Home PageFacebookRSS News Feed
PocketGPS
Web
SatNav,GPS,Navigation
Pocket GPS World - SatNavs | GPS | Speed Cameras: Forums

Pocket GPS World :: View topic - POI warnings
 Forum FAQForum FAQ   SearchSearch   UsergroupsUsergroups   ProfileProfile   Log in for private messagesLog in for private messages   Log inLog in 

POI warnings

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Pocket GPS World Forum Index -> TomTom Portable Navigation Devices
View previous topic :: View next topic  
JoolsTwo
Regular Visitor

PostPosted: Mon Jun 28, 2010 10:43 am    Post subject: POI warnings Reply with quote

I have several POI files with warning sounds enabled, however whenever I update the POI data the warning sound gets reset to bell-1. If I create a custom OGG file with the name of the POI will this stop this from happening or is there another way to do it?

mpwilson99
Lifetime Member

PostPosted: Mon Jun 28, 2010 12:55 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

It shouldnt do this, however there are bugs in the firmware, if I remember my TT Go 720 did something like this.. but I thought it been fixed now.

In between updates, are you restarting up the device again, as this would clear out the config. If not, and its just a like for like file, then no the warnings shouldnt get reset.

I use 100 POI different audible warnings, consisting of the data.chk file and OGG files, I cant say they ever get reset to bells when I update them, which is pretty regular.

MPW
JoolsTwo
Regular Visitor

PostPosted: Mon Jun 28, 2010 2:26 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

thanks for the info. There seem to be many bugs with navcore 8. Any idea when they are rolling out navcore 9 to other devices? if it's going to be some time I may clear the memory out and reload everything.

Andy_P
Pocket GPS Moderator
Pocket GPS Moderator

PostPosted: Mon Jun 28, 2010 2:59 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

JoolsTwo wrote:
Any idea when they are rolling out navcore 9 to other devices? if it's going to be some time I may clear the memory out and reload everything.

It might still happen but don't hold your breath.

How are you assigning the warnings at the moment? There are four methods I can think of

1. Just using one of the OTHER built-in sounds
2. A modified data.chk file (very old method)
3. .ogg format audio files named the same as the POI file
4. .ogg or .wav format files placed in the "sounds" folder.

I would suggest using #4 as that seems the most stable.

As mpwilson99 says, you shouldn't be losing the warnings at all if you just update the POI files themselves. Sounds like it could be a corrupt MapSettings.cfg file (where all the warning setups are stored). This can easily happen if you try to re-use the file after a software or map update. Sometimes it seems to work but has unexpected side-effects like this. I've had it happen myself.

Before you do a complete re-format and re-install, I would try deletinge the MapSettings.cfg file (from your map's folder) and do all the setups again (Don't forget to change all your Favourites and Home location etc. to a POI file first if you don't want to lose them).
JoolsTwo
Regular Visitor

PostPosted: Mon Jun 28, 2010 4:28 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Andy_P wrote:
How are you assigning the warnings at the moment?

1. Just using one of the OTHER built-in sounds
Andy_P wrote:
Sounds like it could be a corrupt MapSettings.cfg file (where all the warning setups are stored). This can easily happen if you try to re-use the file after a software or map update. Sometimes it seems to work but has unexpected side-effects like this. I've had it happen myself.

Quite possible, I've recently updated the map to 8.50, had to copy both mapsettings.cfg & settings.dat to get it to work. But I've added the warnings since then, so it may just be that I'm not operating the device after editing them POIs
Andy_P wrote:
(Don't forget to change all your Favourites and Home location etc. to a POI file first if you don't want to lose them).
How do you make them a POI?

AliOnHols
Pocket GPS Verifier
Pocket GPS Verifier

PostPosted: Mon Jun 28, 2010 7:53 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

JoolsTwo wrote:
.....Quite possible, I've recently updated the map to 8.50, had to copy both mapsettings.cfg & settings.dat to get it to work. But I've added the warnings since then, so it may just be that I'm not operating the device after editing them POI

This info may be wrong but I think a work around is to start up "Operate My Device" in TomTomHome and edit/add a POI and everything should then be normal, but, as I said, I'm probably wrong.

JoolsTwo wrote:
How do you make them a POI?
Make a new POI group and name it something such as "MyFavorites".
View one of your real Favourites in MapView, tap the grey/blue "rose" at the bottom and add location to the new MyFavorites POI group you just created.

NB. If youwant easy access to this POI group, calling it "_MyFavorites" shall ensure that it is near the beginning of the list of POI's.
SatMap Active 10 & 20.
JoolsTwo
Regular Visitor

PostPosted: Thu Jul 01, 2010 11:29 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

AliOnHols wrote:
This info may be wrong but I think a work around is to start up "Operate My Device" in TomTomHome and edit/add a POI and everything should then be normal, but, as I said, I'm probably wrong.

Just launching operate my device after any changes and making sure I eject it from TT home seems to do the trick Smile

Andy_P
Pocket GPS Moderator
Pocket GPS Moderator

PostPosted: Thu Jul 01, 2010 4:35 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

JoolsTwo wrote:
AliOnHols wrote:

Just launching operate my device after any changes and making sure I eject it from TT home seems to do the trick Smile

That was my worry....
Copying and doing tricks like this MIGHT work, or might SEEM to work, but if you have problems with mixed up warning settings that file is the first thing to suspect.

Save it off somewhere as a backup (just that file, then remove it. The TT will create a fresh new one when it next starts up.
Make some changes, including the different sound you want, and see if the problem goes away.
JoolsTwo
Regular Visitor

PostPosted: Fri Jul 02, 2010 12:32 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

as playing around with my poi.dat yesterday had already screwed up all my POI warnings I decided now was the time to delete the mapsettings.cfg and start again.

After deleting it I found in home that all my favourites and what POIs to display where still OK, so I then deleted the settings.dat from the route directory which cleared everything back to default. I noticed however that a new settings.dat is not created, instead a file called newsetting.dat is created. After you eject the device from home and it does it's reboot, the newsettings.dat is renamed settings.dat (still with original creation time).

Reconnecting the device and altering any other settings via home "operate my device" creates or edits the newsettings.dat and ttgo.bif (and traffic.inc in the map folder, whatever that does), saving the files once you exit the operate my device and return to the main menu. mapsettings.cfg only seems to be edited when changing what POIs are shown (not alerts) or when planning routes.

Also another strange quirk, altering the car icon on TT home doesn't change it when the device is operated alone.

It would therefore appearSo this proves that on the later models both these files are needed when updating software of maps.

Posted: Today    Post subject: Pocket GPS Advertising

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Pocket GPS World Forum Index -> TomTom Portable Navigation Devices All times are GMT + 1 Hour
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: