Home PageFacebookRSS News Feed
PocketGPS
Web
SatNav,GPS,Navigation
Pocket GPS World - SatNavs | GPS | Speed Cameras: Forums

Pocket GPS World :: View topic - Best Sat Nav Which I Can Take Out of The Car for Use on Foot
 Forum FAQForum FAQ   SearchSearch   UsergroupsUsergroups   ProfileProfile   Log in for private messagesLog in for private messages   Log inLog in 

Best Sat Nav Which I Can Take Out of The Car for Use on Foot

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Pocket GPS World Forum Index -> Beginners GPS Lounge
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Simmo11
Occasional Visitor

PostPosted: Sun Jun 28, 2009 7:08 pm    Post subject: Best Sat Nav Which I Can Take Out of The Car for Use on Foot Reply with quote

Hi,
Could anyone recommend the best sat nav system that I can use in my car, then take out for use in towns and in the country?
Cheers
Andy_P
Pocket GPS Moderator
Pocket GPS Moderator

PostPosted: Sun Jun 28, 2009 7:15 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

If you want to use it for walking ACROSS country, none of the sat-navs intended for car use are that great.
They all tend to have road maps only and the system will attempt to "snap" you onto the nearest road when you go wandering off them.

THIS TOPIC from a couple of weeks ago recommends one good for general use and geotagging.

THIS ONE might be of use too, and if you want to load OS mapping have a look at THIS ONE.
Border_Collie
Pocket GPS Verifier
Pocket GPS Verifier

PostPosted: Sun Jun 28, 2009 10:21 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Quote:
then take out for use in towns and in the country?

If you don't

Quote:
want to use it for walking ACROSS country

you'll find most have a 'Pedestrian' mode, which will route you the 'wrong way' up one way streets for example and through pedestrianised areas.

The main problem is batteries only last between 2 and 4 hours.

I use mine e.g. Park up in a strange town, mark with a Pin and add as favourite. Walk around and then start sat nav, set to Pedestrian mode and route to push-pin or favourite. Never failed me yet.

With mine, if I forget to re-set to car mode it warns me.
Leigh_at_ch9
Occasional Visitor

PostPosted: Wed Jul 01, 2009 2:46 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Oops. Please ignore this.

Posted same msg twice

Leigh

Last edited by Leigh_at_ch9 on Wed Jul 01, 2009 2:48 pm; edited 1 time in total
Leigh_at_ch9
Occasional Visitor

PostPosted: Wed Jul 01, 2009 2:47 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Simmo

I've just gone through the same process and I must say I agree with Andy. A device which is great for satnav and offroad use seems to be a rare beast indeed, if it even exists (you could poss look at a Road Angel on the Memory-Map site)

If u check out the last link in Andy's reply, that was me. I'll update u in case you're interested in going down that route. My Vodafone VPx / GPSlim combo is a great setup for not much money. It's classed as a phone, but it's a huge one with a screen the size of some satnavs. I run McGuider for satnav, and Memory-Map for offroad. Granted, Memory-Map is not cheap but I already had it for laptop use and it's cheaper than most of the OS mapping from the likes of Garmin / Satmap etc. Both apps run great on the VPx. Battery life can be a pain but if you make sure it's fully charged before venturing out and switch it off when you don't need it, the battery will last for an all-day walk easily, so not bad. I just need a car power cable for mine now (which I can't find at the moment) and it'll be superb. Without the 2 apps the PDA (or phone if u prefer) and GPSlim cost me around 80 quid in total.

Leigh
MaDProFF
Occasional Visitor

PostPosted: Fri Aug 28, 2009 9:56 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Hi

I recently bought an HTC Pro 2 and co pilot 7, that has a walk mode that pin points where you are, and not snap to nearest road.

it seems to work well, though ofc only as good as the map it is reading.

The battery lasts quite a while as well, even longer if you set up the phone correctly to suit, and use the night map.

Posted: Today    Post subject: Pocket GPS Advertising

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Pocket GPS World Forum Index -> Beginners GPS Lounge All times are GMT + 1 Hour
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: