Home PageFacebookRSS News Feed
PocketGPS
Web
SatNav,GPS,Navigation
Pocket GPS World - SatNavs | GPS | Speed Cameras: Forums

Pocket GPS World :: View topic - Advice for newbie
 Forum FAQForum FAQ   SearchSearch   UsergroupsUsergroups   ProfileProfile   Log in for private messagesLog in for private messages   Log inLog in 

Advice for newbie

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Pocket GPS World Forum Index -> Beginners GPS Lounge
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Gillian
Occasional Visitor

PostPosted: Mon Jun 07, 2004 10:22 pm    Post subject: Advice for newbie Reply with quote

Hi,

I am looking to purchase a GPS receiver and software for my PDA (IPAQ 2210). My main question is, which mapping software should I go for. I live in Northern Ireland so my main requirement is good coverage of NI followed by decent coverage of the South of Ireland. From research I have done to date I need to get software based on Navteq data which appears to narrow it down to either Destinator or Copilot (I have looked on the Mapopolis site and they don’t seem to have any maps for NI).

• My main criteria is map coverage – is there any real difference in the coverage of Ireland between Destinator and Copilot? Does one of them use later mapping data than the other?

• My first preference would be Desintator, due to the wider map coverage, but I have some concerns regarding this due to the problems that have been encountered with it. Are these now fixed with the latest version?

• Does the UK version of Copilot cover both Northern and Southern Ireland or will I need to get the full European version?

• Is it possible to buy additional maps for Copilot? I am possibly going to the States later this year and if I go would like to be able to purchase US maps.

Any advice/opinions on which software to go for would be greatly appreciated.

I am probably going to purchase the Fortuna Bluetooth clip-on. Does this come with any software to display info like latitude and longitude, altitude etc or is there any cheap/free software that I can get to display this information? The reason I ask is I might hold off buying any mapping software for a while and just purchase the GPS receiver at this stage.

Thanks
Gillian
lbendlin
Pocket GPS Staff
Pocket GPS Staff

PostPosted: Tue Jun 08, 2004 2:34 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Mapopolis offer a map for Northern Ireland, it is about 3.5 MB in size. That should be pretty detailed. The Ireland map is about 3.2 MB, so you should expect less coverage - like in all other products...

All three programs offer Western Europe and North America coverage, and they are reasonably stable.

Mapopolis - for the techie
Copilot - for the serious routings in your life
Destinator - somewhere inbetween. Nicer to look at, but less functionality

Report Map Errors here:
TomTom/TeleAtlas NAVTEQ

Posted: Today    Post subject: Pocket GPS Advertising

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Pocket GPS World Forum Index -> Beginners GPS Lounge All times are GMT + 1 Hour
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: