Home PageFacebookRSS News Feed
PocketGPS
Web
SatNav,GPS,Navigation
Pocket GPS World - SatNavs | GPS | Speed Cameras: Forums

Pocket GPS World :: View topic - XL IQ Europe new map and space issue
 Forum FAQForum FAQ   SearchSearch   UsergroupsUsergroups   ProfileProfile   Log in for private messagesLog in for private messages   Log inLog in 

XL IQ Europe new map and space issue

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Pocket GPS World Forum Index -> TomTom Portable Navigation Devices
View previous topic :: View next topic  
dorsetwurzel
Lifetime Member

PostPosted: Fri Aug 21, 2009 8:59 pm    Post subject: XL IQ Europe new map and space issue Reply with quote

Hi all,

I have just downloaded the new 835 map under the 4 maps a year subscription, but my computer rebooted halfway through. The map is downloaded to my hard disk and when I try to install it to the device it get a message saying there is not enough space?

TTHome shows 638MB used in the bar at the bottom of the Manage your One XL screen, although it only shows 40.2MB used in the tabs under the Items on device tab. Also Explorer does not show any large files on the device, so I am confused where this extra 600MB is hiding and how I can release it to add my new map.

Any ideas please.

Thanks in advance
AndyVaughan
Lifetime Member

PostPosted: Sat Aug 22, 2009 10:48 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Do a full Windows Explorer Backup of your device before starting. (see FAQs)

Now find the downloaded map - it will be in your My Documents/TomTom/Home/Downloads/Complete/Map/Western___Central_Europe_2GB folder

Use winzip or winrar to extract the large zip file and check it extracts OK to a folder called Western_and_Central_Europe_2GB on your desktop

Now use winrar to extract the activation file (meta.dct file) from the activation_map_xxxx.cab file into the same folder as you extracted the map files.

Now check in your Western_and_Central_Europe_2GB folder on your desktop and you will have 36 files in there. You can delete all of the files beginning with cspeech as your device does not support TTS.

Now with your XL connected to your PC and HOME closed completely (no icon in the taskbar) delete the contents of your Western_and_Central_Europe_2GB folder on your device. This will wipe out all of your favourites, recent destinations and any custom POIs - search the forum about converting favourites to POIs if you want to save them.

Copy the contents of the Western_and_Central_Europe_2GB folder on your desktop to the Western_and_Central_Europe_2GB folder on your device.

Start up HOME and let it check for updates but DONT install any at this point.

Use HOME to disconnect your device then choose NO when it asks about connecting to computer. Disconnect the USB cable and check that you have the map installed OK. You can now reconnect to the PC and install any mapshare updates etc. Delete the Western_and_Central_Europe_2GB folder from your desktop.
dorsetwurzel
Lifetime Member

PostPosted: Sun Aug 23, 2009 3:20 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Hi Andy,

Thanks for that very helpful advice in your post, although did have to format the device as the flash memory showed 0B in use and 0B free when I tried to follow your post. Grrr.
However I have managed to get the new map back on my TT XL, although I had almighty problems installing the application (8.414) It did finnaly do it last night about midnight after the 20th time through TThome, however now I just get the TT logo on the screen when I disconnect from TThome.

When I plug it in to TThome it says I need to update to the latest app, but after scanning the TT servers it does not find a new app.

Help please. All for a new map Exclamation

Thanks
AndyVaughan
Lifetime Member

PostPosted: Sun Aug 23, 2009 3:40 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Can you operate the device through HOME or not? If you can, try deleting your mapsettings.cfg from within your map folder.

Do you have a full backup from anytime before you tried to upgrade the map?

I would format again as FAT32 (do not do a quick format).

Stick your backup on and then either eject the drive letter from within My Computer or use HOME to disconnect the device. Do not disconnect until you have answered NO to the Do you wish to Connect to Computer?

Then start the upgrade process again. Do the Application and anything else you are offered first. Once the only thing left to update is the map then take a full backup using Windows Explorer again. Now try and install the map again through HOME - it will be in the Add Maps Traffic/Items on My Computer. If that doesn't work then it could be that your map download is corrupted - if you have about 3 hours to waste then move the current map download folder out of the completed/map folder and redownload. Restore the map from your backup before updating. A few people have had problems when downloading over wireless so make sure you are connected to your router via ethernet cable.

One thing I have noticed with the XL is that it is very sensitive as to when it is disconnected from the PC. I always disconnect through HOME and turn the device off before unplugging the USB cable - I have corrupted a couple of files by over enthusiastic disconnecting in the few weeks I have had it already!
dorsetwurzel
Lifetime Member

PostPosted: Tue Aug 25, 2009 8:53 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Thanks for your help Andy. All fixed now apart from the fuel prices which wont download, as apparently it contins data from a fuel station off my map??? Not important though. I gets me from A to B and back again now Laughing
Tim
Laughing Laughing Laughing Laughing Laughing

Posted: Today    Post subject: Pocket GPS Advertising

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Pocket GPS World Forum Index -> TomTom Portable Navigation Devices All times are GMT + 1 Hour
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: