Home PageFacebookRSS News Feed
PocketGPS
Web
SatNav,GPS,Navigation
Pocket GPS World - SatNavs | GPS | Speed Cameras: Forums

Pocket GPS World :: View topic - Covered cameras
 Forum FAQForum FAQ   SearchSearch   UsergroupsUsergroups   ProfileProfile   Log in for private messagesLog in for private messages   Log inLog in 

Covered cameras

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Pocket GPS World Forum Index -> PocketGPSWorld Speed Camera Database
View previous topic :: View next topic  
jeff-d
Lifetime Member

PostPosted: Thu Jul 30, 2009 9:44 am    Post subject: Covered cameras Reply with quote

My understanding was that covered cameras were not included in the database since they're not active. This does not seem to be the case with cameras 71703 & 71704 which are on the A46 north of Leicester (Seagrave / Thrussington turn). 71703 is also at least 100 yards further north than shown on the map.
DennisN
Tired Old Man
Tired Old Man

PostPosted: Thu Jul 30, 2009 10:56 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

We have a problem with covered cameras - if you play hide and seek with your eyes covered, can I be sure you won't peep? We argue it endlessly, to be honest, and generally come down in favour of keeping it in the database on the grounds that it may well take a mere instant for a man to come along and whip the bag off. If we continue to warn you, you get the opportunity to see the bag and feel relieved. If we don't warn you and the man came along half an hour ago, you might be a bit disappointed in us! I hung on like grim death to a set of Gatsos on the A420 near Swindon and eventually gave in and agreed to let them be removed after at least six months bagged "Not in Use". I bet it was less then a fortnight later the rats went and switched them on again!!

EDIT to correct the above. These two are NEW installations reported earlier this month as being about to be put into use - we can presume the covers are there awaiting the activation day.

As for accuracy of 71703, if you think it's wrong, put in a change of location for it - our quest for accuracy might possibly earn you a free lifetime membership. Bear in mind that at 70mph it's not easy to get the coordinates accurate, so next time you are there, check it from both directions and you may find it's not too bad from one side. Different satnavs will react differently to the coordinates too.

If it tastes good - it's fattening.

Two of them are obesiting!!
jeff-d
Lifetime Member

PostPosted: Thu Jul 30, 2009 11:28 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

DennisN wrote:
As for accuracy of 71703, if you think it's wrong, put in a change of location for it

I only travel that way once a month (or so), so it'll be the end of August before I'm there again. 71703 is such a long way out that I'm surprised that the verifier didn't spot it!

DennisN wrote:
might possibly earn you a free lifetime membership.

Already got!!!
DennisN
Tired Old Man
Tired Old Man

PostPosted: Thu Jul 30, 2009 12:40 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

You only appear as Beginner in your profile, so I'm asking our Admin to change you to Lifer.

Rick-uk
Lifetime Member

PostPosted: Fri Jul 31, 2009 8:54 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

DennisN wrote:
We have a problem with covered cameras - if you play hide and seek with your eyes covered, can I be sure you won't peep? We argue it endlessly, to be honest, and generally come down in favour of keeping it in the database on the grounds that it may well take a mere instant for a man to come along and whip the bag off. If we continue to warn you, you get the opportunity to see the bag and feel relieved. If we don't warn you and the man came along half an hour ago, you might be a bit disappointed in us!

Would you apply the same reasoning to newly installed cameras which currently have a temporary "Camera not in use" sign balanced against their pole.

I am thinking of the new Specs cameras both north and southbound on the A34 to the south of Newbury. I have the locations all stored in a POI file just waiting for the day they appear to go live
DennisN
Tired Old Man
Tired Old Man

PostPosted: Fri Jul 31, 2009 9:51 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Yes, I would. A34 cameras at Newbury have already been submitted and accepted into the database. I counted 12 when I drove through there last week, but there were/are more submissions than that and I was unable to check two of them because they arrived too fast. (there were 17 submitted on the A34, by the way, I rejected several with terrible coordinates and I see we have quite a few more now too). The only problem with that is the speed to submit.

With the upsurge of Specs cameras recently, we have been accepting them in advance of them going live. There's a fine line on some submissions, though - I think (personally, not official thinking!) that there are some people who submit speculative cameras in advance of any poles being put up, they can't possibly get the coordinates right. Annoying really, to go check/verify and find there's nothing there at all.

The M42 is a fine case in point these days. Specs cameras were erected ages ago and signed "Not in Use" ready for the roadworks to move along to them and we took them into the database after quite some discussion. Difficulty now is they keep moving them so often that our verifier/s in that area are struggling to keep up - no sooner do they verify changed locations than they come down and move off up the road again!!

The best thing to do (in my opinion) is to submit new ones with a note in the comments box that they are new, but bagged pending bringing into service. It's very useful if you see and can relay any advance works information - sometimes these do have a notice forecasting when and how long the works will be there.

Rick-uk
Lifetime Member

PostPosted: Sun Aug 02, 2009 4:27 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

All the locations I had recorded are marked on the map now so I have no new ones to add

Posted: Today    Post subject: Pocket GPS Advertising

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Pocket GPS World Forum Index -> PocketGPSWorld Speed Camera Database All times are GMT + 1 Hour
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: