Home PageFacebookRSS News Feed
PocketGPS
Web
SatNav,GPS,Navigation
Pocket GPS World - SatNavs | GPS | Speed Cameras: Forums

Pocket GPS World :: View topic - Ipaq Or Tungsten - TomTom Or SmartST
 Forum FAQForum FAQ   SearchSearch   UsergroupsUsergroups   ProfileProfile   Log in for private messagesLog in for private messages   Log inLog in 

Ipaq Or Tungsten - TomTom Or SmartST
Goto page 1, 2  Next

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Pocket GPS World Forum Index -> Beginners GPS Lounge
View previous topic :: View next topic  
jlw
Frequent Visitor

PostPosted: Mon May 10, 2004 8:14 pm    Post subject: Ipaq Or Tungsten - TomTom Or SmartST Reply with quote

Which one is the best packet pc for GPS?

Advantage and disadvantage I want to know.

The tungsten seems to be more soild and have a bigger screen. Can the ipaq rotate the screen to? I want my screen like this. Looks cool!

How long do the battery last in the gps signal receiver? Can it use DC power? I want long standby. very long.

greatful for every reply.
Tim Buxton
Pocket GPS Moderator
Pocket GPS Moderator

PostPosted: Mon May 10, 2004 8:19 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

The iPaq currently needs 3rd party software to rotate the screen, but it is rumoured to be included in WM2003 SE, which might be available soon.
DavidW
Pocket GPS Moderator
Pocket GPS Moderator

PostPosted: Mon May 10, 2004 8:24 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Many of the issues were covered in this thread (click on the smaller words) - which is about the various different hardware platforms that can run TomTom Navigator.

GPS receivers - wired GPSes (GPS mice) are powered by the cable. Bluetooth GPSes - it's up to you to supply power in car if you want to. Standalone GPSes (such as a Garmin or Magellan unit being used with a cable) - you're advised to choose a cable solution that powers the GPS. Other GPSes - if they fit to the PDA, such as a CompactFlash card or expansion pack, they'll be powered by it.

Apart from those brief answers, it's really up to you to read the various forums and the reviews on the site. There's no one best product - they all have advantages and disadvantages.

David
jlw
Frequent Visitor

PostPosted: Mon May 10, 2004 8:40 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

DavidW wrote:
Many of the issues were covered in this thread (click on the smaller words) - which is about the various different hardware platforms that can run TomTom Navigator.

GPS receivers - wired GPSes (GPS mice) are powered by the cable. Bluetooth GPSes - it's up to you to supply power in car if you want to. Standalone GPSes (such as a Garmin or Magellan unit being used with a cable) - you're advised to choose a cable solution that powers the GPS. Other GPSes - if they fit to the PDA, such as a CompactFlash card or expansion pack, they'll be powered by it.

Apart from those brief answers, it's really up to you to read the various forums and the reviews on the site. There's no one best product - they all have advantages and disadvantages.

David

Thank you for the reply!

You mean that I can power the bluetooth GPS via the cigarette lighther in my car? I add a picture of it. ;-)

Its very enoying to change battery every singel day.

Can the Pocket PC and the bluetooth mice use the same power source?

I dont like batterys. ;)

regards.

Thumbs Up
DavidW
Pocket GPS Moderator
Pocket GPS Moderator

PostPosted: Mon May 10, 2004 9:12 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

The safest thing to do is to get one of those 3 in 1 or 4 in 1 adapters for your cigarette lighter socket - ideally hiding it out of the way, together with all the chargers and related gubbins.

You can then plug the Pocket PC charger into one socket and an in-car charger for a Bluetooth GPS into another.

The neatest installation comes if you can get another cigarette lighter socket (or two - in which case you can dispense with the adapter) wired in behind the dashboard - and hide all the chargers and related gubbins there. That's how my installation is done - the power comes from the vehicle's carphone loom, which the phone car kit is also wired to.

Nice car, by the way - my brother is thinking of buying an A3. I drive a Vauxhall Zafira - I'm a bit limited in what I can drive because I need something big enough to take my electric wheelchair. A Zafira is only just big enough!

David
jlw
Frequent Visitor

PostPosted: Mon May 10, 2004 10:25 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

DavidW wrote:
The safest thing to do is to get one of those 3 in 1 or 4 in 1 adapters for your cigarette lighter socket - ideally hiding it out of the way, together with all the chargers and related gubbins.

You can then plug the Pocket PC charger into one socket and an in-car charger for a Bluetooth GPS into another.

The neatest installation comes if you can get another cigarette lighter socket (or two - in which case you can dispense with the adapter) wired in behind the dashboard - and hide all the chargers and related gubbins there. That's how my installation is done - the power comes from the vehicle's carphone loom, which the phone car kit is also wired to.

Nice car, by the way - my brother is thinking of buying an A3. I drive a Vauxhall Zafira - I'm a bit limited in what I can drive because I need something big enough to take my electric wheelchair. A Zafira is only just big enough!

David

Thank you for all your help!

Where can I buy these 3 in 1 cigarette adapters? It would be perfect to newer change the batteries and newer worrie about the power.
Tim Buxton
Pocket GPS Moderator
Pocket GPS Moderator

PostPosted: Mon May 10, 2004 10:28 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I got a four way one from Halfords for about a fiver. Navman, mobile, radar detector and a spare.
jlw
Frequent Visitor

PostPosted: Mon May 10, 2004 10:37 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Tim Buxton wrote:
I got a four way one from Halfords for about a fiver. Navman, mobile, radar detector and a spare.

url please. Smile
DavidW
Pocket GPS Moderator
Pocket GPS Moderator

PostPosted: Mon May 10, 2004 10:41 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

It's not a good price at all, but here's one at Halfords.

David
Tim Buxton
Pocket GPS Moderator
Pocket GPS Moderator

PostPosted: Tue May 11, 2004 7:40 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I can't find the one I bought on Halfords' website, but I have to go there today anyway, so will see if I can get a part number.
jlw
Frequent Visitor

PostPosted: Tue May 11, 2004 12:01 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

come on guys!!!

They dont ship to sweden!! Sad
Tim Buxton
Pocket GPS Moderator
Pocket GPS Moderator

PostPosted: Tue May 11, 2004 2:59 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Hey, it's not our fault you live in Sweden. Wink If you put your location in your profile, we'd have known better than to suggest Halfords. Do you have a Motor Accessories chain? They are likely to have what you need.
DavidW
Pocket GPS Moderator
Pocket GPS Moderator

PostPosted: Wed May 12, 2004 3:52 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

It's not worth importing something like this - local car accessory or electronics outlets should have something.

Setting your location in your profile is a good idea - otherwise we tend to assume UK, as I think the majority of users at this site are UK based.

David
jlw
Frequent Visitor

PostPosted: Wed May 12, 2004 3:58 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

whish one should i chose:

iPAQ 2210
iPAQ 1940
or
iPAQ 4150
icsys
Frequent Visitor

PostPosted: Wed May 12, 2004 11:27 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

iPAQ 2210 ... Thumbs Up
iPAQ 1940 ... Stop! Although this is a current model, it will NOT be supported when future Windows Mobile upgrades are released so is not reccommended.
or
iPAQ 4150 ... Thumbs Up

Posted: Today    Post subject: Pocket GPS Advertising

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Pocket GPS World Forum Index -> Beginners GPS Lounge All times are GMT + 1 Hour
Goto page 1, 2  Next
Page 1 of 2

Jump to: