Home PageFacebookRSS News Feed
PocketGPS
Web
SatNav,GPS,Navigation
Pocket GPS World - SatNavs | GPS | Speed Cameras: Forums

Pocket GPS World :: View topic - Just got an IPAQ 3660 - Need Assistance Please
 Forum FAQForum FAQ   SearchSearch   UsergroupsUsergroups   ProfileProfile   Log in for private messagesLog in for private messages   Log inLog in 

Just got an IPAQ 3660 - Need Assistance Please

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Pocket GPS World Forum Index -> Beginners GPS Lounge
View previous topic :: View next topic  
biggy7
Occasional Visitor

PostPosted: Mon May 24, 2004 11:27 pm    Post subject: Just got an IPAQ 3660 - Need Assistance Please Reply with quote

Right guys, my journey to getting a pda/sat nav system has begun.

I picked up an IPAQ 3660 today with a CF Sleeve.

Ive googled and it appears to be running Pocket PC 2002 OS.

Now is there any important update patches i need to install or anything like that to make it run better? its only going to be used in the car for sat nav.

i noticed there are PocketPC 2002 Service Packs, but how do i know if there already been installed? and do you think i should install them?

As for the bios, ive done a soft reset (found out by googling) and in the bottom right hand corner it says 2.14, and i believe the latest bios (or last bios for the 3660) was 2.20, should i upgrade to the latest bios? or isnt it worth upgrading to 2.20?

ive been to the HP site: http://h18007.www1.hp.com/support/files/handheldiPAQ/us/locate/71_1334.html#0 and there seems to be quite alot of updates, but its just confusing me more!

Next step will be to get a GPS receiver and a CF card - any do's and dont's about which ones to go for?

Thanks for looking, im a complete newbie to this,

regards
DavidW
Pocket GPS Moderator
Pocket GPS Moderator

PostPosted: Tue May 25, 2004 12:16 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

The 2.20 ROM postdates all but End User Update 3 - so if you want to upgrade to the latest software, install the 2.20 ROM, followed by End User Update 3. None of the other updates/upgrades are relevant.

CompactFlash GPS receivers - I've got a HI-303MMF that I'm very happy with. I'd suggest the MMF over the E or S versions.

David
biggy7
Occasional Visitor

PostPosted: Tue May 25, 2004 1:12 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

thanks mate, Haicom HI-303MMF CF GPS receiver seems good,

but where would i put the compact flash card that im gona get?
DavidW
Pocket GPS Moderator
Pocket GPS Moderator

PostPosted: Tue May 25, 2004 1:23 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I'd use it with a cable on your proposed setup - unless you can track down a dual CompactFlash expansion pack (such things do exist). That's the joy of the Haicom - it'll work with a cable or as a CompactFlash GPS, also you can buy the HI-401 and turn it into a Bluetooth GPS.

Another alternative would simply be to buy a wired GPS; you'd probably save money that way. If you're after TomTom Navigator 3, you could buy the wired GPS pack and an iPAQ 3600/3700 cable.

David
biggy7
Occasional Visitor

PostPosted: Tue May 25, 2004 2:11 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

cheers dude, yeh i think a wired solution would be better

what you think of this: http://cgi.ebay.co.uk/ws/eBayISAPI.dll?ViewItem&category=3730&item=4133040943&rd=1
DavidW
Pocket GPS Moderator
Pocket GPS Moderator

PostPosted: Tue May 25, 2004 3:32 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

That product should work just fine - make sure you stress that you need the iPAQ 3600/3700 cable, as it's different to the cable needed for later iPAQs.

David
biggy7
Occasional Visitor

PostPosted: Tue May 25, 2004 3:54 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

cheers mate! will be ordering that, and a 256mb CF card from valueflash...
DavidW
Pocket GPS Moderator
Pocket GPS Moderator

PostPosted: Tue May 25, 2004 4:29 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Just one more thing - my reading of that eBay price is that it doesn't include the TomTom Navigator 3 software.

You may like the price the software, or even the software and GPS bundle separately - you could look at ebuyer.com as well as many of the advertisers you'll see over to the right.

However, it sounds as if you're on the right lines. I'm presuming you've got some kind of CompactFlash expansion pack on the iPAQ to fit your storage card - if not, you'll need one of those.

David
biggy7
Occasional Visitor

PostPosted: Tue May 25, 2004 4:43 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

yeh im gona grab my mates tomtom software, he doesnt use sat nav anymore, so is giving me the software for me to use.

do you think £69.99 for a gps receiver and power cable is a good price?

for me its a choice between a wired mouser and an emtac gps jacket.

the emtac can be had from expansys for £79, but will also need to a buy in car power cable which is £19.99 from most online gps retailers,

if i get the wired gps from the above ebay auction i can save £30, what you reckon?

ive already got a CF sleeve which came with the pda i just bought.

i just then need to buy a CF card and then i can start using it.
DavidW
Pocket GPS Moderator
Pocket GPS Moderator

PostPosted: Tue May 25, 2004 10:52 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Sounds like you're sorted then, apart from an in car mount.

I'd buy the wired GPS mouse and cable, also a CompactFlash card, and you should have everything you need.

David
biggy7
Occasional Visitor

PostPosted: Sat May 29, 2004 8:34 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

right, just an update.

got tomtom3 installed with GB maps on my cf card, all is working fine Smile

also installed checkpoint along with the speed camera poi's and the postcode program from digitools.

is there anything else i should install?

also should i upgrade to tomtom 3.01? will it make any difference in performance? ive read on these forums that for a 3660, its not wise to use GPS drivers 2.09, and to use 2.07 or 2.08, tomtom3 installs 2.09, and seems to be working fine, but how do i change it to a lower version?

also i do find the tomtom address lookup rather rubbish, it lists my house in "staffordshire", yet its in Cheshire. They defo need to sort this out.

will be sending a copy of the open letter to them aswell!
DavidW
Pocket GPS Moderator
Pocket GPS Moderator

PostPosted: Sat May 29, 2004 2:42 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I'm using GPSAssist 2 instead of CheckPOInt these days - but that's a personal thing. GPSAssist 2 is still being developed at this time; there's a lot of features still on their way. Having said that, I am one of the beta testers, and paid my registration fee when it was still in relatively early beta.

Navigator 3 3.01 is recommended - there's quite a few bug fixes from version 3.00.

GPS - if what you've got works, there's a big argument for not changing it. I'm surprised you've got 2.09 installed by Navigator 3 - usually 3.00 is the version on Navigator 3 CD-ROMs, though there are various different versions of the CD-ROM.

If you do want to downgrade, go to Start Menu, Settings, System tab, Remove Programs, tap "TomTom ~ GPS" and Remove. You'll probably be told to press OK to soft reset. Do it again (version 2.08 and upwards require two uninstalls to really uninstall) - if you're not prompted to soft reset after the second uninstall, I'd uninstall anyway.

You can then install your preferred version of GPS in the usual way - with ActiveSync running and connected, run the installer.

Apart from the address lookup issue (which I agree is bad - I will try to contact TomTom's CEO next week about it), are you pleased with your purchase?

David
biggy7
Occasional Visitor

PostPosted: Sat May 29, 2004 7:21 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

hi mate

thanks for the replies, you've been most helpful Smile

yep overall i think im happy with my purchase, although i wont be using it on a daily basis, as i do travel the same roads, but is very handy to have:) the only hardest bit is putting in the address where you wanna go, as it can take a bit of time going through the drop down menu, but using the postcode tool simplifies this.

what is the preffered setting, quickest or shortest?

used it to today to works and purposely (sp?) took some wrong turns, it did figure out where to go which was very coool.

also noticed that it does alert me for roundabouts, which are not there any more! (they were there, but since been made into a straight road), tomtom do really need to update their maps, but thats with 3.00, i wonder if 3.01 will correct some maps? although for a such a small download i dont think it will.

anyway, will have some more fun with it tommorow, many thanks!
DavidW
Pocket GPS Moderator
Pocket GPS Moderator

PostPosted: Sat May 29, 2004 8:10 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

It's rare that TomTom offer updated maps for a product before a new major version comes out - normally this only happens if serious problems are found. The only new UK maps came with the launch of Navigator 2 and again new maps with the launch of Navigator 3.

You can report map errors to TeleAtlas here.

Quickest is the usual setting - shortest can produce interesting but convoluted routes.

David
biggy7
Occasional Visitor

PostPosted: Sat May 29, 2004 10:14 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

cheers mate :D

Posted: Today    Post subject: Pocket GPS Advertising

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Pocket GPS World Forum Index -> Beginners GPS Lounge All times are GMT + 1 Hour
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: