

Go to your map folder on the TT, and remove the MapSettings.cfg file temporarily (move it onto your PC).

The TT will create a "fresh" copy of the file when it re-starts.

You'll lose all your POI settings, Home location and other personal locations, but try it for a little while to see if it improves matters.

If it does, then put all your settings back in again manually. Boring, but necessary.

Over the years, there have always been compatibility issues with this file and different map and software versions.

Often when it won't work at all, people have been advised to use the on-screen emulator in Home to modify it by adding a new favourite. This often SEEMS to fix it, but in my experience it can leave behind more subtle issues such as yours.
Playhard
Lifetime Member

PostPosted: Thu Sep 15, 2011 5:18 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Still no good i'm afraid but thanks for your help everyone. Anyone recommend a decent model to replace this one-Laughing Out Loud!?
AliOnHols
Pocket GPS Verifier
Pocket GPS Verifier

PostPosted: Thu Sep 15, 2011 5:47 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Playhard wrote:
....... Anyone recommend a decent model to replace this one-Laughing Out Loud!?
Does anything here grab your fancy? http://www.tomtom.com/en_gb/products/tomtom-outlet-store/
SatMap Active 10 & 20.
Stampy72
Regular Visitor

PostPosted: Fri Sep 16, 2011 2:18 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I think MY TT XL IQ Routes is on the way out as well..

Boots up fine, and can navigate to places already saved in it - however....

When I go to browse the map, the device re-boots...

I've tried all the "tips" above, including formatting the drive - but it still persists on re-booting.

It's even started randomly re-booting whilst out driving too as well...

I suspect the memory "chip" is faulty, any ideas on how I can get it fixed..

Had the device since Nov 2009.
GPS v1.20, Boot 5.5138
Map : "Europe_North" v 900.4602

Posted: Today    Post subject: Pocket GPS Advertising

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Pocket GPS World Forum Index -> TomTom Portable Navigation Devices All times are GMT + 1 Hour
Goto page 1, 2  Next
Page 1 of 2

Jump to: