Home PageFacebookRSS News Feed
PocketGPS
Web
SatNav,GPS,Navigation
Pocket GPS World - SatNavs | GPS | Speed Cameras: Forums

Pocket GPS World :: View topic - help with garmin1490t
 Forum FAQForum FAQ   SearchSearch   UsergroupsUsergroups   ProfileProfile   Log in for private messagesLog in for private messages   Log inLog in 

help with garmin1490t
Goto page 1, 2  Next

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Pocket GPS World Forum Index -> Garmin Portable Navigation Devices
View previous topic :: View next topic  
kelvinpaul
Occasional Visitor

PostPosted: Mon Jan 10, 2011 8:51 pm    Post subject: help with garmin1490t Reply with quote

I want to subscribe to the camera data base but before I do can you help with the following please::

my garmin 1490t is not as user friendly as my old tt 920 regards personalising it to my needs. I have downloaded your poi via poi loader into the garmin but if I then want to download your camera data base it will put it in the same grouping,which is ok but not sure of one thing, In my 920 I can edit individual audio alerts for each poi but how do I do it for audio individualy for costom poi on the garmin. off course I want a completly different alert for your cameras so it stands out, and a few different alerts for other things. should maybe stuck with the tom tom as it seems more flexable and easy as I am not that tek minded but have a determination not to be beat, with some help. regards kelv. Embarassed
PaulB2005
Pocket GPS Moderator
Pocket GPS Moderator

PostPosted: Mon Jan 10, 2011 9:21 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Basically you need a sound file for each CSV file that you are loading. POILoader will automatically assign each sound file to each CSV file with the same name.

If your unit has an mp3 player in it you can use the mp3 files which are available from this site which are ready to use. On the other hand if you don't have an mp3 player you'll need to convert the files to WAV for it first.
kelvinpaul
Occasional Visitor

PostPosted: Mon Jan 10, 2011 10:32 pm    Post subject: help with garmin1490t Reply with quote

thanks for the responce but Im afraid that is a doh from me ?
Is there a blow by blow instruction I can use untill I get to grip with things.
Afraid my problem is not up on all of this. managed to get used to my tom tom but a novice with this and dont understand what you say at the moment.
PaulB2005
Pocket GPS Moderator
Pocket GPS Moderator

PostPosted: Mon Jan 10, 2011 11:09 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

The instructions are about halfway down this page
SQUARE2024
Lifetime Member

PostPosted: Sat Jan 15, 2011 2:37 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

PaulB2005 wrote:
The instructions are about halfway down this page

May be me but a degree in rocket science might be of use

I am having similar problems with my new 1490TV.
The Audacity file I downloaded but that is as far as I have got,just cannot get my head around it at all Embarassed .

My other problem is that even though I downloaded the Garmin POI loader it does not auto run ! in fact even though it is there [somewhere] I cannot find it to launch,The same when I connect up the Unit to the computer it does not auto run .
I am using windows 7 with Firefox .
Any help and sugestions [clean ones] would be more than welcome.

TomTom 520
Christmas Draw 2010 Grand Final Winner Garmin Nuvi 1490TV
PaulB2005
Pocket GPS Moderator
Pocket GPS Moderator

PostPosted: Sat Jan 15, 2011 6:15 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Audacity needs to be installed to your pc so that you can convert the files.

POILoader also needs to be installed and doesn't autorun anyway. Once installed you then use the icon on the desktop or start menu to launch it.
SQUARE2024
Lifetime Member

PostPosted: Sun Jan 16, 2011 1:54 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I might be silverhaired, but i am not silly ,i have downloaded and installed Auadacity,but it is not a straightforward programme to use has any one else use it ? guidance please,
I have down loaded and installed the POI downloader but it does not auto run or has it installed an icon to shortcut it,to make sure i have reinstalled it a couple of times as well.
Looks as if the garmin is going to be used in my wifes car at this ,will give it yet another go this afternoon, verdict so far the garmin is not user friendly

TomTom 520
mikealder
Pocket GPS Moderator
Pocket GPS Moderator

PostPosted: Sun Jan 16, 2011 2:29 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Launch Audacity and use the File/ Open to select your first ogg sound you want to convert, once its loaded use File/ Export as mp3 and the audio file will be saved in the mp3 format. Repeat the above for each of the sound files you want to convert - Mike
PaulB2005
Pocket GPS Moderator
Pocket GPS Moderator

PostPosted: Sun Jan 16, 2011 6:53 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

POILoader will NOT autorun. If you have installed it correctly there will be an icon on the desktop or the Start Menu.

The Garmin system is user friendly however you just don't know how to use it yet.
dales
Frequent Visitor

PostPosted: Sun Jan 16, 2011 9:21 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

PaulB2005 wrote:
If your unit has an mp3 player in it you can use the mp3 files which are available from this site which are ready to use. On the other hand if you don't have an mp3 player you'll need to convert the files to WAV for it first.
mikealder wrote:
Launch Audacity and use the File/ Open to select your first ogg sound you want to convert, once its loaded use File/ Export as mp3 and the audio file will be saved in the mp3 format. Repeat the above for each of the sound files you want to convert - Mike

So if your unit DOESN'T have an mp3 player, launch Audacity and export in WAV, 16 bit mono, sample rate 44kHz.

Dales
kelvinpaul
Occasional Visitor

PostPosted: Sun Jan 16, 2011 11:10 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I have come back to this thread to see any developments to my request for help.
I see I am not the only unsure user.
May I ask that a kind person if possible, can guide me step by step converting the file using audasity and then putting the voice atert into my 1490t.
As I am unfamiliar with the programs and terminolegy and the satnav but not thick,can someone guide me step by step. although my sons will dispute that I am not thick when it comes to programs.. I require a bit of hand holding.
Once I have a step by step guide , I shall sail into the yonder I am sure.

With my tom tom I cut and paste, changed all sorts of files and was able to customise the unit, so I will be able to fly once some kind person can guide me. Sorry to be time consuming but just think of me as a challenging project and how great you will feel once I can get off my crutches and walk PRAISE THE LORD and all that sot of thing.

PS : just wondering is there a vidio anywhere that may help, as a visual prompt will work wonders.
Regards Kelv Shocked
Andy_P
Pocket GPS Moderator
Pocket GPS Moderator

PostPosted: Mon Jan 17, 2011 12:20 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

OK, I can maybe help with the Audacity side of it and then make an educated guess at the POI Loader bit.

Converting the audio files

As dales just said, if your Garmin has an mp3 music player, then you can just use one of the warning voices in mp3 format.

If not, then you need to convert the audio files into .wav format.

Assuming you have Audacity installed and working, download one of the voice warning sets from the TomTom selection (HERE.

Unzip all the individual files from the zip archive by right clicking on it and selecting "extract all" - that should give you a whole list of .ogg files

(if you cannot see the ".ogg" at the end of the file names you need to alter a setting in Windows Explorer. Go to the Tools menu, select "folder options" and then, on the "View" tab, UN-TICK where it says "Hide extensions for known file types. PLEASE do this, as it makes life SO much easier as you can see what's going on when you have lots of files with the same name but of different types.)

To do the actual conversion in Audacity, try the walkthough I did a few months ago HERE.
Rather then just writing them out again, can you try following those and come back if you get stuck, saying exactly which step needs further clarification?

Uploading them to the Garmin
Once you have converted all the files one by one, put them into the same folder where you have put all the other camera files (and any other POIs you want to add).

THEN you run POI Loader from it's shortcut in the Start menu or on the desktop and "point it" at the folder where you put all the files.
I don't have a Garmin so can't be more specific, from there on, but PaulB linked to some instructions just above for this part of the exercise.
So again.... rather then just writing them out again, can tell us if you get stuck, and say exactly where.
SQUARE2024
Lifetime Member

PostPosted: Mon Jan 17, 2011 12:17 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Well after a number of attempts I have managed to change the voices from MP3 to wav although I am not 100% if the 44khz is correct, any way they have been loaded together with the camera database to the garmin, I will use it in parrallel with my tomTom to night when I go to work and see what happens.

TomTom 520
dales
Frequent Visitor

PostPosted: Mon Jan 17, 2011 6:26 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

You can check on the 44 kHz for each wav file quite easily.
R-click the file, click Properties, click the Summary tab. This shows all the info required.

Also, don't forget to put sox.exe into C:\Garmin (or wherever you've installed PoiLoader.exe).

You should be able to test the voices in Demo mode on the device, by panning the map to somewhere close to a camera, setting your location there, and driving past the camera.

Dales
SQUARE2024
Lifetime Member

PostPosted: Tue Jan 18, 2011 1:47 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Camera data base loaded ok,but i do not have the voice alerts,so it is back to the drawing board.

Silly question is 44khs the same as 44000 hs as the drop down list [audacity] does not go down as far as 44khs.

TomTom 520

Posted: Today    Post subject: Pocket GPS Advertising

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Pocket GPS World Forum Index -> Garmin Portable Navigation Devices All times are GMT + 1 Hour
Goto page 1, 2  Next
Page 1 of 2

Jump to: