Home PageFacebookRSS News Feed
PocketGPS
Web
SatNav,GPS,Navigation
Brixly - Fast, Reliable, Secure UK Web Hosting
Pocket GPS World - SatNavs | GPS | Speed Cameras: Forums

Pocket GPS World :: View topic - Hi, does anyone remember....?
 Forum FAQForum FAQ   SearchSearch   UsergroupsUsergroups   ProfileProfile   Log in for private messagesLog in for private messages   Log inLog in 

Hi, does anyone remember....?
Goto page 1, 2  Next

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Pocket GPS World Forum Index -> TomTom Portable Navigation Devices
View previous topic :: View next topic  
jax365
Occasional Visitor

PostPosted: Thu May 13, 2010 7:50 pm    Post subject: Hi, does anyone remember....? Reply with quote

Hi came here quite a while ago...

Read a thread all about how to delete the stuff you don't need off the TomTom one vs3 so that you could plan a route (can't even remember what route planner it was!) and then download your planned route to the TomTom.

Can anyone remember the thread and point me in the right direction?

Today I went on a journey from South Cheshire to Luton.

Easiest way was the A50 - M1. TomTom wanted me to go via the M6-M1 cos the M6 is nearer (but horrible at the best of times) and the easier and more direct route was A50-M1. Just one mile extra to drive.... So I tried the 'find alternative' which wanted to take me down the A5 (add in another hour to get there...)

I remember looking into this on this forum well over 12 months ago! It seemed complicated, but now, complicated or not, I'm determined to try it!
I'm fed up of trying to get there using a map as well as the TomTom!

Thanks for any replies. Jacki
Smile
Oldboy
Pocket GPS Moderator
Pocket GPS Moderator

PostPosted: Thu May 13, 2010 9:09 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

You probably mean the Itinerary Tools, linked to on This Page.

TT 910 V7.903: Europe Map v1045
TT Via 135 App 12.075: Europe Map v1120
jax365
Occasional Visitor

PostPosted: Fri May 14, 2010 8:40 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Oldboy wrote:
You probably mean the Itinerary Tools, linked to on This Page.

Hi thanks for that, but it wasn't what I was looking for.

This was a way to delete some things off the TomTom One vs 3 (which has no Sd card, just an internal memory) so that you could plan a route on the computer (I think I used Tyre, but a proper car route planner would be better) and then download that route to favourites or something. It was step by step instructions on how to do all that.

I planned a route using tyre and waypoints, but when I tried to upload it, I got a message saying no room to upload to device, or something like that. Which is when I came here and found a post on how to do the above! At the time, it sounded so complicated (and I didn't want to do my new toy in) that I didn't try it.

However, this has become very much a nuisance since I started towing a caravan, that I thought I would give it a try.

If there's a page/instructions on how to edit the route on the internal map and then save it to the TomTom one vs3 so it's ready to go the next day, that would be good too!
Thanks for your help, Jacki Smile
dhn
Frequent Visitor

PostPosted: Fri May 14, 2010 11:34 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

The resultant .itn file (the route information) isn't that large so your unit must really be crammed with stuff.

Look in the licence folder and delete any files not having eng_uk in the file name. Remove any voices you aren't unit from the voices folder. Anything in the raster folder? Can probably delete that.

You might want to look at this thread regarding the use of Google & TYRE.
jax365
Occasional Visitor

PostPosted: Fri May 14, 2010 7:25 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Hi, thanks for that. Yes I did use TYRe to plan a route, but on the TomTom One vs3 there's no room for itineries, and no itinery planning option. there was a way someone got around this, by deleting some of the stuff you don't need, for example, the Help Me, etc. But it had to be done the right way and without the original info (probably archived?) I can only put in 1 way point, and that's easier said than done. Sad

So if, for example I wanted to use the A50 and the M1 to get where I was going, well yesterday I just switched it on when I stopped at a services on the M1 to get to the address at the other end. Switiching it on before that meant that it would continue to try to take me to the M6.

No 'reverse the route' option either!

The only other way I can use the roads I want to use is to programme a whole series of separate journeys, from one waypoint to the next!
jax365
Occasional Visitor

PostPosted: Fri May 14, 2010 8:45 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Found the site at http://www.janboersma.nl/gett/index.php

Under point 7 it states:
7. My device is a TomTom ONE 3rd/4th edition and I cannot find any itinerary planning functions. What can I do?
Answer
By default you cannot use the ONE 3rd or 4th ed. for route planning. It is not in the menu of those devices.
But there is more:
Although I have no experience myself, from several other people I understand that the software inside the 3rd/4th ed. does have the possibility for route planning. It is waiting there to be activated: by changing the menu.
There is a small application, a menu editor, that can help you to change the menu (and unlock the ‘hidden’ possibilities). If you use that application, you do it, of course, at your own risk.
I have been reported that the menu designer does not work properly with TomTom firmware version 8: the TomTom device freezes on using the newly added menu items. Try to install version 7 if you want to use the 'advanced' menu.
You can download the menu editor from here: http://www.gregoryduncan.com/ttmd/index.php

Tried downloading the above, page not found.

But someone on here gave the insturctions a couple of years ago! And it didn't sound too hard!
Oldboy
Pocket GPS Moderator
Pocket GPS Moderator

PostPosted: Fri May 14, 2010 9:01 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

jax365 wrote:
But someone on here gave the insturctions a couple of years ago! And it didn't sound too hard!
In that case you are probably referring to This Topic.

About halfway through the first (review) post.

TT 910 V7.903: Europe Map v1045
TT Via 135 App 12.075: Europe Map v1120
mikealder
Pocket GPS Moderator
Pocket GPS Moderator

PostPosted: Fri May 14, 2010 9:54 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

When the TomTom One Third Edition launched it was possible to load a custom menu to get around the restrictions imposed, subsequent updates to the Navcore and maps on this device have rendered the work around useless. Unless you are using a device with maps that are over two years out of date and very early Navcore on a One Third Edition forget this work around.
If you have a newer One (with the Easy Port mount that looks a bit like a cup holder) forget it all together as the Itinerary function and associated code was stripped prior to this device going on sale - Mike
jax365
Occasional Visitor

PostPosted: Thu May 20, 2010 10:17 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Thanks for all your help. By working thru the info, I've discovered I have version 8 anyway, so it's not possible to load the itinery info. Sad

I will just have to carry on doing what I have been doing. Plan two or three routes and stop at each one to load the next part of the journey.

Why does it get harder rather than easier? these devices are meant to make travel easier! Mine uses every shortcut it can, often on B and C roads - just to save a few miles, then back onto the main road I came off ten minutes ago. Now I'm going to be towing a caravan, this isn't good. Crying or Very sad

I know I can edit the route, but this takes a while. And I'd like to do it before I set off, the previous day. But I can't find a way to save the edited version.
Andy_P
Pocket GPS Moderator
Pocket GPS Moderator

PostPosted: Thu May 20, 2010 10:40 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

jax365 wrote:

Why does it get harder rather than easier? these devices are meant to make travel easier!

It's all down to business....
TomTom have to be seen to produce a RANGE of devices, at different prices.
If the simplest and cheapest models do everything the more expensive ones do, then people would never spend the extra money on the top-end kit.

The BIG problem with that, is that TomTom's marketing and advertising has never been sufficiently clear or "up front" about what features are or are not available on particular models.
They also have a habit of producing the full-featured models first and then producing the "cut-down" models later, once people have already got used to having the features.
Antoeknee
Lifetime Member

PostPosted: Thu May 20, 2010 4:06 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

It might be you'll able to do something that I do a lot.

I frequently travel from the NW to Cambridge and the route thats planned insists on using the M18 of the M1. This is about a minute quicker, though quite a few more miles, than using the A57 which is my preference.

I've stored a point on the A57 as a fav and once the route is planned I use Travel Via using this fav and end up with the route I prefer.
jax365
Occasional Visitor

PostPosted: Fri May 21, 2010 9:16 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Antoeknee wrote:
It might be you'll able to do something that I do a lot.

I frequently travel from the NW to Cambridge and the route thats planned insists on using the M18 of the M1. This is about a minute quicker, though quite a few more miles, than using the A57 which is my preference.

I've stored a point on the A57 as a fav and once the route is planned I use Travel Via using this fav and end up with the route I prefer.

I'll certainly try that and thanks for the info. Do you put in a map point as a favourite, or something easier? Could I for eg, just put in A34 and save as a favourite? Thanks. Jay:)
mikealder
Pocket GPS Moderator
Pocket GPS Moderator

PostPosted: Fri May 21, 2010 10:58 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Either add the location to a custom POI file or Favourites as either will work, if you do use point on map make sure you pick the correct carriageway, this is very important for dual carriageways/ Motorways if you get it wrong the Nav unit will take you via the point on the otherside of the road which can really mess up route planning! - Mike
Antoeknee
Lifetime Member

PostPosted: Fri May 21, 2010 3:20 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Mike does make a valid point about dual carriageways. Fortunately the point I've added is on normal 2 way road. So just be careful about the point you choose. If a dual carriageway is the only real option then add 2 points one for one direction and one for the other.

I added the point by browsing the map and choosing a suitable location. Then try the routing, sometimes you might need to move the chosen point to get the desired result. Once your happy either save the point as Mike suggested as a custom POI of as a fav.

Which ever way you decide to store it if you're going to use it quite frequently stick the number 1 at the start of the name and it will appear as the first fav or POI.
matthewj
Frequent Visitor

PostPosted: Fri May 21, 2010 3:38 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I'll add two more things to consider:

1. Beware bridges. I set up a POI set for all the motorway services that we are likely to go near. One northbound, one southbound. This way I can target a stop at a services, and the POI is just at the decision point for turning in or not. One such was near a bridge, and a map update made it "move" to the bridge. I was rather surprised to be on the journey using it as a waypoint to be told to leave the motorway. I ignored it, and realised it was trying to put me on the top of the bridge.

2. Beware scale. I wanted to go a particular route to somewhere, and used the "travel via" option to tap a point on an A road. Worked like a charm, but rather confused me when it wanted me to turn up a little track. Again, it turns out that I'd been zoomed out, and had hit the track without seeing it. Be sure you are zoomed in to see the detail, or at least check it after selecting.

Posted: Today    Post subject: Pocket GPS Advertising

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Pocket GPS World Forum Index -> TomTom Portable Navigation Devices All times are GMT + 1 Hour
Goto page 1, 2  Next
Page 1 of 2

Jump to: