Home PageFacebookRSS News Feed
PocketGPS
Web
SatNav,GPS,Navigation
Pocket GPS World - SatNavs | GPS | Speed Cameras: Forums

Pocket GPS World :: View topic - Quickest Route
 Forum FAQForum FAQ   SearchSearch   UsergroupsUsergroups   ProfileProfile   Log in for private messagesLog in for private messages   Log inLog in 

Quickest Route

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Pocket GPS World Forum Index -> TomTom Software-Only Products
View previous topic :: View next topic  
paulwilko
Regular Visitor

PostPosted: Sat May 08, 2004 11:46 pm    Post subject: Quickest Route Reply with quote

Hello, I have looked on this site and can not find the answer to this.

I got my TTN3 and 2210 yesterday, so obviousy I have a learning curve, but, some of the directions this thing sends me on are nothing short of a disgrace.

Can anybody please tell me the best way to set this thing up so it gives me the best directions with the shortest travelling time. It says it is sorting the "Quickest Route", but as a test of local roads, it quite obviosuly isn't.

Any help would be grately appreciated.

Thanks

Paul
DavidW
Pocket GPS Moderator
Pocket GPS Moderator

PostPosted: Sun May 09, 2004 12:12 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

The defaults normally are pretty sensible - though you do need to be aware that systems like TomTom Navigator do not know where the traffic hold ups are likely to be; they assume instead that you can do a certain speed along each road according to its classification in their map data.

If you expect it to have the knowledge you do about the best routes locally to you, you may finish up disillusioned. However, you can always go against its routing by placing explicit drivebys, by turning off guidance (or muting the speaker), or by simply ignoring directions you're not happy with (it will re-route). Sometimes asking for an alternative route can lead to something better than you started out with.

If there's a particular local road that's appalling and you never want to use it, put an avoid area to block that road.

Obviously there's limitations as to how much information you want to give about your location, but if you can give particular examples of what you think is bad routing, maybe we can help further.

David
paulwilko
Regular Visitor

PostPosted: Sun May 09, 2004 10:09 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Thanks for your quick reply David.

I will give you an example from yesterday.

TRavelling back from Middlesbrough heading south.

I have been doing this for years and always go A1, M18, M1. Sounds pretty sensible to me !!

TTN3 did not want to touch the M18 at all.

It sent me on the A1 then onto the M1, which in itself is not too bad but when i asked for an alternative route it sent me all the way down the A1 which is a pretty crappy route

Hope this helps

What should the settings for speeds be ??

Paul
technik
Lifetime Member

PostPosted: Sun May 09, 2004 11:04 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

If you know the route that you want to take, then just put in avoids for the roads that TTN3 wants to take you on, and then recalculate the route. Quite simple really.

It's been said before on here, that if you know the route already then you don't need to use any navigation programs. Happy
technik
Lifetime Member

PostPosted: Sun May 09, 2004 11:07 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

paulwilko wrote:

Paul

I leave all the speeds as default except for motorways which I change to suit my own average driving speeds.
DavidW
Pocket GPS Moderator
Pocket GPS Moderator

PostPosted: Sun May 09, 2004 2:49 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

paulwilko wrote:

I have been doing this for years and always go A1, M18, M1. Sounds pretty sensible to me !!

It sent me on the A1 then onto the M1, which in itself is not too bad but when i asked for an alternative route it sent me all the way down the A1 which is a pretty crappy route

I have my speeds set at the defaults.

The A1, M18, M1 versus A1, M1 is a pretty marginal decision. We regularly drive both in my family, and there's rarely much more than few minutes difference between the time taken to drive both these.

I just asked Navigator 3 to plan me a route from a family member who lives in Newcastle Upon Tyne to home (Bedfordshire), and Navigator 3 went A1, M18, M1! It might make some difference that I tend to leave "Strict" routing enabled (in the Properties page, Advanced tab) - it can slow down planning significantly on long and complicated routes, but the resulting routes can be rather more optimised.

It may pay to experiment a little with your system and see if tweaking the settings slightly gives routes nearer what you'd like. You can always reset the speeds to their defaults using the defaults button offered.

David
R1chard
Regular Visitor

PostPosted: Sun May 09, 2004 9:49 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

paulwilko wrote:
The default settings are OK if you travel in the early hours of the morning when really you should be in bed.

If you travel when there's significant other traffic on the road then you may want to adjust your speeds down a little (I reduce mine by 5 kilometres per hour).

And if the only traveling you do is 8.00 to 10.00 on a Monday and 2.00 to 6.00 on a Friday on the M6 around Birmingham then perhaps you should reduce speeds by 90%. Alternatively use the M6 Toll - but you'll have to find it yourself because TT3 won't help you!

Maybe TT4 will have the ability to set speed profiles. (Then again maybe not!).

Richard
Conor
Regular Visitor

PostPosted: Mon May 10, 2004 1:24 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

paulwilko wrote:
Thanks for your quick reply David.

Hope this helps

Paul

ALL Routing software does the A1/M1 link road including Autoroute etc. THe only way to get it to use the A1/M18 is to LOWER the speed for the motorway.

If you're in a car, the difference is next to nothing. In a lorry though due to the hills on the M1 from Leeds to Sheffield, it takes a good 10-15 minutes longer.
hollis_f
Regular Visitor

PostPosted: Mon May 10, 2004 8:04 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

One of the things I was hoping for would be a more intelligent routing system.

When I plot a route home from work the default route is 0.28 hours, 12.0 miles. But that takes me through a closed road.

So I put an avoid on that road and the new route is 0.28 hours and 10.7 miles.

Obviously the preferred route takes a few seconds less time than the shorter route. But, equally obviously, the shorter route is the preferred one (takes the same amount of time and it's 10% shorter). In fact, the route I actually take is 0.31 hours and 10.4 miles.

What I'd like to be able to do it tell TTN that I'm willing to make a compromise between time taken and distance travelled. I'd like to specify the compromise factor - say 0.5 minutes a mile. So a 100 mile journey that took 120 minutes would be preferable to a 110 mile journey that took 116 minutes.
DavidW
Pocket GPS Moderator
Pocket GPS Moderator

PostPosted: Mon May 10, 2004 1:02 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

In that latter case, does enabling Strict routing make any difference?

Tunable routing would be nice - but the routing algorithms used may make such tuning hard to offer, and people may not find the most optimal routes for them even with such options. Indeed, they may leave the tuning options in such a way that makes routing overall worse than default.

What may be more useful would be an option to calculate a few alternative routes and compare them before selecting one - though this also depends on the ability of the routing algorithms to do this, rather than just come up with a single good (but not necessarily the best) route. As it is, Navigator 2 and Navigator 3 might offer a sensible first Alternative. The second Alternative is usually fairly daft and they just get more and more unusable from there on. It's very rare than if you select Alternative that you'll get a route that uses a different main road, for example, where there are two options.

Right now, the only tuning possible is to change the speeds - but that is, I understand, more tuning than many products offer.

No computer routing system can take into account all factors that a human can - no computer system can have the knowledge humans do, particularly about your local area. How, for example, do you code for typical M25 congestion, bearing in mind that some days are better than others? Navigator 3's algorithms are slightly different to Navigator 2's - some routes I drive regularly are slightly different in the new version, and it's not down to corrections in the maps.

If you know a particular route is preferred, use it. At least with Navigator 3 you can add drive-bys if you want to go a particular way.

David

Posted: Today    Post subject: Pocket GPS Advertising

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Pocket GPS World Forum Index -> TomTom Software-Only Products All times are GMT + 1 Hour
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: