Home PageFacebookRSS News Feed
PocketGPS
Web
SatNav,GPS,Navigation
Pocket GPS World - SatNavs | GPS | Speed Cameras: Forums

Pocket GPS World :: View topic - 30/40/50 Series mounting differences?
 Forum FAQForum FAQ   SearchSearch   UsergroupsUsergroups   ProfileProfile   Log in for private messagesLog in for private messages   Log inLog in 

30/40/50 Series mounting differences?

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Pocket GPS World Forum Index -> TomTom Portable Navigation Devices
View previous topic :: View next topic  
TurnAroundWhenPossible
Occasional Visitor

PostPosted: Mon Apr 12, 2010 3:31 pm    Post subject: 30/40/50 Series mounting differences? Reply with quote

I am looking for a friction mount in the UK for my tomtom 950 and would like to know if the adaptor plates specified for the 30 series are compatible with 40 and 50 series of tomtom.
One I like is the Arcon (quickfind TTGO112 at handtec)
I cannot find any mounts and adaptor plates described suitable for the tomtom 950.
I realise of course that the friction base will be cross compatabile.
Would appreciate any advice here thank you.
Or - What are the diferences at the TomTom back between the 30/40/50 series for fixings and mounts.
Orac1
Banned

PostPosted: Mon Apr 12, 2010 5:35 pm    Post subject: Re: 30/40/50 Series mounting differences? Reply with quote

TurnAroundWhenPossible wrote:
I am looking for a friction mount in the UK for my tomtom 950 and would like to know if the adaptor plates specified for the 30 series are compatible with 40 and 50 series of tomtom.
One I like is the Arcon (quickfind TTGO112 at handtec) I cannot find any mounts and adaptor plates described suitable for the tomtom 950.

You don't need a separate mount for the Arkon CM012 Friction mount base with the x40 and x50 TomTom Go series units. This is because the windscreen sucker mount and power cable socket on the x40 and x50 units is designed in such a way that it can be inverted by 180 degrees and the windscreen sucker attached directly to the Arkon friction mount as though it was a dedicated pedestal and with the power cable also connected to the mount and not the Satnav (power is supplied through the mount to the unit).

I believe the earlier Go units could not be released directly from the end of the plastic bar attachment that came down from the sucker mount on the windscreen. This meant the windscreen mount could not be used directly as a pedestal mount on a friction base.

I have been using one of the Arkon CM012 friction bases with my TomTom Go 940 unit since I bought it in June 2010 and just use the regular screen sucker mount to pedestal mount the unit on the CM012 friction base.

However don't order from www.blueunplugged.com as I ordered another of these friction bases from their website three months ago at a bargain price of about £9.49 delivered (after further www.topcashback.co.uk cashback) but over two months later I am still awaiting delivery. It said "Due In 3 to 7 days" on their website when I ordered but when I phoned them a few weeks ago the guy who eventually answered was thoroughly sarcastic about the reasons for the delay in shipping. Mad

By contrast www.handtec.co.uk delivered the CM012 friction base to me by overnight courier within 24 hours.

See here for a picture of this base and the plastic circular disk to which the sucker on the x40 and x50 series windscreen mount is directly attached.
mikealder
Pocket GPS Moderator
Pocket GPS Moderator

PostPosted: Mon Apr 12, 2010 8:10 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Forget using anything from the x30 model range as thats a totally different mounting system.

The x40/ x50 both use the same mount but remember for certain funtions such as the backlight sensor the device has to be connected to the mount, lord knows why as the sensor is in the body of the device and AFAIK with x50 units it doesn't even use this sensor but the backlight won't work correctly unless the device is connected to a car dock.

One other option worth considering is the Brodit accessory mount for the x40/ x50 as these attach the device to various locations around the dashboard rather than the screen, not cheap but very worthwhile thinking about - Mike
TurnAroundWhenPossible
Occasional Visitor

PostPosted: Tue Apr 13, 2010 11:37 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Orac1
Thank you for your reply, I thought that the friction base itself would likely suit the tomtom 950 mount howevever the Arcon mount looked as though it was adjustable in tilt and turn by means of screw thread and knurled knobs which I would immagine be smooth to operate and preferable to the very simple and stiff friction hold of the TomTom bog standard design supplied in the box.
Its Good to know that you are satisfied with a similar setup - I guess that I can just about live with it in the absence of a more sophisticated mechanism.
Yes agreed about Handtec - I bought my 950 from them and was very satisfied with the way they processed my order- Good value also.

mikealder,
Appreciated Mike that is the info I was seeking.
Quote:
One other option worth considering is the Brodit accessory mount for the x40/ x50

Is there a particular one that you refer to please-Done a quick search and did not find anything in the UK from Brodit for the 950 friction type.
I am happy to pay a bit more for a quality item to save the frustration built into many of these accessories owing to poorly figured design.
For general information I used the desk mount as supplied (with usb connection) resting on an old Garmin bean bag and plugged into the car USB port. The battery ran out in about 10 minutes and the unit then shut down- battery exausted. Appears that the USB in the car will not charge or run the unit.
Darren
Frequent Visitor

PostPosted: Tue Apr 13, 2010 11:42 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Brodit don't do friction mounts but they do offer cradle solutions that are much better IMHO.

Good as Arkon's Friction base is, it can never be as good as a decent fixed cradle. Brodit use a custom ProClip to attach the cradle to your car and these are no holes solutions that can be removed later without damage.

See DSLDevelopments for pricing.
TurnAroundWhenPossible
Occasional Visitor

PostPosted: Tue Apr 13, 2010 11:50 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Quote:

Brodit don't do friction mounts but they do offer cradle solutions that are much better IMHO.

Good as Arkon's Friction base is, it can never be as good as a decent fixed cradle. Brodit use a custom ProClip to attach the cradle to your car and these are no holes solutions that can be removed later without damage.

See DSLDevelopments for pricing.

Thanks Darren- looking there right now
mikealder
Pocket GPS Moderator
Pocket GPS Moderator

PostPosted: Tue Apr 13, 2010 7:36 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Have a read of This Thread which shows how the accessory mount is fitted to a car, in this case its my Volvo V70 but the same approach would work with any vehicle as long as they make a Pre-Clip for it and most are covered - Look at part two on the second page of the thread to get an idea on hiding cables, this did involve cutting a few holes but the advantage being no messy cables in the car once complete - Mike
Orac1
Banned

PostPosted: Tue Apr 13, 2010 9:21 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

mikealder wrote:
Look at part two on the second page of the thread to get an idea on hiding cables, this did involve cutting a few holes but the advantage being no messy cables in the car once complete - Mike

The TomTom mount for the x40 and x50 models that is designed to connect to a Brodit clip (instead of to a windscreen sucker) can also be had with a straight power cable that is designed for routing behind a car's facia and comes with bare wire ends that are designed to be hard wired in to some power source behind the facia instead of being plugged in to a cigarette lighter socket.

However a set up like this will cost you £50 to £60 just for the parts (replacement TomTom mount for the sucker mount plus Brodit clip) and delivery and a lot more than that in installer Labour if you are not up to all the dashboard pulling and power cable joining up required yourself. This compares with the Arkon CM012 bean bag mount that can be had for £9.49 delivered if buying from www.blueunplugged.com

Speaking of which by a bizarre quirk of fate I got an email today announcing that my Arkon CM012 ordered on Jan 24th and paid for on Jan 26th was now in stock and being shipped to me today. Its only been an almost 3 month long wait but I don't know what caused them to finally have one in stock as they still show as "Due Back in Stock: 3-7 days" at www.blueunplugged.com/p.aspx?p=135647

If the right item now turns up then it will be a damn cheap price for this but I can't really recommend an uncertain weight of several months to get it to anyone. I only actually waited this long because I thought it would only be about four weeks at worst and then forgot all about it till yesterday's post. Perhaps someone from Blueunplugged may even have spotted my message on this forum. Wink
mikealder
Pocket GPS Moderator
Pocket GPS Moderator

PostPosted: Tue Apr 13, 2010 9:41 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

To give you an idea of the time involved in fitting the following kit to the V70 which I did on my own with basic hand tools and a dremel:

iO-Play Bluetooth kit
940 Brodit mount
TT Car Kit Brodit mount
New double DIN stereo with GPS
iPhone active Brodit holder
RDS-TMC receiver to aerial connection

In total the above consumed 9 hours to install, more than happy with the time it took as I have no cables anywhere in the car (unlike the previous Ovlov), you are quite right the Brodit kit isn't cheap but you get what you pay for and I wouldn't want a sat nav flying around inside the car when driving at speed.

If you are not happy messing around with the car then getting an installer to do this would be very costly and as always, when playing around under the dash of a modern car take care because if you set off an airbag you will get injured and end up with an even higher bill once you get out of hospital - Mike
Orac1
Banned

PostPosted: Tue Apr 13, 2010 10:05 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

mikealder wrote:
I wouldn't want a sat nav flying around inside the car when driving at speed.

Nearly a year's experience of using the 940 Live in a two seat sports car with the CM012 dash mount suggests it is very difficult to corner hard enough to make the whole CM012 mount fly off the dash. The worst that has happened has been that it has moved all the way down to the left hand end of the dash. It probably helps that I have the power lead's surplus length trapped in a place where it can't move (in a flip up cubby hole on the dash that the CM012 mount then sits on top of). But I haven't even used the hook that the CM012 came with, mainly because I have had plans for several months to get rid of this car.

The main problem I have actually had is with the suction mount where it attaches to the Arkon CM012 disk. Normally this is solid as a rock but sadly my soft top sports car has a rainwater leak that I am having a lot of trouble tracking down and this causes a lot of condensation during the winter. This did cause the suction mount to lose suction with the Arkon base if left in the car for several days in the cold and damp (the 940 itself was removed). I do not however see this as a likely problem for anyone who has a dry and watertight vehicle.

Quote:
If you are not happy messing around with the car then getting an installer to do this would be very costly and as always, when playing around under the dash of a modern car take care because if you set off an airbag you will get injured and end up with an even higher bill once you get out of hospital - Mike

Yes I could see that it would take at least nine hours to do it myself as well as lots of angry exclamations and that even a professional installer (who has worked out the quick way to do it and/or has all the right tools) would charge a couple of hours no doubt very expensive labour. That is why I went for the beanbag mount approach in the end.

Posted: Today    Post subject: Pocket GPS Advertising

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Pocket GPS World Forum Index -> TomTom Portable Navigation Devices All times are GMT + 1 Hour
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: