Home PageFacebookRSS News Feed
PocketGPS
Web
SatNav,GPS,Navigation
Pocket GPS World - SatNavs | GPS | Speed Cameras: Forums

Pocket GPS World :: View topic - Merging POI files
 Forum FAQForum FAQ   SearchSearch   UsergroupsUsergroups   ProfileProfile   Log in for private messagesLog in for private messages   Log inLog in 

Merging POI files

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Pocket GPS World Forum Index -> Points Of Interest (POIs)
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Andy_P
Pocket GPS Moderator
Pocket GPS Moderator

PostPosted: Tue Jun 08, 2010 2:08 pm    Post subject: Merging POI files Reply with quote

Hi folks,
I'm looking for a POI utility to help me with a specific job.

We have got several TomToms in the family and we have been making additions to some of our POI categories on each of them.

So they are now SLIGHTLY different and I want to combine them back into one "master" version.

Now, I usually use POI edit, and I know that I can set that to show duplicates (within a certain radius). But as far as I know, I can then only delete those duplicates one-by-one, and in this situation there are hundreds of duplicates and only two or three "different" entries for each category file, so it would take weeks to do.

I could convert the ov2 files to csv and open them in Excel, and I might even be able to find a way to remove the duplicate lines (I'm not clever enough to do it myself, but there's bound to be something on the web) but that seems pretty long-winded.

Does anyone know of a POI utility that can do what I want? - Merge two ov2 files into one and then delete all the exactly duplicate entries in one go?
M8TJT
The Other Tired Old Man
The Other Tired Old Man

PostPosted: Tue Jun 08, 2010 2:38 pm    Post subject: Re: Merging POI files Reply with quote

Andy_P wrote:
{SNIP} then delete all the exactly duplicate entries in one go?
It would take me but a few mins to write an excel macro to do this and re-export the file as a .CSV, providing, as you say, they are exactly duplicate.
Does importing a .csv into Excel then exporting the same file as a .CSV work ok for you when you convert it back to OV2 (or whatever) I'm not a TT user so can't check myself.
JoolsTwo
Regular Visitor

PostPosted: Tue Jun 08, 2010 3:05 pm    Post subject: Re: Merging POI files Reply with quote

M8TJT wrote:
Does importing a .csv into Excel then exporting the same file as a .CSV work ok for you when you convert it back to OV2 (or whatever) I'm not a TT user so can't check myself.

I usually use this for converting my files, works a treat Smile
http://tomtom.gps-data-team.com/poi/csv2ov2.php

M8TJT
The Other Tired Old Man
The Other Tired Old Man

PostPosted: Tue Jun 08, 2010 3:38 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

@JoolsTwo
Thanks for the info mate, I'll keep a not of that for future reference. Very Happy
I don't actually want to convert the files. What I want to know is that if you convert a OV2 file to CSV, import to Excel then save as a .CSV file, whether or not it will convert back to a .OV2 file OK, as sometimes I hve found that Excel screws up the conversion, and adds inverted commas where you don't want them. Sad but not having a TT, I cant test the results of doing this.
DennisN
Tired Old Man
Tired Old Man

PostPosted: Tue Jun 08, 2010 3:56 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I ceased needing to use macros some years ago when I retired, but if the entries are identical I'd sort into alphabetical order, use a simple formula added on a column at the end, comparing row B with row A and if they're identical write BOO, if not identical, write GOOSE. Copy that relative formula down every row. Convert to values (BOO or GOOSE), eyeball to check I agreed they were true duplications, sort the lot on BOO and GOOSE, delete all the rows saying BOO, sort back into alphabetical. (I don't think I'd trust my macro ability to write one which straight off deletes duplicates - I'd prefer to look at each one to confirm it first - course, if I had a daughter handy, I'd print off the spreadsheet and let her do the eyeball stuff!).

Maybe not compare the entire row, only the name column.

If it tastes good - it's fattening.

Two of them are obesiting!!
M8TJT
The Other Tired Old Man
The Other Tired Old Man

PostPosted: Tue Jun 08, 2010 4:07 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Well, BOO to you too
DennisN wrote:
I ceased needing to use macros some years ago when I retired, .
??????????????????????????
DennisN wrote:
(I don't think I'd trust my macro ability to write one which straight off deletes duplicates).
Very Happy
Well, I do, because I'm younger than you Confused Twisted Evil
My macro would probably include a bit of sorting, though Shocked
JoolsTwo
Regular Visitor

PostPosted: Tue Jun 08, 2010 4:44 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

M8TJT wrote:
@JoolsTwo
Thanks for the info mate, I'll keep a not of that for future reference. Very Happy
I don't actually want to convert the files. What I want to know is that if you convert a OV2 file to CSV, import to Excel then save as a .CSV file, whether or not it will convert back to a .OV2 file OK, as sometimes I hve found that Excel screws up the conversion, and adds inverted commas where you don't want them. Sad but not having a TT, I cant test the results of doing this.

I don't normally have many problems. I use tyre to convert OV2 to csv, then excel, then GPS -dat-team to convert back.
I tend to use semi-colon rather than comma as the delimiter, this then combines the title & phone No (ie. title}phone). on so I use a formula to split them again searching on the {greater than} (forum won't let me use a greater than)
You can always use tyre to make sure the conversion has worked OK, I find tyre much more friendly when playing around with POIs anyway.

DennisN
Tired Old Man
Tired Old Man

PostPosted: Tue Jun 08, 2010 5:01 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

M8TJT wrote:
DennisN wrote:
(I don't think I'd trust my macro ability to write one which straight off deletes duplicates).
Very Happy
Well, I do, because I'm younger than you Confused Twisted Evil
My macro would probably include a bit of sorting, though Shocked
Well, remember our TomTom FAQ # 1 - "Do a full Windows Explorer backup first" Laughing Laughing Laughing

If it tastes good - it's fattening.

Two of them are obesiting!!
M8TJT
The Other Tired Old Man
The Other Tired Old Man

PostPosted: Tue Jun 08, 2010 5:11 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

DennisN wrote:
Well, remember our TomTom FAQ # 1 - "Do a full Windows Explorer backup first" Laughing Laughing Laughing
Why would I do that Shocked I don't have a TT Supreme Angel
Oldboy
Pocket GPS Moderator
Pocket GPS Moderator

PostPosted: Tue Jun 08, 2010 6:19 pm    Post subject: Re: Merging POI files Reply with quote

Andy_P wrote:
I'm looking for a POI utility to help me with a specific job. ......... So they are now SLIGHTLY different and I want to combine them back into one "master" version.
See if POIManager, from our own Oldie, is of any use

TT 910 V7.903: Europe Map v1045
TT Via 135 App 12.075: Europe Map v1120
Andy_P
Pocket GPS Moderator
Pocket GPS Moderator

PostPosted: Tue Jun 08, 2010 7:33 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Thank you Oldboy (and even more to Oldie!). That looks like the "one-step" answer I was dreaming of. Smile

If Oldie should see this, could you explain in words of one syllable what the "Append" tickbox does. I couldn't quite get it from the help file.
Oldboy
Pocket GPS Moderator
Pocket GPS Moderator

PostPosted: Tue Jun 08, 2010 8:47 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Andy_P wrote:
If Oldie should see this, could you explain in words of one syllable what the "Append" tickbox does. I couldn't quite get it from the help file.
From memory ..... if the Append is ticked an Output File is generated that includes locations from both files, but only if they are not duplicates within the radius as set in the "skip" range. In other words, de-duplicate and merge.

If you untick the Append Box the Output File only contains those locations that are unique to the Update File. It checks the Update file against the Master File to see what new entries have been made.

In the Help Introduction, select the "Update a master file" Link.

I don't know of a better way to describe it. Sorry it's not one syllable. Sad

TT 910 V7.903: Europe Map v1045
TT Via 135 App 12.075: Europe Map v1120
mpwilson99
Lifetime Member

PostPosted: Tue Jun 08, 2010 8:53 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

POI Manager is what ive always used to compare two separate sets of data in one category. Wink
Its very good! I usually go for 100 metres, but this depends on what your comparing locations with and how sensitive the accuracy is.

I have also written xls sheets to do checks against the co-ords which when populated with two sets of data will show the differences ( i.e if an entry is in one set but not the other or there abouts. )

The append box in POI Manager, is for when you have a file, and you want to append the differences between them to it and inclusive ones. ( i think ) This is the option i use anyroad.
Basically, say if you tried to compare the same file, with NO append, you should get 0 records, with append you will get the same amount.
So if you had a set with 100 POI and another with 100 POI, say one of them had 50 extra and the other 50 where duplicates, the append will return 150 unique records.

Hope that helps?

MPW
Andy_P
Pocket GPS Moderator
Pocket GPS Moderator

PostPosted: Wed Jun 09, 2010 6:53 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Thank you both, makes perfect sense now. Smile

And thanks again for the program Richard!
dhn
Frequent Visitor

PostPosted: Wed Jun 09, 2010 9:34 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Haven't tried this but have it noted:
http://sourceforge.net/projects/poi-dup-finder/

Posted: Today    Post subject: Pocket GPS Advertising

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Pocket GPS World Forum Index -> Points Of Interest (POIs) All times are GMT + 1 Hour
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: