Home PageFacebookRSS News Feed
PocketGPS
Web
SatNav,GPS,Navigation
Pocket GPS World - SatNavs | GPS | Speed Cameras: Forums

Pocket GPS World :: View topic - M20 Speed cams around J5 / J6
 Forum FAQForum FAQ   SearchSearch   UsergroupsUsergroups   ProfileProfile   Log in for private messagesLog in for private messages   Log inLog in 

M20 Speed cams around J5 / J6
Goto page 1, 2, 3  Next

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Pocket GPS World Forum Index -> PocketGPSWorld Speed Camera Database
View previous topic :: View next topic  
mpwilson99
Lifetime Member

PostPosted: Tue Apr 29, 2008 8:02 am    Post subject: M20 Speed cams around J5 / J6 Reply with quote

Hi All,

Sorry if I have missed a previous posting but just wanted to check on something.

The other day I was driving down to Ashford via the M20 (from the M25), but whilst I was approaching J5/6 on the Southbound carrigeway i noticed a gantry with speed cameras above it ( well it at least looked like speed cameras )

I didnt have a warning for it pop up for that set of cameras, but I did have two other warnings after that.

It was a similar story on my way home on the northbound, I think i noticed about 3 gantrys with speed cameras on, but only got 2 alerts.

Ive had a quick look at whats in the database and I can only see 2x lots for each side.

Can you just put my mind to rest and say if the other gantrys have dummy cameras on them or not?

Just out of interest, if the other 2 lots of cameras on both sides are real, how come they dont have the little white blobs on the road like other gatsos do?

Cheers!

MPW
PaulB2005
Pocket GPS Moderator
Pocket GPS Moderator

PostPosted: Tue Apr 29, 2008 10:22 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

The cameras are moved from time to time, hence the dummy / empty boxes still have road markings.

The database accurately reflects the positions of the live cameras only.
Border_Collie
Pocket GPS Verifier
Pocket GPS Verifier

PostPosted: Tue Apr 29, 2008 12:33 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Where did you see the cameras?

I went along that way Monday last week at MaFt's request. Saw all the gantries on the coastbound carriageway with CCTV cameras on poles above the gantries, never saw any speed cameras or road markings.

There are two mobile cameras shown on one overbridge, and a single one further along on another. No vans in position on the day.

If necessary I'll go again and take my wife so she can photograph the gantries. Maybe even take the video camera so I can pause it when I get back home to have a better look.
Andy_P
Pocket GPS Moderator
Pocket GPS Moderator

PostPosted: Tue Apr 29, 2008 12:56 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Anyone got a radar detector you could borrow to double check?
Border_Collie
Pocket GPS Verifier
Pocket GPS Verifier

PostPosted: Tue Apr 29, 2008 4:10 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Andy_P2002 wrote:
Anyone got a radar detector you could borrow to double check?
No. A few people have sat navs, that's it. We're all 'wrinklies' so if we got caught speeding we'd get a medal, not a NIP? Razz

If the weather's OK in the next few days I'll take my dogs over to West Malling Country Park, check again and kill two birds with one stone.

Quote:
but whilst I was approaching J5/6 on the Southbound carrigeway i noticed a gantry with speed cameras above it ( well it at least looked like speed cameras )
Southbound? Towards the coast is Eastbound. Do you mean the white cameras on top of a pole above the gantries?

Quote:
I didnt have a warning for it pop up for that set of cameras, but I did have two other warnings after that.
There are two bridges where mobiles have been seen, warnings probably them.

Quote:
It was a similar story on my way home on the northbound, I think i noticed about 3 gantrys with speed cameras on, but only got 2 alerts.
Northbound? Westbound there are no gantries between J4 and J6 but six or seven on the Eastbound carriageway.
mpwilson99
Lifetime Member

PostPosted: Tue Apr 29, 2008 8:02 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Hi All,

Thanks for follow up posts....

Just to clarify, the speed cameras im sure i see, were on top of gantrys and looked like the standard gatsos in greyish boxes. ( bearing in mind i was driving at the time )

This `look` of the cameras were spotted twice again in that direction along the M20 coastbound ( making it 3 sets of gantrys )

Like i said, its very possible that the first set i come aross was a dummy set, and i certainly appreiciate that we only want the live cameras!

Sadly as this is not my normal stretch of road, so I cannot be specific on where the first gantry was going eastbound to Ashford, but i can only assume it was around 51.29843 0.47907 , as i remember wondering if my PDA was low on steam so may have missed the warning, then after about a minute or so i did get my first warning on a set on the gantrys 44943@70 and lastly 44136@70.

i think it was then in reverse for the way back, i did get to warnings from 44867@70 and 44344@70 but not on another just after that.

Hope that helps?

be glad for any feedback,

cheers

MPW
Border_Collie
Pocket GPS Verifier
Pocket GPS Verifier

PostPosted: Tue Apr 29, 2008 9:46 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Had another look at the map.

There are two pairs of cameras shown.

44943@70 Coastbound and 44344@70 Londonbound.

44136@70 Coastbound and 44867@70 Londonbound.

If these are the ones reported on the Gantries there is a problem.

There are no gantries Londonbound and no over bridges, so where are 44344 and 44867 positioned?

I never got a warning of these cameras as my iGO 2006+ only warns me of cameras if I am at or over the speed limit. I drove at 50mph to have a bit more time to check things out. I never noticed any cameras on the back of the gantries, when travelling Londonbound, so looks like I will have to go again with my wife taking a few photographs. CoPilot
mturner
Occasional Visitor

PostPosted: Thu May 15, 2008 4:46 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Hi All

I think the "Controlled Motorway" is a bad idea on this part of the m20, as soon as a lorry overtakes and everyone uses the outside lane, the traffic will be slowed to 50, which means we cant get past the lorry and queues ahoy!

If you also object, ive setup a petition, spread it about, if we get enough signatures, maybe they will research a bit more into it, rather than using the usual approach of "speed is what causes all of the motorways problems, so slowing everyone down will sort it - right?"

please sign it!

http://petitions.pm.gov.uk/no-m20-speedcams/

Many thanks...
Border_Collie
Pocket GPS Verifier
Pocket GPS Verifier

PostPosted: Thu May 15, 2008 5:24 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Quote:
I think the "Controlled Motorway" is a bad idea on this part of the m20, as soon as a lorry overtakes and everyone uses the outside lane, the traffic will be slowed to 50, which means we cant get past the lorry and queues ahoy!
Controlled or not, people still insist on using the outer 'overtaking' lane as if there are no others. The M20 is notorious for 'rolling road blocks' where one HGV is doing 50 and another overtaking at 52. People travelling in the outside lane at 70+ have no thoughts of letting those stuck in the centre lane out and tailbacks occur.

The resulting congestion could be a reason for switching the control to 50.

If there is traffic ahead and the signs flash up 50, and people stick to it, there's a good chance the road ahead will clear before reaching there. It's the people who ignore the signs who get to the congestion ahead faster and in effect cause even more congestion. Which probably means the signs switched to 40 or even 30.

Barring 'rush hours', if everybody kept to 70, and pulled back to lane 1 or 2 when not overtaking, the traffic would flow better. Some enter the motorway, some leave, it just about cancels itself out.
mpwilson99
Lifetime Member

PostPosted: Thu May 15, 2008 10:18 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Just going back to the original post, I am hoping to be going along this section next week ( if im lucky! ) then I can double check the locations again and be ready this time.

Cheers

MPW
Andy_P
Pocket GPS Moderator
Pocket GPS Moderator

PostPosted: Thu May 15, 2008 10:56 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Good luck! I tried to verify these gantry cameras last week, and when I went past, all the light up signs were completely haywire, showing blocked lanes and spurious 20 limits etc. everyone was so busy trying to decide what to do and not plough into each other, I didn't have much luck with the cameras!

Still, nice to see what a good job these schemes are doing at improving road safety! Twisted Evil

See if you can see any induction loops in the road surface too.
In the similar discussion about the new M25 cameras people are saying they are not triggering any radar detectors (so may not be switched on yet) but seem to have induction loops instead, as per the pics HERE
sdm197
Lifetime Member

PostPosted: Thu May 15, 2008 11:15 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Hi All,

I will drive that route over the weekend and see if I can get some pics like I got of the M25 ones, It will depend obviously if there is anywhere I can stop to get them.

SDM197
sdm197
Lifetime Member

PostPosted: Sun May 18, 2008 2:50 pm    Post subject: M20 Cameras now with pics Reply with quote

Hi All,

I got the pics of the cameras, I drove the section with my Valentine 1 Radar Laser detector, it did go off but not under the camera boxes.

If you look at the pics, the cameras are similar to the new M25 ones with a visible ring light flash tube next to them.

However there also ANPR readers which I took pics of too, but there looks like there are Laser speed guns too, this is the same type of unit that was fitted to the top of the speed van I photographed last week, LED illuminators either side of the glass lenses, these were what set off the Valentine 1, and there are 2 sets coast bound.

Cam Pics

ANPR

Laser Speed Reader? They have the logo CRS on the side I have looked at the original image and enlarged it it has the initials CRS next to an "Eye" logo.

Hope this helps everyone,

SDM197
andyuk99
Occasional Visitor

PostPosted: Thu May 29, 2008 10:59 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Are you sure laser ?

I thought they used Radar ..

However, maybe the laser is for the flow rate only ....
PaulB2005
Pocket GPS Moderator
Pocket GPS Moderator

PostPosted: Thu May 29, 2008 12:38 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Well this is the manufacturers website but information is not very forthcoming....

A lot of the product options result in

---------------------------
Windows Internet Explorer
Function coming soon
OK

Posted: Today    Post subject: Pocket GPS Advertising

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Pocket GPS World Forum Index -> PocketGPSWorld Speed Camera Database All times are GMT + 1 Hour
Goto page 1, 2, 3  Next
Page 1 of 3

Jump to: