Home PageFacebookRSS News Feed
PocketGPS
Web
SatNav,GPS,Navigation
Pocket GPS World - SatNavs | GPS | Speed Cameras: Forums

Pocket GPS World :: View topic - 720 Refurbished now replaced what should I do?
 Forum FAQForum FAQ   SearchSearch   UsergroupsUsergroups   ProfileProfile   Log in for private messagesLog in for private messages   Log inLog in 

720 Refurbished now replaced what should I do?

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Pocket GPS World Forum Index -> TomTom Portable Navigation Devices
View previous topic :: View next topic  
MoPlain
Occasional Visitor

PostPosted: Wed Nov 18, 2009 11:22 pm    Post subject: 720 Refurbished now replaced what should I do? Reply with quote

Folks be patient I need some advice.

I bought a refurb 720 in July and used the LMG to update to the Navcore with ALW and IQ routes. However, the unit failed a couple of weeks ago and I sent it back for repair. Fault seemed to be failed memory chips. Anyway it just came back replaced not repaired, so I am back to a 720 with original software!

I don't think I get a second shot at the map guarantee which seems unfair? So, does anyone have any advice on this to get it reinstated, or would it be possible to copy over a backup I did of my old 720 with all the updated maps and navcore? Is there a way I can be sure my backup contains all the files?

*if* I was to get a second shot at the LMG I understand that updates may fail due to lack of memory and there was a recommended way of doing the update?

Thanks for any advice.
AndyVaughan
Lifetime Member

PostPosted: Wed Nov 18, 2009 11:36 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

If it was replaced it will be a different serial number / Device ID.

Try registering the device against a different email address. You will then get LMG.

New maps are due out any day so hold on for a week before trying.

You could also try this - take a full Windows Explorer backup (see FAQs).

Compare the serial number and Device ID in your ttgo.bif file with the one from the backup of your previous device. If they are the same then you can install your previously downloaded map (Add Items on My Computer from within HOME) as the activation file included with the map will still work. HOME won't allow you to install a map tied to a different device.

If you are lucky you will get the 8.40 map in a few days time.
MoPlain
Occasional Visitor

PostPosted: Thu Nov 19, 2009 1:13 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Andy, that's great advice thank you. Hoping for the LMG then as you have confirmed I cannot load my previous backed up new maps.

Otherwise my replaced 720 seems a bit of a waste of time and money. The maps are out of date and new maps and consequently operating system cost almost as much as a new device I think.
AndyVaughan
Lifetime Member

PostPosted: Thu Nov 19, 2009 3:28 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Register against a new email address thena nd update everything apart from the maps.

The new maps should be out within the next 30 days - give it a few days after they are out before using LMG though - they don't always make it onto the LMG for a few days.

Posted: Today    Post subject: Pocket GPS Advertising

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Pocket GPS World Forum Index -> TomTom Portable Navigation Devices All times are GMT + 1 Hour
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: