Home PageFacebookRSS News Feed
PocketGPS
Web
SatNav,GPS,Navigation
Pocket GPS World - SatNavs | GPS | Speed Cameras: Forums

Pocket GPS World :: View topic - Next map update due when?
 Forum FAQForum FAQ   SearchSearch   UsergroupsUsergroups   ProfileProfile   Log in for private messagesLog in for private messages   Log inLog in 

Next map update due when?

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Pocket GPS World Forum Index -> TomTom Portable Navigation Devices
View previous topic :: View next topic  
robbooth
Lifetime Member

PostPosted: Mon Jan 03, 2011 2:53 pm    Post subject: Next map update due when? Reply with quote

Wife has just bought a 550 from Comet - but when is the next map update due?
dhn
Frequent Visitor

PostPosted: Mon Jan 03, 2011 3:01 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

860 was released on November 17th. So, if TT keeps to its 3 month release schedule, I would guess any time from mid February onwards.

Guess you're wondering when and if to go for the Latest Map guarantee.

I would think that the new map (865) will NOT be released within the 30-day window if the unit was bought in the last day or so.
robbooth
Lifetime Member

PostPosted: Mon Jan 03, 2011 3:24 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

How does the LMG work? - does the 30 day countdown start from the first time it switched on or the first time it is connected home or something else? - it's still in the sealed in the box at the moment - she wants me to set it up but it won't be until next weekend at the earliest - she not desperate for it and she has a Garmin already that she knows how to use.
dhn
Frequent Visitor

PostPosted: Mon Jan 03, 2011 3:36 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Some say the clock starts ticking the first time you log into Home. So, I suppose if you keep it in the box till the end of January, it's possible that the LMG would apply if the 865 map had been released within the new 30-day window.

BUT............... I wouldn't bet the farm on it.
DennisN
Tired Old Man
Tired Old Man

PostPosted: Mon Jan 03, 2011 3:50 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

LMG procedure doesn't seem to be graven in stone. I didn't link my latest device to my PC until I was ready to go with LMG at the last minute and it worked for me.

But farmer David is correct. The problem is "30 Days" and when do they start. It will be 30 days from when you first fire it up OR from when you first connect it to your PC. HOWEVER, the true problem is that if it falls over for whatever reason and you have to resort to begging TomTom to fix it for you, one of the things they'll do before anything else is demand from you a copy of your proof of purchase and if that's more than 30 days ago they might shrug their shoulders. This happened to me once - I received a free TT satnav with my previous new Renault van, except the device didn't arrive until some weeks after I took delivery of the van and for some reason, I needed to get TT to activate my LMG. With no purchase of the device, they asked for a copy of the invoice for the van and that was well outside the 30 days. I eventually succeeded with LMG only after getting a letter from Renault HQ somewhere confirming that my device was not supplied with the vehicle, but posted to me separately on XX date.

When you do go for LMG, before downloading ensure you look at the "More Details" entry in the offer to make sure it's giving you v860, not 855 (I agree with David that you are unlikely to succeed in extending to the February new map release).

If it tastes good - it's fattening.

Two of them are obesiting!!

Posted: Today    Post subject: Pocket GPS Advertising

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Pocket GPS World Forum Index -> TomTom Portable Navigation Devices All times are GMT + 1 Hour
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: