Home PageFacebookRSS News Feed
PocketGPS
Web
SatNav,GPS,Navigation
Pocket GPS World - SatNavs | GPS | Speed Cameras: Forums

Pocket GPS World :: View topic - TOMTOM POi's In Correct Location
 Forum FAQForum FAQ   SearchSearch   UsergroupsUsergroups   ProfileProfile   Log in for private messagesLog in for private messages   Log inLog in 

TOMTOM POi's In Correct Location

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Pocket GPS World Forum Index -> Points Of Interest (POIs)
View previous topic :: View next topic  
andyandpam
Occasional Visitor

PostPosted: Sat May 16, 2009 4:56 pm    Post subject: TOMTOM POi's In Correct Location Reply with quote

Just wondering why POI's from this site are showing up in the wrong place,and how do i correct them?
Daggers
Lifetime Member

PostPosted: Sat May 16, 2009 7:33 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Many of the POIs are initially positioned by postcode only, rather than local knowledge, which is less accurate. However, they are being constanlty updated for better accuracy, and further corrections are always welcome.

To correct them, go to this page, find the offending POI on the map and make the changes, selecting Change Existing POI.
andy-c1
Lifetime Member

PostPosted: Sun May 17, 2009 11:30 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

and please take note of 1 of the most important by placing the poi on the entrance to such poi rather than the building itself which is sometimes way off the road causing problems
thanks
johalareewi
Lifetime Member

PostPosted: Fri Jul 24, 2009 3:46 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

That is very interesting.

I have been correcting the location of a number of POIs in my area where I guess the original position has been done by postcode. One of the problems I have found is google maps doesn't always show all of the road. Especially on retail parks. So I place the POI where it actually is knowing the road actually goes there. However, when the POI becomes live, it has moved to (I guess) the nearest road that google maps shows which is not always that useful.

I also use my TomTom when on foot having left the car in a car park some way off. So need to get fairly close to the POI (within sight of it). If the POI has been recorded as being somewhere else, this isn't much use.
MaFt
Pocket GPS Staff
Pocket GPS Staff

PostPosted: Fri Jul 24, 2009 4:17 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

the majority of users use satnav's just in the car. as such we place the poi's at the nearest vehicular access that the satnav can guide you to. if they are placed at the exact spot then quite often you will be routed to the nearest road to it which could be at the back of a building and even less use! at least with the way they are done currently you know you are near the entrance and on the correct side of the building.

MaFt

Posted: Today    Post subject: Pocket GPS Advertising

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Pocket GPS World Forum Index -> Points Of Interest (POIs) All times are GMT + 1 Hour
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: