Home PageFacebookRSS News Feed
PocketGPS
Web
SatNav,GPS,Navigation
Pocket GPS World - SatNavs | GPS | Speed Cameras: Forums

Pocket GPS World :: View topic - CF BT batery life
 Forum FAQForum FAQ   SearchSearch   UsergroupsUsergroups   ProfileProfile   Log in for private messagesLog in for private messages   Log inLog in 

CF BT batery life

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Pocket GPS World Forum Index -> Beginners GPS Lounge
View previous topic :: View next topic  
UHF
Regular Visitor

PostPosted: Thu Apr 15, 2004 5:06 am    Post subject: CF BT batery life Reply with quote

Most say that BT is better since it uses it's own battery and not the PDAs. But having to use the BT transmits and receives a signal. Wouldn't this also drain the battery quicker, like surfing the net using WiFi? Is BT that much better? I was getting 4 hours on my PDA with a CF, I wonder if the lifer will be better with the BT on but no CF?
Will turning on the BT and leaving it running without receiving a GPS signal be a fair test or do I need it to talk to a BT device to be a fair test?
lbendlin
Pocket GPS Staff
Pocket GPS Staff

PostPosted: Thu Apr 15, 2004 2:52 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

BT power consumption is different for each PDA. Some even have a slider where you can select low, medium or high power output (and influence the range). Needless to say I put mine to low.

The consumption will be slightly different when there is traffic over the BT network. For realistic measurements you should keep the PocketPC running , for example with a datalogger like VisualGPSCE.

How does it compare to CF? We haven't done that test yet - maybe you can be a pioneer in that area?

Report Map Errors here:
TomTom/TeleAtlas NAVTEQ
UHF
Regular Visitor

PostPosted: Wed Apr 21, 2004 11:06 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Update.
Fortuna Pocket XTrack CompacFlash card and Ipaq 2215: 3h, 59minutes before Ipac turned off the com port and gps didn't work 10% capacity left and 100%backup capacity left while set at lowest level for backup batery life, 24 hours.

Fortuna Clip-on BlueTooth reciever and Ipaq 2215: 5h 3minutes with 9% capacity left and 100%backup capacity left while set at lowest level for backup batery life, 24 hours.

Both tests were preformed with back light at 50% and MPN running and no other programs. The displays were set to never turn off.

I'd say BT is worth 1 hour/25% longer operation.
If you ran with the back light at lowest level, but still on, you would probably see a lot more time, but that is the next test. I heard full backlighting pulls a lot of mah.

Posted: Today    Post subject: Pocket GPS Advertising

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Pocket GPS World Forum Index -> Beginners GPS Lounge All times are GMT + 1 Hour
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: