Home PageFacebookRSS News Feed
PocketGPS
Web
SatNav,GPS,Navigation
Pocket GPS World - SatNavs | GPS | Speed Cameras: Forums

Pocket GPS World :: View topic - TT730 POI & Safety Camera Problems
 Forum FAQForum FAQ   SearchSearch   UsergroupsUsergroups   ProfileProfile   Log in for private messagesLog in for private messages   Log inLog in 

TT730 POI & Safety Camera Problems

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Pocket GPS World Forum Index -> TomTom Portable Navigation Devices
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Roscoepicotrain
Occasional Visitor

PostPosted: Thu Jun 18, 2009 3:03 pm    Post subject: TT730 POI & Safety Camera Problems Reply with quote

Hi - I have managed to get the safety cameras and spoken voice alerts working fine on the TT internal memory, but then I downloaded a (large) POI file and installed it in the map directory, which put my TomTom into a continual loop - I couldn't start it.

So I've moved the map onto the SD card - all was OK - then I installed the POI's onto the memory card - it only seems to install 267 categories - so that when I copy the Safety Camera data you can't see that either.

Any help would be much appreciated.
JockTamsonsBairn
Lifetime Member

PostPosted: Thu Jun 18, 2009 4:24 pm    Post subject: Re: TT730 POI & Safety Camera Problems Reply with quote

Roscoepicotrain wrote:
Hi - I have managed to get the safety cameras and spoken voice alerts working fine on the TT internal memory, but then I downloaded a (large) POI file and installed it in the map directory, which put my TomTom into a continual loop - I couldn't start it.

So I've moved the map onto the SD card - all was OK - then I installed the POI's onto the memory card - it only seems to install 267 categories - so that when I copy the Safety Camera data you can't see that either.

Can you clarify what you mean by "a (large) POI file"? Is that a single file with many individual items, e.g. lots of branches of a single supermarket chain, OR a large number of different POI files, e.g. all hotels broken down by brand i.e. one file for " Bed & Breakfast", one for "Best Western Hotel", one for "Britannia Hotel", ...? I ask because you go on to say "it only seems to install 267 categories". Do you mean categories or do you mean POIs?
If you do mean categories then I'm sure that is the root of your problem. I'm sure that maximum number of categories that TT will handle is less than 267 (169?). Try loading a smaller quantity, say 100, and check that the system works correctly with those.
Are the additional categories downloaded from here or from elsewhere? If from here, there is the option to "Combine subcategories into category file". From memory the individual POIs will include the brand name, so using the accommodation example above, you would have one Accomodation category, but the individual POIs would be identified as Best Western or Britannia.

TomTom Go 940 LIVE (9.510, Europe v915.5074 on SD & 8.371, WCE v875.3613 on board)
Roscoepicotrain
Occasional Visitor

PostPosted: Thu Jun 18, 2009 4:44 pm    Post subject: Re: TT730 POI & Safety Camera Problems Reply with quote

JockTamsonsBairn wrote:
Roscoepicotrain wrote:

Can you clarify what you mean by "a (large) POI file"? Is that a single file with many individual items, e.g. lots of branches of a single supermarket chain, OR a large number of different POI files, e.g. all hotels broken down by brand i.e. one file for " Bed & Breakfast", one for "Best Western Hotel", one for "Britannia Hotel", ...? I ask because you go on to say "it only seems to install 267 categories". Do you mean categories or do you mean POIs?
If you do mean categories then I'm sure that is the root of your problem. I'm sure that maximum number of categories that TT will handle is less than 267 (169?). Try loading a smaller quantity, say 100, and check that the system works correctly with those.
Are the additional categories downloaded from here or from elsewhere? If from here, there is the option to "Combine subcategories into category file". From memory the individual POIs will include the brand name, so using the accommodation example above, you would have one Accomodation category, but the individual POIs would be identified as Best Western or Britannia.

Hi Jock and thanks for your reply!

Yes, I downloaded each as a separate category I guess - I will try combining the file and see if it works. Yes, they were all downloaded from this site.

Many thanks.
JockTamsonsBairn
Lifetime Member

PostPosted: Thu Jun 18, 2009 5:27 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

There's a limit to the number of categories that can be combined and have the download work (20?). You can still download smaller combined files (e.g. Accommodation A-F, Accommodation G-L, ...) and then add these together using, I think, POIEdit.

TomTom Go 940 LIVE (9.510, Europe v915.5074 on SD & 8.371, WCE v875.3613 on board)
Oldboy
Pocket GPS Moderator
Pocket GPS Moderator

PostPosted: Thu Jun 18, 2009 7:24 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

JockTamsonsBairn wrote:
There's a limit to the number of categories that can be combined and have the download work (20?).
If you download as a CSV File, there is no subcategory limit. Rolling Eyes

Just need to convert with POIEdit or MakeOV2. MakeoV2 is my choice as you can just Drag n Drop the CSV on to MakeOV2 in Win Explorer. Smile

TT 910 V7.903: Europe Map v1045
TT Via 135 App 12.075: Europe Map v1120

Posted: Today    Post subject: Pocket GPS Advertising

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Pocket GPS World Forum Index -> TomTom Portable Navigation Devices All times are GMT + 1 Hour
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: