Home PageFacebookRSS News Feed
PocketGPS
Web
SatNav,GPS,Navigation
Pocket GPS World - SatNavs | GPS | Speed Cameras: Forums

Pocket GPS World :: View topic - Customising POIs on a Nuvi
 Forum FAQForum FAQ   SearchSearch   UsergroupsUsergroups   ProfileProfile   Log in for private messagesLog in for private messages   Log inLog in 

Customising POIs on a Nuvi
Goto page 1, 2, 3  Next

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Pocket GPS World Forum Index -> Garmin Portable Navigation Devices
View previous topic :: View next topic  
maxdot
Lifetime Member

PostPosted: Tue Jan 11, 2011 8:00 pm    Post subject: Customising POIs on a Nuvi Reply with quote

Hi
With my TT 730T beginning to collapse and news about the TT 1000 being what it is, I've been looking at a Garmin replacement. What I'm trying to discover is how you establish a custom POI folder and fill it with waypoints (in my case basically churches and castles). I've tried asking staff at Halfords/Currys/PC World but I guess we all know how rewarding that can be.
So I was hoping some kind knowledgable person would be able to describe to this neophyte just exactly how you go about that. I've seen the thread and video on installing the Speed Camera database but can't for the life of me find where I might create my own POI file on the Nuvi and fill it.
Help and thank you
Max
mikealder
Pocket GPS Moderator
Pocket GPS Moderator

PostPosted: Tue Jan 11, 2011 8:09 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

You use POILoader which is free from Garmin, put all your POI files in to a single folder on the PC, point the POILoader application at the folder containing the POI files and it will do the rest.
If you are considering the 1000 and own a 730T have a good look at the Garmin 3790T if you want to switch brands, its a very capable device even though its at the top end of the price spectrum - Mike
Andy_P
Pocket GPS Moderator
Pocket GPS Moderator

PostPosted: Tue Jan 11, 2011 8:20 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

mikealder wrote:
You use POILoader which is free from Garmin, put all your POI files in to a single folder on the PC, point the POILoader application at the folder containing the POI files

I presume once you've done that, you can still add individual locations to a particular POI category, on the machine itself?

So what happens if you've loaded a POI file of Restaurants from a website containing (for example) Restaurants A, B, C, D, E.

You then add Restaurants F and G via the Garmin's menus yourself.

But now you see there is an updated list on the Website, with Restaurants A, B, C, D, E, H, I.

How do you get the info back off the Garmin in order to merge it with the new file from the website?

(This may all be obvious if I had a copy of POILoader!)
PaulB2005
Pocket GPS Moderator
Pocket GPS Moderator

PostPosted: Tue Jan 11, 2011 9:37 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

No. You update the CSV files on your PC and upload the lot again each time. You can't edit the files on the unit itself. You can add entries to the Favourites but it separate to the Custom POIs.
maxdot
Lifetime Member

PostPosted: Wed Jan 12, 2011 12:48 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

[quote="mikealder"] put all your POI files in to a single folder on the PC - Mike[/quote]
Thing is I see how you get a new folder from my PC to my unit using POILoader (well in theory at least and with a bit of help from your video), but how do I create a waypoint in the first place to put in the folder? On the TT obviously you can do it on the unit itself but then the folder is already on the unit. Never been too good at out-of-body experiences!
Do you create a folder and import it empty onto the unit to be filled from inside the unit (I guess not judging from PaulB2005's answer to Andy_P's question). So how do you actually create the CSV (?) file on your PC that contains all the necessary information for the Nuvi to be able to put its finger on the precise spot on the map? On MapSource?
I suppose I can't in some fashion use the POIs I've already created on the TT and sort of nudge them across somehow? Come to think of it I'm not sure how I would find them on my TT to do such a thing
Actually I was hesitating between the 3790 and the 1490
Max
djc1610
Regular Visitor

PostPosted: Wed Jan 12, 2011 1:44 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

POIEdit is great for me.

It can be used to create, edit and convert POIs from one formt to another.

VW RNS 510 and TomTom 5200 World
mikealder
Pocket GPS Moderator
Pocket GPS Moderator

PostPosted: Wed Jan 12, 2011 10:24 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Download and install POIEdit to your computer this can open the TomTom POI files and save them in the csv format which is needed for the Garmin POILoader.
Your TomTom POI files will be inside the Western_Europe or UK&ROI folder, they are the files with an extension .ov2 - Mike
djc1610
Regular Visitor

PostPosted: Wed Jan 12, 2011 4:22 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Don't forget you will need to copy the bmp files from the tt.

Andy_P
Pocket GPS Moderator
Pocket GPS Moderator

PostPosted: Wed Jan 12, 2011 8:07 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

PaulB2005 wrote:
No. You update the CSV files on your PC and upload the lot again each time. You can't edit the files on the unit itself. You can add entries to the Favourites but it separate to the Custom POIs.

So on a Garmin you cannot add a location to a POI category while on the move at all?!?!

Gosh, I never realised that! Shocked

That would drive me completely round the bend!
PaulB2005
Pocket GPS Moderator
Pocket GPS Moderator

PostPosted: Wed Jan 12, 2011 8:42 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I believe not. Admittedly the latest unit I have used in detail is the 765T but if POILoader still works the way it used to then I suspect the answer is no.
djc1610
Regular Visitor

PostPosted: Wed Jan 12, 2011 8:53 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

1. Add location to Favourites.(Touch car symbol, await for location to be found, press save and enter name of Favourite)
2. Use info stored in Favourites to amend list of POIs stored on computer.
3. Connect Garmin to computer, power both of them on.
4. Start Garmin POILoader and await until Garmin is found.
5. Browse to find directory containing amended list of POIs
6. Transfer amended list to Garmin.
7. Delete MyPois.gpi on Garmin
8. Rename poi.gpi to MyPois.gpi

What can be simpler than that!!!!!!!!

My old TomTom had several serious problems but the3 software was in many respects infinitely more user friendly that the Garmin version.

maxdot
Lifetime Member

PostPosted: Thu Jan 13, 2011 1:00 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Thank you for the wealth of information

Put like that it does sound ponderous! And I've just ordered a 3790. Hmmm.
And what exactly is the info stored in Favourites that I'm supposed to use to amend list of POIs stored on computer? Latitude and Longtitude? I find it hard to grasp what exactly the process consists of? And can this folder of POIs be stored on the micro card along with the Camera Database? Do they function just as well there as on the unit's own memory, triggering proximity warnings?

On another query does Garmin allow the use of a Silent Voice as TT does, so that warnings are audible while directions are not? Or maybe the voice can be deactivated other than by reducing volume to zero?
Max
Andy_P
Pocket GPS Moderator
Pocket GPS Moderator

PostPosted: Thu Jan 13, 2011 1:15 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

maxdot wrote:
does Garmin allow the use of a Silent Voice as TT does, so that warnings are audible while directions are not? Or maybe the voice can be deactivated other than by reducing volume to zero?
Max

This is somewhat irrelevant for you now, if you're moving to Garmin, but no modern TomTom (including the Go730) needs that "silent voice" bodge.

They all have an option in the Voice Preferences menu to mute the voice, while leaving the warnings and other sounds running normally.
maxdot
Lifetime Member

PostPosted: Thu Jan 13, 2011 10:26 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

That was the solution that TT themselves suggested!

So Garmin have 'an option in the Voice Preferences menu to mute the voice, while leaving the warnings and other sounds running normally'?

Max

PS How do you get a quote from someone else's text in one of those nice white boxes? I though by clicking quote I would do that but all I got were the words quote quote.
Oldboy
Pocket GPS Moderator
Pocket GPS Moderator

PostPosted: Thu Jan 13, 2011 10:59 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

maxdot wrote:
PS How do you get a quote from someone else's text in one of those nice white boxes?
If you click the Quote button at the top right of the Post you wish to refer to, it opens the Post a Reply screen with the text already inserted. Just delete the text that you don't want, as I did with yours.

Do NOT use the Post Reply button at the bottom of the Topic.

TT 910 V7.903: Europe Map v1045
TT Via 135 App 12.075: Europe Map v1120

Posted: Today    Post subject: Pocket GPS Advertising

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Pocket GPS World Forum Index -> Garmin Portable Navigation Devices All times are GMT + 1 Hour
Goto page 1, 2, 3  Next
Page 1 of 3

Jump to: