Home PageFacebookRSS News Feed
PocketGPS
Web
SatNav,GPS,Navigation
Pocket GPS World - SatNavs | GPS | Speed Cameras: Forums

Pocket GPS World :: View topic - Where are POI's in the file system?
 Forum FAQForum FAQ   SearchSearch   UsergroupsUsergroups   ProfileProfile   Log in for private messagesLog in for private messages   Log inLog in 

Where are POI's in the file system?

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Pocket GPS World Forum Index -> Garmin Portable Navigation Devices
View previous topic :: View next topic  
jeta1
Regular Visitor

PostPosted: Sat Jun 26, 2010 10:19 am    Post subject: Where are POI's in the file system? Reply with quote

I have successfully loaded a number of custom POI categories into my Nuvi 1300, have used POI downloader and for navigation purposes they are in the 1300 and can be selected as destinations from the 'extras' category.

When the unit is hooked up to the PC I can see the unit as a 'drive' and can explore the file system. In the file system I can see a folder named POI, however only the Garmin camera database is in there, so proximity warning can only controlled for the Garmin Cameras. So where are the POI's that I've loaded myself being stored? I have explored my way through a number of the folders but can't find them

I will obviously want to load in the PGPSW camera info in preference to the Garmin, I thought I'd get some other custom POI's working before I started on the camera database.

So on the basis of what I know, or have found out so far, I can install custom POI's but not set up proximity warnings, which means the PGPSW want bring the benefit I want.

I presume this is 'finger' trouble on my behalf, could anyone help guide me to the correct method to fix this please???

Thanks in advance ...
dales
Frequent Visitor

PostPosted: Sat Jun 26, 2010 11:50 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Your POIs are in the file called poi.gpi (albeit in a coded format).

The PGPSW camera POIs live in the same file, once loaded.

Dales.
PaulB2005
Pocket GPS Moderator
Pocket GPS Moderator

PostPosted: Sat Jun 26, 2010 12:21 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Quote:
So on the basis of what I know, or have found out so far, I can install custom POI's but not set up proximity warnings, which means the PGPSW want bring the benefit I want.

The proximity warnings are handled by POILoader as you load the data. You don't have to do anything. Just make sure you use the Express option and MPH when asked. POILoader will not set Proximity Alerts for normal POIs (Fuel, Supermarkets etc) but it will for the Speed Cameras.

You must also load ALL your POIs (Fuel, Supermarkets AND Speed Cameras) in ONE GO. POILoader will do the work.
Meter_Man
Lifetime Member

PostPosted: Sat Jun 26, 2010 7:01 pm    Post subject: Multiple poi's Reply with quote

What you can do is load several poi files which is what I do as follows.

First poi file I load is my own favourite poi s which rarely change; having loaded them, change the file name in the garmin to, in my case PCR_poi.gpi.

Then load the next file, in my case European cameras which I load infrequently and rename to EUR_Camspoi.gpi

Finally load the UK cameras and leave these as poi.gpi as they change every week.

So you have three (or more) files all of which show up on the garmin.

It just means you only have to reload the camera files every week, the others just stay unchanged.

Posted: Today    Post subject: Pocket GPS Advertising

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Pocket GPS World Forum Index -> Garmin Portable Navigation Devices All times are GMT + 1 Hour
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: