Home PageFacebookRSS News Feed
PocketGPS
Web
SatNav,GPS,Navigation
Brixly - Fast, Reliable, Secure UK Web Hosting
Pocket GPS World - SatNavs | GPS | Speed Cameras: Forums

Pocket GPS World :: View topic - Changing Paired Phone
 Forum FAQForum FAQ   SearchSearch   UsergroupsUsergroups   ProfileProfile   Log in for private messagesLog in for private messages   Log inLog in 

Changing Paired Phone
Goto page 1, 2  Next

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Pocket GPS World Forum Index -> TomTom Portable Navigation Devices
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Mally1957
Lifetime Member

PostPosted: Wed Jan 28, 2009 9:06 pm    Post subject: Changing Paired Phone Reply with quote

Recently I changed my mobile phone that I have paired with my Tomtom One Version 1.
Now every time I connect my tomtom to computer to update camera database or update via home my tomtom reverts to the original phone along with other settings such as chosen voice, speaker volume and start up screen. Confused
Has anyone a solution to this.

Another issue I have found on changing phone (this is at least true for the Orange network) is that for your phone to connect to traffic you have to disable the orange safeguard lock to enable adult content, why Orange should think connecting to the Tomtom servers warrants an adult content lock I dont know.

A now retired Tomtom 940 v9.541.3145439.1 OS:1493118, GPS v1.20 Boot 5.5120, West Europe Map v1025.9386
Andy_P
Pocket GPS Moderator
Pocket GPS Moderator

PostPosted: Wed Jan 28, 2009 10:25 pm    Post subject: Re: Changing Paired Phone Reply with quote

Mally1957 wrote:
why Orange should think connecting to the Tomtom servers warrants an adult content lock I dont know.

It's because of the bad language you're likely to use, trying to get it to work! Wink

Does your TT really lose its settings when you connect to the PC, or is it ONLY when you connect to Home?
Calomax
Lifetime Member

PostPosted: Wed Jan 28, 2009 10:27 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I don't know if the one is the same as the 720, but I had to delete the old phone before I could pair my new one.
Mally1957
Lifetime Member

PostPosted: Wed Jan 28, 2009 10:46 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Quote:
Does your TT really lose its settings when you connect to the PC, or is it ONLY when you connect to Home?

Andy_P yes it is when connecting via the USB cable to the computer and also when running Home, but of course you have to be connected to the computer to run home so I doubt there is a seperate issue there.

Quote:
I don't know if the one is the same as the 720, but I had to delete the old phone before I could pair my new one.

Calomax the option the one gives you is manage phones it then asks if you want to stay paired with the present phone (ie my new one) then after connecting to computer / Home the setting reverts to my previous phone.
I can see no way in the menu to delete the old phone before pairing with the new phone.

A now retired Tomtom 940 v9.541.3145439.1 OS:1493118, GPS v1.20 Boot 5.5120, West Europe Map v1025.9386
Andy_P
Pocket GPS Moderator
Pocket GPS Moderator

PostPosted: Wed Jan 28, 2009 10:59 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Mally1957 wrote:
Quote:

Andy_P yes it is when connecting via the USB cable to the computer and also when running Home, but of course you have to be connected to the computer to run home so I doubt there is a seperate issue there.

That's odd...
Home has a reputation for resetting quite a few things (like POI warning settings), especially when you use Home's on-screen emulator, but I can't see how just connecting the USB cable could have that effect.

Last edited by Andy_P on Thu Jan 29, 2009 1:52 am; edited 1 time in total
Mally1957
Lifetime Member

PostPosted: Wed Jan 28, 2009 11:10 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Quote:
That's odd...
Home has a reputation for resetting quite a few things (like POI warning settings), especially when you use Home's on-screen emulator, but I can't see how just connecting the USB cable could have that effect.

Same here at the moment I am stuck with it been a weekly event on a Wednesday when I update camera database.
At least my new phone a Sony Ericsson C902 is a supported phone so I dont have to enter all the settings manually unlike my previous Samsung Z400. Exclamation

DennisN
Tired Old Man
Tired Old Man

PostPosted: Wed Jan 28, 2009 11:15 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

It keeps happening to me Andy. I have decided that it's the way I connect, probably. My 920 has an SDHC card as well as internal, so when I plug in, Home fires up and immediately asks me to select internal or external. I ignore it and carry on doing my thing with Win Explorer. When I've finished, I need to disconnect, so what I do is return to Home and, because it won't allow me to select Device Disconnect until I get rid of the Choose internal or external window, I select one of them, then go for Device Disconnect. It was once even worse than just losing settings. But I think I may have cracked it now (ooops - Murphy's Law!!). I think it may be when I select the internal rather than external. Problem is, I can't reliably duplicate the effect.

If it tastes good - it's fattening.

Two of them are obesiting!!
Mally1957
Lifetime Member

PostPosted: Thu Jan 29, 2009 1:10 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Quote:
It keeps happening to me Andy. I have decided that it's the way I connect, probably. My 920 has an SDHC card as well as internal, so when I plug in, Home fires up and immediately asks me to select internal or external. I ignore it and carry on doing my thing with Win Explorer.

This is why I suspect it is not Home causing the problem because I have disabled Home from starting up automatically as a startup program so when I do a windows explorer backup or camera database update only Home does not fire up but I still have the same problem.

Andy_P
Pocket GPS Moderator
Pocket GPS Moderator

PostPosted: Thu Jan 29, 2009 1:55 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Mally1957 wrote:
I have disabled Home from starting up automatically as a startup program

As you should have done, Dennis!
Calomax
Lifetime Member

PostPosted: Thu Jan 29, 2009 9:31 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Mally1957 wrote
Quote:
Calomax the option the one gives you is manage phones it then asks if you want to stay paired with the present phone (ie my new one) then after connecting to computer / Home the setting reverts to my previous phone.
I can see no way in the menu to delete the old phone before pairing with the new phone
Sad Sorry I can't help then, the One is obviously different from the 720. I couldn't pair my new iPhone until I had deleted the old Nokia 6300.
trevor.dowle
Lifetime Member

PostPosted: Thu Jan 29, 2009 10:37 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I'm sure I've read somewhere on this forum, that it is possible to have more than 1 phone paired with a TomTom.
I'm glad I read this thread as I was going to try my 3 contract phone instead of my PAYG orange.
Don't want to lose the 'pairing' altogether!

Trev Dowle
TomTom 730 T
Andy_P
Pocket GPS Moderator
Pocket GPS Moderator

PostPosted: Thu Jan 29, 2009 11:34 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

trevor.dowle wrote:
I'm sure I've read somewhere on this forum, that it is possible to have more than 1 phone paired with a TomTom.

I'm 90% sure you can on the Go models at least.

I haven't got any phones in front of me with bluetooth (4 phones in the family and only mine doesn't have it), but I'm pretty certain one of my Go's is paired with both my wife and my daughter's phones.

Anyone know if I can check that without the phones being here?
DennisN
Tired Old Man
Tired Old Man

PostPosted: Thu Jan 29, 2009 11:44 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I understand you can have multiple pairings - one device, several phones, one phone, several devices.

BUT you can only have one pairing active at any time.

If it tastes good - it's fattening.

Two of them are obesiting!!
trevor.dowle
Lifetime Member

PostPosted: Fri Jan 30, 2009 12:11 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Thanks Dennis, If thats the case then its not a problem.

Trev Dowle
TomTom 730 T
Calomax
Lifetime Member

PostPosted: Fri Jan 30, 2009 1:05 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Yes, I think I was slightly confused. I think my device still had the old phone as being active. I deleted it anyway as I didn't need it paired any more, so I didn't look into deactivating it.

Posted: Today    Post subject: Pocket GPS Advertising

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Pocket GPS World Forum Index -> TomTom Portable Navigation Devices All times are GMT + 1 Hour
Goto page 1, 2  Next
Page 1 of 2

Jump to: