Home PageFacebookRSS News Feed
PocketGPS
Web
SatNav,GPS,Navigation
Pocket GPS World - SatNavs | GPS | Speed Cameras: Forums

Pocket GPS World :: View topic - speed camera software
 Forum FAQForum FAQ   SearchSearch   UsergroupsUsergroups   ProfileProfile   Log in for private messagesLog in for private messages   Log inLog in 

speed camera software
Goto page 1, 2  Next

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Pocket GPS World Forum Index -> PocketGPSWorld Speed Camera Database
View previous topic :: View next topic  
papropertyservices
Occasional Visitor

PostPosted: Thu Feb 18, 2010 6:30 pm    Post subject: speed camera software Reply with quote

could anybody tell me which directory in the tom tom go300 to put the speed camera software into
PaulB2005
Pocket GPS Moderator
Pocket GPS Moderator

PostPosted: Thu Feb 18, 2010 6:42 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Hi and welcome

Full instructions here

Video here

Does that help?
JockTamsonsBairn
Lifetime Member

PostPosted: Thu Feb 18, 2010 10:32 pm    Post subject: Re: speed camera software Reply with quote

papropertyservices wrote:
could anybody tell me which directory in the tom tom go300 to put the speed camera software into
What software?

TomTom Go 940 LIVE (9.510, Europe v915.5074 on SD & 8.371, WCE v875.3613 on board)
Andy_P
Pocket GPS Moderator
Pocket GPS Moderator

PostPosted: Fri Feb 19, 2010 11:01 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Yeah, I managed to stop myself posting last night, but now Jock has mentioned it, the pedant in me had to come out!

{Pedant mode on}
The camera database from here isn't actually software, just a set of data for the existing TomTom software to work with.

{Pedant mode off} Smile
PaulB2005
Pocket GPS Moderator
Pocket GPS Moderator

PostPosted: Sat Feb 20, 2010 12:27 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I'm used to people describing problems with the wrong words so i tyend to make assumptions based on experience.

It's amazing how many people refer to the tower of their PC as the "modem" and their ISP as "Google / MSN / BBC News" (i.e. their Home Page) or even think that documents are "in" Word and photos "in" Picassa or Photoshop... After a while you automatically make the switch mentally...

Anyway if papropertyservices is still out there perhaps you can confirm if this helped or not...
Darren
Frequent Visitor

PostPosted: Sat Feb 20, 2010 12:48 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

The Op didn't have 'notify of new replies' selected. I've taken the liberty of switching this to ON in the hope this will elicit a reply.
JockTamsonsBairn
Lifetime Member

PostPosted: Sun Feb 21, 2010 12:11 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Andy_P wrote:
Yeah, I managed to stop myself posting last night, but now Jock has mentioned it, the pedant in me had to come out!

{Pedant mode on}
The camera database from here isn't actually software, just a set of data for the existing TomTom software to work with.

{Pedant mode off} Smile
Yes, recent mention of a Novus "overlay" had me wondering. Looking at the web site, this does seem to be additional software that gets loaded onto the TomTom and runs alongside the TT app.

TomTom Go 940 LIVE (9.510, Europe v915.5074 on SD & 8.371, WCE v875.3613 on board)
Darren
Frequent Visitor

PostPosted: Sun Feb 21, 2010 12:16 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Andy_P wrote:
{Pedant mode on}
The camera database from here isn't actually software, just a set of data for the existing TomTom software to work with.{Pedant mode off}

And your definition isn't necessarily accurate. Software can also be described as the digital 'data' as compared with the 'hardware' upon which it runs.

In this case 'data' is all both the application, os and and data required to run it.
SteveMPS
Occasional Visitor

PostPosted: Sun Feb 21, 2010 1:01 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

JockTamsonsBairn wrote:
. . .Yes, recent mention of a Novus "overlay" had me wondering. Looking at the web site, this does seem to be additional software that gets loaded onto the TomTom and runs alongside the TT app.

Yep that's exactly what it does which is clever and that part seems to work well. Their database is rubbish though as it warns late and misses some (or is that their software failing to secure resources in time).

Back on topic: I found it easy but I'm reasonably PC aware and I suggest many potential customers couldn't. Maybe there's merit in someone writing some sort of autoscript - but then would the extra sales you'd get balance the effort required?
Darren
Frequent Visitor

PostPosted: Sun Feb 21, 2010 6:02 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

SteveMPS wrote:
Maybe there's merit in someone writing some sort of autoscript - but then would the extra sales you'd get balance the effort required?

I've mooted the idea of some automated-install before but then we get the issue of support.

As it is we can manage but when you start offering install scripts you're inviting big headaches!

A nice little installer that could authenticate, grab the necessary file and install would be perfect but again, the wide variations in configuration of the end device (even if we are talking just TomTom) make it no mean feat to accomplish.
spook51
Lifetime Member

PostPosted: Sun Feb 21, 2010 6:09 pm    Post subject: Especially when, as darren says, they're Reply with quote

Bit harsh to pick on a poster for using 'software' rather than 'database' in their first ever post here, isn't it? Especially when, as Darren writes, they're not actually wrong. If it had been me, I'd be telling you where to stuff your software.... er database - he is, after all, a customer of PGPSW.
Darren
Frequent Visitor

PostPosted: Sun Feb 21, 2010 6:16 pm    Post subject: Re: Especially when, as darren says, they're Reply with quote

spook51 wrote:
Bit harsh to pick on a poster for using 'software' rather than 'database' in their first ever post here, isn't it?

I think Andy's comment was tongue in cheek but he does have difficulty fighting his inner pedant!

I hope no offence was taken by the OP as I'm sure none was intended.
spook51
Lifetime Member

PostPosted: Sun Feb 21, 2010 6:50 pm    Post subject: Re: Especially when, as darren says, they're Reply with quote

Darren wrote:
spook51 wrote:
Bit harsh to pick on a poster for using 'software' rather than 'database' in their first ever post here, isn't it?

I think Andy's comment was tongue in cheek but he does have difficulty fighting his inner pedant!

I hope no offence was taken by the OP as I'm sure none was intended.

I'm sure you're right Darren but since returning to PGPSW recently I've noticed that some of the replies from Moderators and Verifiers are what I would consider 'terse'.
Darren
Frequent Visitor

PostPosted: Sun Feb 21, 2010 6:53 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

We all need a chill pill every now and then but we'll ensure it doesn't become a trend!

Sometimes the attitudes of people can wear you down but the ethos is the same and we all (or most of us) try to keep it as friendly as possible. I know I've had lapses in my sense of humour on occasion Wink
Andy_P
Pocket GPS Moderator
Pocket GPS Moderator

PostPosted: Sun Feb 21, 2010 7:26 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Majority of post deleted on reflection, but:

While I'd hoped it was obvious that my comment was light-hearted, and it WAS only a reply to someone else) not the OP.

To me "software is something that "does" something with supplied data... That's what they told me at school.
Maybe they were wrong, or maybe there's no SPECIFIC definition, who knows. But at the end of the day it's not that important is it?

Posted: Today    Post subject: Pocket GPS Advertising

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Pocket GPS World Forum Index -> PocketGPSWorld Speed Camera Database All times are GMT + 1 Hour
Goto page 1, 2  Next
Page 1 of 2

Jump to: