Home PageFacebookRSS News Feed
PocketGPS
Web
SatNav,GPS,Navigation
Pocket GPS World - SatNavs | GPS | Speed Cameras: Forums

Pocket GPS World :: View topic - TT3 upgrade I'm confused
 Forum FAQForum FAQ   SearchSearch   UsergroupsUsergroups   ProfileProfile   Log in for private messagesLog in for private messages   Log inLog in 

TT3 upgrade I'm confused

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Pocket GPS World Forum Index -> TomTom Software-Only Products
View previous topic :: View next topic  
grimbo
Occasional Visitor

PostPosted: Fri May 14, 2004 11:23 pm    Post subject: TT3 upgrade I'm confused Reply with quote

FAO Dave Burrows

I've read the various posts on the upgrade and I'm just as unsure now as when I started.

I've got TT2 working fine on my 2210 now I've ditched the TTBT in favour of a connection to a Road Angel.

Are the map database errors as serious as described or is it a result of peoples frustration at the upgrade being more cosmetic and not a huge leap forwards? Also is the issue with the address data entry as awful as described, I know it is possible to get multiple entries for TT2.

I am loathed to even install TT3 to try out as I don't want to muck up my system as it is working fine.

I have the postcode software so this isn't an issue.

I'd very much appreciate your opinion.
Dave
Frequent Visitor

PostPosted: Sat May 15, 2004 7:44 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Grimbo,

I haven't personally experienced any of the map database issues. Most applications do have map database issues with some town's/cities. Navigator 2 has quite a number of map problems as you'll find in the forums. Most of these are resolved by upgrading to TTN3, but TTN3 apparently according to others do have problems especially up North and also searching for common street names.

It's entirely up to you if you want to upgrade, there are new features and updated maps. I'm not a heavy user compared with some people who use SatNav in their jobs as couriers, taxi drivers, coach drivers and engineers, and I only travel around South Central so I can't comment on problems outside of this area personally, but South Central does seem to be pretty good.
DavidW
Pocket GPS Moderator
Pocket GPS Moderator

PostPosted: Sat May 15, 2004 8:33 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Navigator 3 has many improvements. The maps are based on later data, and I've found quite a few welcome corrections. There's the new Itinerary feature, and the forthcoming TomTom Traffic service will also require version 3.

Unfortunately there are problems with the Navigator 3 database. Quite a few towns that were in Navigator 2 have mysteriously been omitted in version 3, also the address lookup returns streets of the entered name in the whole county. As you correctly say, Navigator 2 wasn't perfect - but Navigator 3 tends to be worse. Have a look at the 'open letter' for full details of these problems. Keep your eye on that thread - I've quite an interesting suggestion I will probably make to TomTom over the weekend, based on a thought I shared with Richard (Oldie) and his comments on it.

A final problem is that currently iPAQ 2210 users using a Bluetooth GPS (unfortunately a very popular combination) are finding various stability issues. Hopefully TomTom will have this sorted soon - though it might be that the bugs are in the Bluetooth software of the 2210.

Even though I'm the author of the 'open letter', I'm sticking with Navigator 3 and haven't downgraded to Navigator 2, though, like Dave, I'm not the heaviest user of the software.

David

Posted: Today    Post subject: Pocket GPS Advertising

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Pocket GPS World Forum Index -> TomTom Software-Only Products All times are GMT + 1 Hour
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: