Home PageFacebookRSS News Feed
PocketGPS
Web
SatNav,GPS,Navigation
Pocket GPS World - SatNavs | GPS | Speed Cameras: Forums

Pocket GPS World :: View topic - Nuvi 250 European Maps - POI Limit (Xmas help please!)
 Forum FAQForum FAQ   SearchSearch   UsergroupsUsergroups   ProfileProfile   Log in for private messagesLog in for private messages   Log inLog in 

Nuvi 250 European Maps - POI Limit (Xmas help please!)

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Pocket GPS World Forum Index -> Garmin Portable Navigation Devices
View previous topic :: View next topic  
petejonlincoln
Occasional Visitor

PostPosted: Sat Jan 01, 2011 10:08 am    Post subject: Nuvi 250 European Maps - POI Limit (Xmas help please!) Reply with quote

Hi, I (well the wife) has been given a second hand Nuvi 250 for Xmas. I already have a 7xx series which I have no problems loading custom POI/Speed cam DB on.

However, the Nuvi 250 seems to have a limit on the number of POI's it can store/display. I loaded the speed cam DB via POI loader (it didnt error and informed of the 11k+ POIs loaded) - but the unit only seems to display (within the extras/POI area) a few pages of POI's

I then cleared unit, loaded JUST National Trust POI's and they seem to be showing on the unit/map - then loaded the speedcam DB again, and the National Trust icons are missing - so Im thinking that there must be a limit?

I googled this and found various posts saying there is a 500 POI limit, others say no limit...

Does anyone have a Nuvi 250 and has managed to load all of the speed cam DB + more POI's??

PS, unit is up to date, using 2010 maps (on seperate SD card) - POI's are all loaded to the main unit (but didnt seem to make a different if I loaded to card?)

Thanks
Andy_P
Pocket GPS Moderator
Pocket GPS Moderator

PostPosted: Sat Jan 01, 2011 9:50 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I'm no Garmin expert, but I seem to remember seeing warnings on this site about a POI category limit on some nuvis.

however after a quick look round, I can't see them in the prominent places I thought they would be, so maybe it was fixed with a software update and PGPSW felt able to remove the warnings. (I could be dreaming all this!)

Hopefully someone with more Garmin experience will be along soon, but are you sure the nuvi's software is upto date?
Andy_P
Pocket GPS Moderator
Pocket GPS Moderator

PostPosted: Sat Jan 01, 2011 9:54 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

UPDATE... found it!

On the PGPSW free POI download page HERE it says:
Quote:
Special Note to nuvi users: DO NOT TRY TO INSTALL MORE THAN 257 POI CATEGORIES AS THIS WILL CAUSE YOUR UNIT TO FAIL TO BOOT! It is advisable to install the POIs onto a separate SD Card so if you do have problems then you can remove the poi.gpi file from the memory card from a separate card reader.
LATEST:
This issue has been resolved with version 3.90 of the firmware for nuvi 310 and 360, version 4.60 of the firmware for nuvi 300 and 350 and version 4.10 of the firmware for nuvi 660.
Note: Whilst the failure to boot issue has been resolved with the new firmware it appears some units continue to exhibit issues if more than 256 POI categories are installed. Affected units will only list the first 256 POI Catgories and all icons will appear as grey blobs on the map. This problem has so far been reported with the nuvi 310 and is a possible problem with the nuvi 350.

Have you exceeded that 256 category limit?

Maybe the gist of that warning needs to be added to the speed camera installation instructions page too.
PaulB2005
Pocket GPS Moderator
Pocket GPS Moderator

PostPosted: Sat Jan 01, 2011 10:12 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

With many units the result of loading too many POIs will be the icons appear as grey blobs instead of the icons.

You need to be a bit more specific as to what is or is not appearing where. Is it in the list of Custom POIs or on the map? Also as Andy mentions how many poi (CSV) files are you loading? Finally are you loading the speed cams and the POIs at the same time?

Also note the custom poi lists only show the closest 50 POIs to your location so some lists may appear short.

Without a more detailed description of the problem its hard to comment.
petejonlincoln
Occasional Visitor

PostPosted: Sun Jan 02, 2011 9:47 am    Post subject: Ill check Reply with quote

Ill look into the grey blob suggestion.

Nuvi 250 is up to date, latest firmware, POI loader gave no errors and unit does boot OK - Ill feedback info later

Thanks

Posted: Today    Post subject: Pocket GPS Advertising

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Pocket GPS World Forum Index -> Garmin Portable Navigation Devices All times are GMT + 1 Hour
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: