Home PageFacebookRSS News Feed
PocketGPS
Web
SatNav,GPS,Navigation
Pocket GPS World - SatNavs | GPS | Speed Cameras: Forums

Pocket GPS World :: View topic - New user/advice needed
 Forum FAQForum FAQ   SearchSearch   UsergroupsUsergroups   ProfileProfile   Log in for private messagesLog in for private messages   Log inLog in 

New user/advice needed

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Pocket GPS World Forum Index -> Beginners GPS Lounge
View previous topic :: View next topic  
mulletboy2
Occasional Visitor

PostPosted: Thu May 13, 2004 12:59 pm    Post subject: New user/advice needed Reply with quote

Hiya guys,

Just signed up to the forum as it looks like there's a wealth of info here that I can make use of.

I'm in the market for a PDA/GPS/Sat Nav/POI combo, price within reason. I'm about to go off and have a read of some of the newbie threads, but in the meantime, any advice on the following would be much appreciated.

I like the look of the TomTom software, compared to screengrabs of other bits of software I've seen. So, I'd either like TomTom, or something that's visually on par with it. Is there any other software I should consider? I definitely like the fact you can get free POI plugins.

For the PDA, I'm not really fussed.. I don't want processing delays, if they can be avoided. I expect most delays are down to satellite communications rather than software/hardware though? I've been looking at the iPaq 2210, 4150 or 5550. The Palms seem cheaper, but if I've got the correct jist, TomTom, despite being on a higher version number for the Tungstens, is also not quite up to scratch?

I take it the TomTom Go is a fixed solution, i.e you can't add POI's etc? Does anyone have any experience of them, and what do you think? I don't mind the additional hassle of installing multiple devices, so is it even worth considering the TomTom Go?

I was looking at a 256MB SD card so that there's plenty of space, but I may even get a 512MB one. I know that in other areas of computing etc.. some memory cards are more reliable than others. Is this something I need to consider here? If so, any recommendations on what to buy?

The bit I'm most confused about though, is the GPS receiver. It sounds like bluetooth really isn't the way to go, due to reliability issues. Is that so? From reading around, I've seen a few people recommend CF cards, however, I have no idea what I'm looking for here. The posts I saw were quite old, so bluetooth receivers may now be better... even if they're not, the CF cards the guys were recommending are probably now outdated. What should I be looking at here?

Overall budget is up to 500GBP, but I'd like to keep the costs as low as possible, while still having a reliable, easy to use SatNav setup.

I realise there's loads of questions here, so any and all help greatly appreciated. In the meantime I'll go off and read up some more :D

Cheers

Mark
lbendlin
Pocket GPS Staff
Pocket GPS Staff

PostPosted: Thu May 13, 2004 3:03 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

You have done some pretty good research already. Just a few comments

the iPAQ 5550 is too good for navigation alone. It also has Wireless, and more memory etc. Look for bundles that combine other Pocket PCs with software and receiver.

Usability: Yes, TomTom are ahead of the pack there. (Navigon were quite close but it is said that the new version MN|4 is a step back in usability). But TomTom also have some serious flaws. If you have special requirements like multi stop route optimization and increased safety, look at CoPilot.

GPS Receiver: The unreliability is limited to a few models on the market. Most of the BT receivers work flawlessly, and you should really consider BT as the first choice. It is so much more convenient in the end.

TomTom GO: Custom POIs will be added "later this year". Over time, the functionality of TTN3 and TTN4 (Palm, GO) will merge. The TomTom GO is (AFAIK) the first device on the market with an accelerometer that compensate sat signal loss in tunnels or urban canyons.

Report Map Errors here:
TomTom/TeleAtlas NAVTEQ

Last edited by lbendlin on Thu May 13, 2004 5:15 pm; edited 1 time in total
mulletboy2
Occasional Visitor

PostPosted: Thu May 13, 2004 4:17 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Thanks mate, some very useful info there Smile

Posted: Today    Post subject: Pocket GPS Advertising

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Pocket GPS World Forum Index -> Beginners GPS Lounge All times are GMT + 1 Hour
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: