Home PageFacebookRSS News Feed
PocketGPS
Web
SatNav,GPS,Navigation
Pocket GPS World - SatNavs | GPS | Speed Cameras: Forums

Pocket GPS World :: View topic - Renault Laguna problem
 Forum FAQForum FAQ   SearchSearch   UsergroupsUsergroups   ProfileProfile   Log in for private messagesLog in for private messages   Log inLog in 

Renault Laguna problem

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Pocket GPS World Forum Index -> Beginners GPS Lounge
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Davemazo
Occasional Visitor

PostPosted: Sun May 09, 2004 6:02 pm    Post subject: Renault Laguna problem Reply with quote

Does anyone have any experience or knowledge of running a Satnav system in a Renault Laguna with the shielded windscreen. I`ve searched the forums but can`t find the information I need. The thing I need to know is whether the Renault fitted GPS external aerial can be adapted to fit a Dell Axim X5 with Tom Tom wired system. The aerial has a co-axial type socket while the Tom Tom mouse uses a pc networking type socket which plugs into the cradle. I am new to GPS and don`t really underestand all the abbreviations and technical terms.
DavidW
Pocket GPS Moderator
Pocket GPS Moderator

PostPosted: Sun May 09, 2004 6:53 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

The RJ12 'computer networking' plug doesn't carry GPS radio signals - but power to the GPS as well as the serial connection between the GPS and the PDA.

I don't know precisely what the Laguna's antenna provides (and whether it's present and connected if you don't have factory-fit satnav), but it's designed to connect to a coaxial antenna connector on GPS hardware.

Unless someone has established compatibility, proceed carefully - otherwise you may damage your GPS.

David
Davemazo
Occasional Visitor

PostPosted: Sun May 09, 2004 9:00 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Many thanks. I`ll take that as a no I think and try something else. I`ve tried the supposed clear space by the rear view mirror with no luck and apart from that having dangling cables puts me off driving a bit and I like things to be neat and tidy. The only other option seems to be a re radiating antenna, but unless there are idiot proof instructions with them these are a bit confusing. For example with the aerial outside do I have to drill holes or does it work like a mobile phone aerial, how does it connect to my existing setup, there are no holes left to plug in to. Stupid questions to you I know but this is all new to me. Thanks again
alix776
Pocket GPS Moderator
Pocket GPS Moderator

PostPosted: Sun May 09, 2004 9:14 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

i think the laguna has a heat refeclive windscreen so you may need to mout the gps in the rear of the car or behind the rearveiw mirror as this type of windscreen can interfeare with gps reception

sorry about some of the spelling

Oh the joys of being a courier.
device Lumia 950 xl
footman
Regular Visitor

PostPosted: Sun May 09, 2004 9:44 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

which model Laguna?
we run a Laguna Dynamique Sport Estate and have no real problems with a Pretec CF card solution although I am probably going BT.
Davemazo
Occasional Visitor

PostPosted: Sun May 09, 2004 10:03 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I have the Privilege sport estate. I`ve just been out to try again and I can get 5 - 6 satellites if I balance the receiver on top of the rear view mirror. As soon as it falls off I lose the signal. I don`t really want to tie it on with string, not very hi-tech. By the way, what does "going BT" mean?
footman
Regular Visitor

PostPosted: Sun May 09, 2004 10:05 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

bluetooth
Davemazo
Occasional Visitor

PostPosted: Sun May 09, 2004 10:22 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Of course. Nothing to do with British Telecom then, told you I am a bit of a simpleton where all this technology is concerned
footman
Regular Visitor

PostPosted: Sun May 09, 2004 10:32 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I have a re radiating antenna that I dont need,Im willing to sell at a bargain price.It doesnt plug in,just sends signal to your gps unit.it is held on magnetically to e.g. your vehicle roof and the cables come in through the closed door.

check first that your gps receiver is suitable.
Davemazo
Occasional Visitor

PostPosted: Sun May 09, 2004 10:52 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Thanks Footman. Yes I`m very interested if it solves my problem. I have no idea which receiver I have. All I know is it is the one that came with a Dell Axim kit with Tom Tom 2. It is a square silver thing with tomtom stamped into the top cover and a sticker on the back again saying tomtom and with a single cable coming from it with a pc networking type socket on the end. I have no idea if it is compatible with your antenna and have no idea where to find out. If you think it might work then let me know what you want for it (as long as full idiot proof instructions are with it). Thanks again
DavidW
Pocket GPS Moderator
Pocket GPS Moderator

PostPosted: Mon May 10, 2004 9:49 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

A re-radiating antenna re-radiates the GPS signals inside the problem area.

You connect the re-rad to a power source, and put its external antenna somewhere where it has a good view of the sky - usually on the roof (through a door seal). The rest of the re-rad goes near to the GPS (what you're describing is the TomTom wired GPS), and the GPS will then have a decent signal.

David
grimbo
Occasional Visitor

PostPosted: Mon May 10, 2004 6:18 pm    Post subject: Thermic windscreen Reply with quote

I have a similar problem with a Renault Scenic & Peugout 307.

I have a Tomtom BT and road angel with Ipaq2210.

When using BT GPS I use velcro to hold it on the top of the rear view mirror & charging lead runs upside of windscreen.

Velcro is unobtrusive & works a treat.

When in my 307 use road angel with Holux cable. Roadangel has to site near front quarter light on door ledge, you get a better signal here as opposed to on the dash.

hope this helps

Posted: Today    Post subject: Pocket GPS Advertising

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Pocket GPS World Forum Index -> Beginners GPS Lounge All times are GMT + 1 Hour
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: