Home PageFacebookRSS News Feed
PocketGPS
Web
SatNav,GPS,Navigation
Pocket GPS World - SatNavs | GPS | Speed Cameras: Forums

Pocket GPS World :: View topic - TomTom 940 voice control doesn't work
 Forum FAQForum FAQ   SearchSearch   UsergroupsUsergroups   ProfileProfile   Log in for private messagesLog in for private messages   Log inLog in 

TomTom 940 voice control doesn't work

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Pocket GPS World Forum Index -> TomTom Portable Navigation Devices
View previous topic :: View next topic  
davemcwish
Occasional Visitor

PostPosted: Mon Dec 07, 2009 9:01 pm    Post subject: TomTom 940 voice control doesn't work Reply with quote

I've had my 940 for about a month or so and so far, comparing it with my previous TTN6 with v675 map is reasonably better. Bit annoyed that the v840 maps came out so soon after I upgrated to v835 maps but still worked quite well on a recent holiday to Northern Ireland.

Apart from problems with TomTom's POIs not accurate (particularly BP petrol stations) and Live Services (pretty much all of them) not working as well as I feel they should, the main issue I have with Kate (prefer Jane though - don't tell) Embarassed is the voice control. At best it's very cumbersome and worst doesn't even recognise I'm talking to it/her. I'm using a Brodit mount to the unit is closer than if stuck on the screen.

Any thoughts as to what could be at fault:-

1. My accent (although of the Celtic persuasion I don't have a strong Scottish accent and have been accused of being English Sad)
2. Faulty unit
3. Need to retrain Kate
4. Voice control just doesn't work at all

davemcwish
Andy_P
Pocket GPS Moderator
Pocket GPS Moderator

PostPosted: Tue Dec 08, 2009 1:09 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Firstly maps -
You can expect them to come out about every three months these days, so there will ALWAYS be a new one "just" after you've paid out some cash for a new one! Sorry! Laughing

Voice control-
If the voice control isn't working AT ALL, the fix is often a reset (2-30 second press on power switch) AND a return to factory settings (from the menus)

If it just isn't working well, then I think you're right. I played with it for a while and then gave it up as a gimmick. The fact you still have to press the screen for a lot of stuff (even things you've started to do via voice control) makes it fairly pointless as far as I'm concerned.

If it works significantly better in your living room when it's quiet, then I'd say it's working as well as it ever will. If it still has problems, it might be a fault.

One thing to check - when you activate the voice control and the gadget appears in the top right corner of the screen, what does the "level meter" show when you're in a quiet room?
It should be only showing one or both of the grey squares, not the green or red ones.
For a while, mine seemed to have some interference (either software or "real") so it looked like there was constant background noise and the green lights were flickering, which made it less able to understand words. As I said, I don't use it much so I'm not sure how or when it improved again, but it's OK now, and I tried it in the car just now and it was OK-ish.
mikealder
Pocket GPS Moderator
Pocket GPS Moderator

PostPosted: Tue Dec 08, 2009 1:26 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

One other thought, tap Navigate To/ Address/ Spoken Address (dialogue) and look to the right is there a Union Jack flag showing with "GBR" written under it? if so then fine, if not tap the flag to the right and select United Kingdom from the list then try again - Mike

Posted: Today    Post subject: Pocket GPS Advertising

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Pocket GPS World Forum Index -> TomTom Portable Navigation Devices All times are GMT + 1 Hour
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: