Home PageFacebookRSS News Feed
PocketGPS
Web
SatNav,GPS,Navigation
SurfShark VPN for Streaming TV
Pocket GPS World - SatNavs | GPS | Speed Cameras: Forums

Pocket GPS World :: View topic - Old 520 New XXL - transfer POIs and map subs?
 Forum FAQForum FAQ   SearchSearch   UsergroupsUsergroups   ProfileProfile   Log in for private messagesLog in for private messages   Log inLog in 

Old 520 New XXL - transfer POIs and map subs?

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Pocket GPS World Forum Index -> TomTom Portable Navigation Devices
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Regular Visitor

PostPosted: Sat Dec 18, 2010 2:33 pm    Post subject: Old 520 New XXL - transfer POIs and map subs? Reply with quote

Hi, I have just bought a XXL from one of the shopping channels (ideal World) and I am now wondering if I can transfer all my old POI's onto my new device. I don't think it has the separate SD card slot like my 520, but will it have spare capacity on the memory to store my beloved POI's.
Also while I'm on, I have signed up to 18 months map updates of TT, will this transfer over as well?. Also what else will I be missing/gaining from the new devise. I know it doesn't have Bluetooth (never use it) or store music (never used that neither) but will there be any major differences between the two. I have 30 days to send it back if I'm not happy.
The unit also comes with a RDS Traffic Receiver, I know from reading this forum there is a lot of mixed feelings regarding RDS, can someone reassure me either way on the accuracy of RDS and if it's worth it.

Thanks.
dhn
Frequent Visitor

PostPosted: Sat Dec 18, 2010 2:55 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

You can certainly transfer your custom ov2 files from the backed up map folder on the 520 to the specific map folder on the new unit. Use Explorer.

The biggest thing you'll miss is the slot that can handle up to a 32 gig sdhc storage card.
EricWB
Frequent Visitor

PostPosted: Sat Dec 18, 2010 3:02 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Your map update subscription will not automatically transfer to your new device its at the discretion of TT themselves you will have to contact them to find out.

What went wrong with the 520 to mean you purchased another newer device that is NIMHO as good as the one you already have?

If it was just a battery problem that would have been worth repairing.
harley-noj
Regular Visitor

PostPosted: Sat Dec 18, 2010 5:25 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

If you connect your new unit to Home (back up first with windows) and log into your TT account it will let you switch units once every 6 months. Gives plenty of warning notices about your services will now only work with your new unit, do you want to continue etc..
Just done this today with a new Rider V2 and all has worked Ok including my map update service!!!!
Hope this helps Noj
Regular Visitor

PostPosted: Sat Dec 18, 2010 5:31 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

The wife started it of, she said she buy me a new one for xmas. It should be a bit better, bigger screen and the fancy traffic gizmo, plus it has European mapping (just in case I venture abroad). One thing has just occurred to me, will the maps for Europe be as comprehensive as they are for the UK. Anyway like I said I've got thirty day to decide if it's any better.
EricWB
Frequent Visitor

PostPosted: Sat Dec 18, 2010 7:24 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Just my opinion let others give theirs, the 520 is probably one of the very best TT devices ever sold, except for battery capacity. With the SD card slot it can easily be upgraded for full European mapping and other countries in the world as well, so I would suggest you exercise your 30 day re-fund option and just buy some European maps.

I don't know if you could exchange your UK & ROI map update for the European version, you may just have to accept the euro maps as a separate addition.
IanS100
Frequent Visitor

PostPosted: Sun Dec 19, 2010 11:24 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I gave my 520 to my daughter when I upgraded to a 550 and as far as basic navigation & routing goes there is little or no improvement unless you want prettier icons & live services etc. One big advantage of the 520 is the 'full size' SD card slot - I moved the complete O/S and maps onto a very fast Sandisk card which gave a distinct performance improvement, sadly the 550 uses MIcroSD which are nowhere near as quick, that's progress for you!!
Andy_P
Pocket GPS Moderator
Pocket GPS Moderator

PostPosted: Sun Dec 19, 2010 8:47 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

IanS100 wrote:
MIcroSD which are nowhere near as quick, that's progress for you!!

Are they not?

There was a lot of confusion with the old way of measuring card speeds using the "x times speed" method, so it was hard to make direct comparisons (see Wikipaedia HERE)

But with the new "Class" method, normal cards go up to Class 10 and you can certainly get Class 10 Micro SDHC cards

A pretty fast card under the old measurement system might have been "x133" such as this card, but that one is only a Class 6.
Guivre46
Frequent Visitor

PostPosted: Sun Dec 19, 2010 10:31 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

That looks an excellent spec. Price a bit eye-watering though....
Kia In-dash Tomtom
Andy_P
Pocket GPS Moderator
Pocket GPS Moderator

PostPosted: Sun Dec 19, 2010 11:12 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Exactly...
You can get a class 10 card (normal or micro) for a lot less, with a guaranteed sustained write speed rather than a rather vague "peak read (or maybe write) speed".
IanS100
Frequent Visitor

PostPosted: Mon Dec 20, 2010 1:28 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Andy_P wrote:
IanS100 wrote:
MIcroSD which are nowhere near as quick, that's progress for you!!

Are they not?

There was a lot of confusion with the old way of measuring card speeds using the "x times speed" method, so it was hard to make direct comparisons (see Wikipaedia HERE)

But with the new "Class" method, normal cards go up to Class 10 and you can certainly get Class 10 Micro SDHC cards

A pretty fast card under the old measurement system might have been "x133" such as this card, but that one is only a Class 6.

Comparing Sandisk's fastest SDHC & Micro SD cards and their own blurb:-

Sandisk Extreme III 4GB SDHC Card: Minimum 30MB/ sec sequential read/write speeds

The Sandisk 4GB Mobile Ultra Micro-SD card: Has a read speed of 15mbp/s and a write speed of 9mbp/s and is currently the fastest 4GB card on the market.

There is also the older Sandisk Extreme II which promised 20MB/ sec which was still faster than their latest and fastest Micro SD

I'm not an expert on these things and I may be missing something but on paper the SDHC looks to be very much faster than the Micro SD
Andy_P
Pocket GPS Moderator
Pocket GPS Moderator

PostPosted: Mon Dec 20, 2010 6:06 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I think this is why you need to be so careful of manufacturer's blurb, and why the industry was eventually forced to use the standardised "Class" speed ratings instead of their own sets of figures that could be tweaked to show their products in the best light.

For example, I just Googled "SanDisk Extreme III" and found THIS 4GB ONE. It claims "30MB/s" but it is actually only Class 6 speed - a reasonable speed, but nothing amazing at all!

Lower down on the same page is a 16GB one, that ALSO says 30MB/sec but that is a Class 10 so is nearly twice as fast on the standardised test (10MB/s rather than the 6GB of the Class 6)

Confusing I know, but that's why the 'Class' ratings were brought in, and as I say, you can certainly get Class 10 MicroSD cards too.
Regular Visitor

PostPosted: Mon Dec 20, 2010 7:39 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Yes but...........520 or XXL
Andy_P
Pocket GPS Moderator
Pocket GPS Moderator

PostPosted: Mon Dec 20, 2010 8:15 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Sorry, 1304, we're drifting....

What was it you still needed to know?

There should be enough space on the XXL memory for a bunch of POI files - they're tiny compared to the map files.

RDS I can't say, I use the LIVE services.

Posted: Today    Post subject: Pocket GPS Advertising

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Pocket GPS World Forum Index -> TomTom Portable Navigation Devices All times are GMT + 1 Hour
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: