Home PageFacebookRSS News Feed
PocketGPS
Web
SatNav,GPS,Navigation
Pocket GPS World - SatNavs | GPS | Speed Cameras: Forums

Pocket GPS World :: View topic - How can you decide which system to get?
 Forum FAQForum FAQ   SearchSearch   UsergroupsUsergroups   ProfileProfile   Log in for private messagesLog in for private messages   Log inLog in 

How can you decide which system to get?

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Pocket GPS World Forum Index -> Beginners GPS Lounge
View previous topic :: View next topic  
DavidH
Regular Visitor

PostPosted: Wed May 19, 2004 5:06 pm    Post subject: How can you decide which system to get? Reply with quote

I have been following the forum for some months, but I feel trapped in a Catch-22. Can anyone help or suggest a way forward?

1. Some people hate Navigon's interface, think TMC useless and like TomTom.
2. Others love Navigon, think TMC is vital and don't like TomTom.

The Forum, despite being a wonderful and invaluable tool, doesn't seem to come to any conclusion. It may just be personal views of course.

So a sensible person would want to try them before spending £4-600. But it seems we can't, as TomTom and (I think) Navigon won't allow you to return it if the software has been used - but how can you try it if you don't use the software???
Naturally there are Piracy issues, but it shouldn't be difficult to - for example - provide a one week only version for download to try.

So:
"Get the Aldi and try it" I thought as Vicky found they honoured their 'any return within a year' policy, but they sold out within 45 minutes of opening, and you can't ring the stores to find out if they still have one. I don't see how a working man can ever get one!!!

Any suggestions as to how to get any further? I appreciate that the Pocket PC part of the package is transferrable, and I presume the GPS mouse usually is, so do I just have to gamble on one software, try it and throw it away if no use?
lbendlin
Pocket GPS Staff
Pocket GPS Staff

PostPosted: Wed May 19, 2004 6:14 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

yes, that's pretty much your situation. Some remarks/thoughts

- read the reviews
- make a list of what is important to you personally (which features you absolutely need and which you can live without)
- find a friend who has TomTom or Navigon and try it out with their Pocket PC
- purchase both packages and then sell the one you don't like on eBay ...

Report Map Errors here:
TomTom/TeleAtlas NAVTEQ
DavidW
Pocket GPS Moderator
Pocket GPS Moderator

PostPosted: Wed May 19, 2004 7:42 pm    Post subject: Re: How can you decide which system to get? Reply with quote

DavidH wrote:
1. Some people hate Navigon's interface, think TMC useless and like TomTom.
2. Others love Navigon, think TMC is vital and don't like TomTom.

There is not the mutual exclusivity your presentation of the two options suggests.

Within a few weeks, TomTom Traffic will be available for Navigator 3, which apparently uses TMC technology over the Internet. It will be by subscription (10 Euros a month or 50 Euros a year).

If you have the ability to get a GPRS Internet connection to your Pocket PC in car (which usually means either a Pocket PC Phone Edition or a Bluetooth Pocket PC, with a Bluetooth GSM/GPRS phone - in either case plus a SIM with GPRS Internet service) that could be the way ahead. TomTom Traffic is not likely to leave you with a huge GPRS bill each month (the indications are that you'll configure the update interval, and each update is likely to use no more than a couple of KBytes), and doesn't need an RDS-TMC receiver.

David
DavidH
Regular Visitor

PostPosted: Thu May 20, 2004 9:03 am    Post subject: Re: How can you decide which system to get? Reply with quote

lbendlin wrote:
yes, that's pretty much your situation. Some remarks/thoughts

- read the reviews

But it seems to be the interface that people like / complain of. Despite screenshots, that's the bit we can't see.

lbendlin wrote:

- find a friend who has TomTom or Navigon and try it out with their Pocket PC

Any friendly person near NW1 prepared / able to help???

DavidW wrote:

There is not the mutual exclusivity your presentation of the two options suggests.

If you have the ability to get a GPRS Internet connection to your Pocket PC in car (which usually means either a Pocket PC Phone Edition or a Bluetooth Pocket PC, with a Bluetooth GSM/GPRS phone - in either case plus a SIM with GPRS Internet service) that could be the way ahead. TomTom Traffic is not likely to leave you with a huge GPRS bill each month (the indications are that you'll configure the update interval, and each update is likely to use no more than a couple of KBytes), and doesn't need an RDS-TMC receiver.

David

Being still in the stone age, I only have a simple PAYG phone with no GPRS facility. As I use about £0.50 a month, I am reluctant to shell out c.£30/month just in case traffic info. is useful.

Again, some say Traffic info is the bee's knees, others that it is relatively uselss.
It would be wonderful if there wasa summary of users' views (though of course I wouldn't know inot which of the opposing camps I would be till I'd tried them!)
DavidW
Pocket GPS Moderator
Pocket GPS Moderator

PostPosted: Thu May 20, 2004 12:57 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Unless things have changed, Orange offer GPRS Internet access on the pre-pay tariffs, charging GBP4 per MByte (which will go a long way with TomTom Traffic). The problem will be procuring a suitable phone - I'm not sure that Orange sell any pre-pay phones with Bluetooth and a built in 'modem'. You could try to buy something like a Nokia 6310i, of which there's probably plenty of examples around second-hand, though I think it has now gone out of production. I'm delighted with my 6310i - it's been my main phone for nearly two years now.

Personally, I couldn't imagine being without GPRS Internet access (in my case on Vodafone contract) - my data bill is often higher than my voice bill. When you have the ability to retrieve an email or find something easily on the web when mobile, I find it makes life a lot easier. One thing that helps a lot is that Pocket Internet Explorer supports WAP, and WAP sites like BT Directory Enquiries work really well on Pocket IE (though you do need GPRS Internet access to use them, as Pocket IE won't work through a WAP gateway).

Obviously as you haven't already got a suitable phone, the fixed costs of getting going with TomTom Traffic will be higher than if you had. You really will need a Pocket PC with Bluetooth and a Bluetooth mobile phone (do check the phone allows external devices to use GPRS over Bluetooth), but both features are becoming increasingly common. I'd price that against the RDS-TMC Navigon setup - bearing in mind that if you went for the Aldi/Medion package and wanted the traffic capable version, you'd need to replace the GPS with the special one that has the RDS-TMC receiver in it.

Don't forget that the GPRS based setup allows you to do other things from your Pocket PC that require a mobile Internet link, whether it's IRC (using something like Pocket IRC), MSN Messenger, Email or accessing the web.

Another possibility if you're considering TomTom Traffic is to look round for a second hand, unlocked XDA - which is not a bad Pocket PC, and team it up with an Orange pre-pay SIM for GPRS access. Team that up with a wired GPS and that could be a viable solution.

The reason for suggesting a second hand Pocket PC Phone Edition is that buying a new one probably doesn't make much sense unless you're prepared to go onto contract to get an equipment subsidy. Unfortunately most low end contracts tend to have high GPRS prices.

I'm quite happy with my Vodafone Business / GPRS Select contract, which costs me 14 pounds per month with no bundled minutes, but GPRS is GBP2.35 per MByte, and calls 10p/minute peak, 5p/minute off-peak - cross-network is more but I don't call non-Vodafone mobiles. Unfortunately this deal is no longer available - to get that kind of GPRS pricing now you have to pay upwards of 25 pounds per month.

Anyway - I hope that fills you in. If you're prepared to forego traffic awareness (which is still pretty new to the market and carries a considerable price premium), you'll probably pay a lot less.

David
Alastair
Occasional Visitor

PostPosted: Mon May 24, 2004 10:19 pm    Post subject: www.tchibo.com have a rebadged Medionkit Reply with quote

Hi
The TCM Medion bundle seems to be identicle to the Halfords one, and they let you take it home & play & offer a full, unconditional money back guarentee. THe online store is sold out, but manu shops still have them in. There is a shop locator on their site, several stores around.
HTH
Al

Posted: Today    Post subject: Pocket GPS Advertising

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Pocket GPS World Forum Index -> Beginners GPS Lounge All times are GMT + 1 Hour
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: