Home PageFacebookRSS News Feed
PocketGPS
Web
SatNav,GPS,Navigation
Pocket GPS World - SatNavs | GPS | Speed Cameras: Forums

Pocket GPS World :: View topic - Settings for camera warnings - split topic
 Forum FAQForum FAQ   SearchSearch   UsergroupsUsergroups   ProfileProfile   Log in for private messagesLog in for private messages   Log inLog in 

Settings for camera warnings - split topic

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Pocket GPS World Forum Index -> TomTom Portable Navigation Devices
View previous topic :: View next topic  
EricWB
Frequent Visitor

PostPosted: Tue Aug 25, 2009 9:08 am    Post subject: Settings for camera warnings - split topic Reply with quote

MOD EDIT - Split from New map - cant get cams to show... as two conversations were going on at once. GerryC

From GerryC's reply is it correct to assume the GPS camera warnings are within the POI.dat file?

If so does anyone have a method of finding them so they could be copied and pasted from one POI.dat file into another another one in the other map folders?

Its just a thought as there are quite a few TT owners (me included) who may have one or more maps on their device and setting up the cameras can take quite awhile to get it done correctly.
PaulB2005
Pocket GPS Moderator
Pocket GPS Moderator

PostPosted: Tue Aug 25, 2009 9:22 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

The POI.dat file is the TomTom POI file and nothing to do with the warnings.

The PGPSW Warnings are set up and stored in mapsettings.cfg but i don't recommend copying it from one map to another as i believe it holds other map specific information which will result in a) transfering incorrect data to another map and b) will overwrite the map specific data on the other map.

Unfortunately there is no short cut to setting up the alerts with a new map.
EricWB
Frequent Visitor

PostPosted: Tue Aug 25, 2009 10:49 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

The reason I thought the camera warnings maybe in the POI.dat file was that in the past downloading a map update would remove the users Favourites that are stored in the mapsettings.cfg file. It was suggested by some on the forum that the map update process removed the mapsettings.cfg file and replaced it with a new one to match the map.

Whilst there may have been a basis to this reasoning because the Favourites were definitely removed I don't recall ever loosing the camera warnings but stand to be corrected by those that know better (I have only subsribed to the GPS warnings for a few months). This means that if a new mapsettings.cfg file was created at update then some data from the old file was copied to it to retain the warnings.

The latest map update process seems to retain all of the existing data in the mapsettings.cfg file as I did not loose my favourites on this occasion and had no need to copy the old one over as I have done in the past. Perhaps as things progress TT take notice of users problems upon this forum and try to correct them, perhaps that's why a new version of Home was issued a short while before the maps?
PaulB2005
Pocket GPS Moderator
Pocket GPS Moderator

PostPosted: Tue Aug 25, 2009 10:57 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Whereas i have installed 2 previous maps and had no problems with loosing alerts etc but on this map with the new TT Home i suffered the reboot loop until i deleted the mapsettings.cfg file.

I'm assuming the alerts are stored in mapsettings.cfg because one way of restoring "lost" alerts is to restore the mapsettings.cfg file from a backup (assuming the file was backed up AFTER you set up the alerts)
GerryC
Pocket GPS Moderator
Pocket GPS Moderator

PostPosted: Tue Aug 25, 2009 11:03 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

The last time I updated, my favourites and warnings were brought across to the new map but this time I got the continuously reboot problem. In the past it's been a gamble as to what would work or not.

I wouldn't count on anything definitely happening or not next time. Your past experiences will count for nothing in the future. Mad
Brodit ProClip mount
EricWB
Frequent Visitor

PostPosted: Tue Aug 25, 2009 11:16 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I have just done what many users of this forum never do and read the instructions for installing and using GPS camera warnings.

Each map folder must have the appropriate .ov2 and .bmp records installed as provided by the weekly updates. Then optionally if you want the voice warnings the .ogg files as well.

Now back to my original query because the warnings for the cameras are setup in the POI.dat file as described elsewhere in this forum has anyone found a method of extracting them from the POI.dat file in one map folder to the similar file in another map folder?
GerryC
Pocket GPS Moderator
Pocket GPS Moderator

PostPosted: Tue Aug 25, 2009 11:53 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

EricWB wrote:
Now back to my original query because the warnings for the cameras are setup in the POI.dat file as described elsewhere in this forum has anyone found a method of extracting them from the POI.dat file in one map folder to the similar file in another map folder?

Incorrect. It has NOTHING to do with poi.dat. You may be confusing it with mapsettings.cfg which holds the warning settings along with things like your home and favourites locations.

It's not possible to get the warning info out of the file to use on another map. The easiest thing to do is set up the warnings from scratch. You only have to do this once for a map and only takes 10 minutes if you're used to it.

The format of the file appears to change between different maps (eg WCE and UK+Ire) and also now appears to be incompatible between versions of the same map.
Brodit ProClip mount
PaulB2005
Pocket GPS Moderator
Pocket GPS Moderator

PostPosted: Tue Aug 25, 2009 12:26 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

EricWB has posted the following in the old thread....

Quote:
Quote:
Step 5. Display POIs on your TomTom GO
Finally, to enable POIs in your TomTom GO select them in your POI categories:

Change Preferences | Manage (or Maintain) POI | Enable / Disable POI
Select POI

They now are displayed on your GO screen in both 3D maps and 2D maps.
Even if you do not display POIs on screen, you can now "navigate to" your Poi’s, find POIs near your location, etc.

Step 6. Set up Proximity Alerts (optional)
Change Preferences | Manage (or Maintain) POI | Warn when near POI
Select each POI in turn,
Select the distance for warning
Select the warning sound
Uncheck the "Warn only if POI is on route" box
Repeat until all POIs are set up to warn.

The quote is from the appropriate section of FAQ's on this site upon how to setup up GPS camera warnings it seems to clearly state that they are setup as POI's.

Quote:
The quote is from the appropriate section of FAQ's on this site upon how to setup up GPS camera warnings it seems to clearly state that they are setup as POI's.

Yes and where does it state this has anything to do with the POI.DAT file? Remove it from your unit and you'll find that the TomTom built in POIs disappear. All the file does is hold the TomTom POIs built into the unit. NOTHING to do with alerts etc. The MAPSETTINGS.CFG file holds this information.... See my post above on how you can fix "lost" alerts by copying back the mapsettings.cfg file. Nothing to do with POI.DAT.

It is common across all the brands such as Garmin, TomTom etc for the Speed Cameras to be treated as POIs with some sort of Speed / Proximity alert.
Andy_P
Pocket GPS Moderator
Pocket GPS Moderator

PostPosted: Tue Aug 25, 2009 3:01 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

In short:

poi.dat - the data for ALL the built-in POI categories.

xyz.ov2 - the data for a specific single user-added POI category (called xyz in this example)

MapSettings.cfg - your Favourites, POI warning settings, Home Location, Recent Destinations etc.

Posted: Today    Post subject: Pocket GPS Advertising

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Pocket GPS World Forum Index -> TomTom Portable Navigation Devices All times are GMT + 1 Hour
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: