Home PageFacebookRSS News Feed
PocketGPS
Web
SatNav,GPS,Navigation
SurfShark VPN for Streaming TV
Pocket GPS World - SatNavs | GPS | Speed Cameras: Forums

Pocket GPS World :: View topic - POI question from complete idiot.
 Forum FAQForum FAQ   SearchSearch   UsergroupsUsergroups   ProfileProfile   Log in for private messagesLog in for private messages   Log inLog in 

POI question from complete idiot.

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Pocket GPS World Forum Index -> Beginners GPS Lounge
View previous topic :: View next topic  
toegrim
Occasional Visitor

PostPosted: Mon May 24, 2004 9:42 am    Post subject: POI question from complete idiot. Reply with quote

Hi, I sincerely hope someone here can help me understand more of my new Garmin GPS (Rino120). There are some cities in there I can search up and then se maps over (even if the maps are simple). When I downloaded the free PIO package from garmin.com I got the impression that I would get more cities I could zoom down on. I can for instance zoom in on Baltimore. What I do not understand is why I can not zoom down on London (in England) in the same manner after having downloaded the POI pacage? If you would consider helping me with understanding more of this, it would make me very happy. If so, do not hesitate to explain the details as if I was the dumbest person you ever encountered.Hey, maybe I am... :D
Tim Buxton
Pocket GPS Moderator
Pocket GPS Moderator

PostPosted: Mon May 24, 2004 10:02 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

The Rino 120 only coes with the Americas basemap, so all the POI data will refer to the Americas. If you want European data you'll need to purchase the European metroGuide. From this you can download portions of European maps to your Garmin and all the POIs within your downloaded area will then be available to you.

The 120 has 8Mb available for user-downloaded data.
DavidW
Pocket GPS Moderator
Pocket GPS Moderator

PostPosted: Mon May 24, 2004 4:05 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

One important thing to know with the Rino is that it's illegal to use the two way radio features in the UK - that will be equally true of the American and Canadian versions.

There is such a thing as two way radio that doesn't require a licence for each user in the UK - so called PMR 446. However, PMR 446 needs equipment designed and type approved for it; there's no version of the Rino that meets these requirements.

I guess this is why the Rino doesn't have a European basemap. Garmin only sell the Rino in North America. One version is sold in the US. Garmin sell a different version in Canada that has a slightly different radio setup, which is legal to use in Canada.

It isn't just a case of submitting the Rino for new tests in Europe - the PMR 446 frequencies are near, but different, to the FRS frequencies in the US.

David

Posted: Today    Post subject: Pocket GPS Advertising

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Pocket GPS World Forum Index -> Beginners GPS Lounge All times are GMT + 1 Hour
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: