Home PageFacebookRSS News Feed
PocketGPS
Web
SatNav,GPS,Navigation
SurfShark VPN
Pocket GPS World - SatNavs | GPS | Speed Cameras: Forums

Pocket GPS World :: View topic - TomTom Versions
 Forum FAQForum FAQ   SearchSearch   UsergroupsUsergroups   ProfileProfile   Log in for private messagesLog in for private messages   Log inLog in 

TomTom Versions

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Pocket GPS World Forum Index -> TomTom Portable Navigation Devices
View previous topic :: View next topic  
adrianmarsh
Occasional Visitor

PostPosted: Sun Jun 07, 2009 5:40 pm    Post subject: TomTom Versions Reply with quote

Hi All,

Currently I run an old iPaq with v5 (i think) tomtom on it hooked to a bluetooth GPS.

I'm thinking of upgrading to something like a TomTom XL but am blinded by the various options, so have some questions:

1) What version of software comes with the XL? I see references to v8 on this forum, so is that current latest one?
2) Whats TomToms upgrade policy - free software updates till the next major release?
3) How frequent are their releases, and are they backward-hardware compatible? (eg does last years device support todays software?, generally speaking) ?
4) What size memory card do they ship with?
5) High street adverts show them offering the safety camera database. Is that a once off, and then you have to pay, or is it lifetime free? (and how does it compare to this sites database - I used to subscribe to it here).

I'm looking mainly for UK maps, latest software. If would be nice to hook up to my iphone for Live featres, but I really dont use it enough to justify the Live costs or any monthly subscription.

Thanks,
Andy_P
Pocket GPS Moderator
Pocket GPS Moderator

PostPosted: Sun Jun 07, 2009 5:51 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

1. v8 software is latest on all current models. Some older models are still on v7.9 but can still use latest maps.

2. It has always been free software updates (major AND minor). This current situation is the first time they haven't yet produced a version of the latest software for EVERY model right back to the original Go.

3. Every month or two for minor updates, but not neccessarily with any new features (just bugfixes). Always backwards compatible (see 2. above)

4. Current devices all have internal memory and ship with either NO sd-card facility (the ONE and XL models) or an empty slot (Go models). Memory size varies from 1-4GB and SD cards now useable upto 32GB.

5. Yes, one-off trial of the TT database. Still not as good as the one from here in most people's opinion (who post on this site...)

As for choice, the Go's have Bluetooth for hands-free etc and the One's and XL's don't.
adrianmarsh
Occasional Visitor

PostPosted: Sun Jun 07, 2009 5:58 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Thanks Andy for the quick response. I'm just watching the vids on the tomtom site to get an idea of the functionality.

I already have a Parrot car kit, so dont need the mobile handsfree., but I wonder if the SD slot on the GO makes it worth it.

At the moment I think maybe the XLs the choice for me.
adrianmarsh
Occasional Visitor

PostPosted: Sun Jun 07, 2009 6:11 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Hmm... why am I seeing references to a TomTom One XL ?? eg Asda
Andy_P
Pocket GPS Moderator
Pocket GPS Moderator

PostPosted: Sun Jun 07, 2009 6:19 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Because TomTom's system of naming new models the same as old models has made it a nightmare....

There have been about NINE models all called the "One", and no-one can even agree on what "V" number they are.
So you will see the new "TomTom XL" also gets called the "One XL v2" by many retailers.
The old "One XL" had a separate mount, the new "TomTom XL" has the integrated 'Easyport' mount.

To confuse matters further, there are now "IQ routing" and "LIVE + IQ routing " versions of the XL.

(IQ routing has likely traffic delay times for different times of day/days of week built into the map, so routes calculated are more "intellegent".

LIVE models have a built-in SIM card and have an optional subscription to HD Traffic info, Google search, Weather and Fuel Prices
adrianmarsh
Occasional Visitor

PostPosted: Wed Jul 08, 2009 7:20 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Back to this again....

So if you were to look at an advert like this:

http://www.totalpda.co.uk/TomTom/TomTom-XL-IQ-Routes-UK.7734.html

Does the v3 mean its a software version 3? or, does that refer to a hardware version too? And if it is v3 software, would I be able to take it up to the latest (v8?)
adrianmarsh
Occasional Visitor

PostPosted: Wed Jul 08, 2009 7:25 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

and just to double check... are features like Advanced lane guidance all part of the latest software (and so apply to all the types if you update?)

So if I did go and buy one advertising an older s/w release, I could upgrade and get those new features anyway?
Daggers
Lifetime Member

PostPosted: Wed Jul 08, 2009 7:40 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I would guess that it refers to v3 of the TomTom XL. IQ Routes wasn't available at v3 of the software.
adrianmarsh
Occasional Visitor

PostPosted: Wed Jul 08, 2009 7:41 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Hi Daggers,

ok - but does that mean it could be upgraded to the latest v8 then? and would IQ routes then come into play?

trying to figure out if I buy the older one, will I still be able to upgrade the s/w and get the newer features...
mikealder
Pocket GPS Moderator
Pocket GPS Moderator

PostPosted: Wed Jul 08, 2009 8:05 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

To get IQ Routes on an XL you will have to purchase an XL loaded with IQ Routes from day one, I very much doubt TomTom will make the maps containing this data available for the earlier devices.

I am not too sure the earlier devices will even run the IQ Routes data correctly due to the lower RAM available to the device (32MB vs 64MB for IQ enabled devices) - Mike

Posted: Today    Post subject: Pocket GPS Advertising

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Pocket GPS World Forum Index -> TomTom Portable Navigation Devices All times are GMT + 1 Hour
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: