Home PageFacebookRSS News Feed
PocketGPS
Web
SatNav,GPS,Navigation
Pocket GPS World - SatNavs | GPS | Speed Cameras: Forums

Pocket GPS World :: View topic - Fortuna BT clipon and Teletype?
 Forum FAQForum FAQ   SearchSearch   UsergroupsUsergroups   ProfileProfile   Log in for private messagesLog in for private messages   Log inLog in 

Fortuna BT clipon and Teletype?
Goto page 1, 2  Next

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Pocket GPS World Forum Index -> GPS Receivers
View previous topic :: View next topic  
UHF
Regular Visitor

PostPosted: Mon Apr 12, 2004 4:59 pm    Post subject: Fortuna BT clipon and Teletype? Reply with quote

Will this combo work? I have read "wireless" use requires a serial cable to work. Can anyone confirm this. I'd like to use the TType software, but want to use the dual mode Fortuna BT. I have had the TType BT before and it only lasted 3 hours. That was hardly enough for a short hike.
lbendlin
Pocket GPS Staff
Pocket GPS Staff

PostPosted: Mon Apr 12, 2004 5:02 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

According to our comparison database the Fortuna is lasting 8.5 hours. Should be good enough.

Serial wires? No, not really. Maybe the post was referring to the power cable that's required when you permanently mount the GPS receiver in the car.

Report Map Errors here:
TomTom/TeleAtlas NAVTEQ
UHF
Regular Visitor

PostPosted: Tue Apr 13, 2004 1:02 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Thanks, but can I get a little more clarification please? They do not address BT under their wireless category on their website. Here is what the website says, so my current Fortuna CF will not work. Unless someone knows of a hack. However, BT is wireless and don't want to purchase another GPS if it wont work.

TELETYPE GPS COMPATIBILITY
OTHER GPS RECEIVERS SUPPORTED

The most important concept to understand is that if your GPS receiver outputs standard code called NMEA (0183 v2.0) then TeleType GPS software supports the receiver provided that the receiver uses wires to connect to the PDA or laptop. TeleType does not support NMEA devices which are wireless such as compact flash or jacket style GPSs made by other companies. You need to provide a serial cable from your computer or PDA to make the connection to the GPS receiver's serial cable. TeleType GPS part numbers are given below to correspond to the appropriate GPS serial cable which can be found in our catalog. If no part number is given this is an indication that you must contact the GPS manufacturer to purchase the appropriate cable.

This listing represents only the most popular GPS receivers. Many other GPS receiver makes and models are also supported. See our TeleType GPS Package Compatibility Chart to find information on using your own GPS. Don't forget to see our Complete Catalog.
OTHER DEVICES

Wireless devices, such as Compact Flash and PCMCIA GPS cards are supported only when bundled with the TeleType GPS software. Examples of wireless devices which are not supported are: Pretec, Etak, Haicom, Sentinel, Navman, Co-Pilot, GlobalSat, and similar devices which are not TeleType GPS receivers. These devices are are not supported by the TeleType GPS software. Only the serial port based receivers pictured in the compatibility chart shown above are supported.
lbendlin
Pocket GPS Staff
Pocket GPS Staff

PostPosted: Tue Apr 13, 2004 1:55 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

What a crappy text... The questions you really need to ask are

- does the GPS device require special software (a driver) to expose a COM port to the Pocket PC? Navman jackets are known to require that, and a few CF receivers as well. Most of the better receivers are , however, coming with all drivers included, and just add another COM port to the list

- does TeleType allow you to select non-standard COM ports? Sometimes applications are limited to COM1 to COM5 and would choke at a COM8 port. Sometimes the Port isn't called "COM4" but "EmtacJacket" - not a problem as long as the application is listing the port

- does TeleType allow to set the speed? Some jackets need 4800, some 38400, some 56700.

- does TeleType try to read the model of the GPS receiver (a la Navman) and stupidly restrict itself to its own hardware. I guess that's not the case since you can't read that off a serial line.

So tell them to go back and re-think about the word wireless. Of course a CF or jacket receiver has wires! How else is it making contact to the PDA?

A real wireless receiver is one where you can wave your hand between the receiver and the PDA. BlueTooth and (with some fantasy) Infrared.

Report Map Errors here:
TomTom/TeleAtlas NAVTEQ
UHF
Regular Visitor

PostPosted: Tue Apr 13, 2004 3:01 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Now you see my frustration. I have used their Live tech support online. They refered me to that posting and said have a good day. If youre not a technical person like me, I don't know what that ment. I just needed to know if Teletype software works with Clip-on BT GPS, but they can't answer. Of course, you open the software and its yours.
When I start TType with the Fortuna CF card in, I get:
Warning
This GPS Card is Invalid. To use GPS Receiver, please contact TeleType GPS 1-888-TELETYPE.
So, I hit ok and the program starts.
Going to GPS status and find GPS port:
Scanning ports 7,8,9,1,2,3,4,5,6. No GPS prt found.
It always on port 7 with GPS tweak and GPS monitor.
When I run PocketMap navigator, my CF GPS shows as:
COM7: Fortuan-pocketXTrack-D78D
and works fine.
I just wish I could get a straight answer of yes or no if the TType program will work with the Fortuna Clip-on Blue Tooth GPS reciever.
lbendlin
Pocket GPS Staff
Pocket GPS Staff

PostPosted: Tue Apr 13, 2004 3:15 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

now wait a second. Are you using a CF or a BT GPS receiver? You kept talking about the BT but all of a sudden mention CF?

If it's a BT receiver and you know the port, don't scan it in TeleType but set it manually to 38400. CF is different, probably good at 4800 or 57600

Report Map Errors here:
TomTom/TeleAtlas NAVTEQ
UHF
Regular Visitor

PostPosted: Tue Apr 13, 2004 5:25 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I own a Fortuna PocketXTrack CF, but want to get a Clipon BT. The CF will not work. I want to know if the BT will before I buy today.
UHF
Regular Visitor

PostPosted: Tue Apr 13, 2004 10:36 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

After a legnthy conversation with the TType tech support:
Will any BT reciever work with TType software? Yes as long as its NMEA.
Will I need any special cables such as serial per your website description? No, that is only for wireless interfaces such as CF and Sleeves, not BT. You wont require any cables to use with TType software.
Let me make this clear. This is in reference to a non-Teletype GPS, a Fortuna GPS reciever which is NMEA. It will work without a cable or anything funny to make it work with the TType software? Yes.

Nuff said, I will return my Fontuna CF for a BT Clip-on.
lbendlin
Pocket GPS Staff
Pocket GPS Staff

PostPosted: Wed Apr 14, 2004 12:00 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Well, at least they admit that the info on their site is wrong.

Even though you may be able to get the CF card to work (I am pretty sure about that) the BT receiver is certainly the better solution. Independent energy source, free antenna placement, plus you can use the CF slot for maps...

Report Map Errors here:
TomTom/TeleAtlas NAVTEQ
UHF
Regular Visitor

PostPosted: Wed Apr 14, 2004 1:46 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

How might I get the CF to work? I've tried all comm ports, SiRF, NMEA, and all baud rates. It scans all ports but will not find it. Doing a manual config on any port or baud fails to find the CF also.
I'd really be interested in finding out how to make it work. I'd prefer the CF over the BT but dont think its possible to make it work.
If you have insite on this please share with me.
lbendlin
Pocket GPS Staff
Pocket GPS Staff

PostPosted: Wed Apr 14, 2004 3:08 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

you can send the receiver to me and I can have a look...

Report Map Errors here:
TomTom/TeleAtlas NAVTEQ
UHF
Regular Visitor

PostPosted: Wed Apr 14, 2004 6:02 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Unfortunately, it's being returned for the Clip-on. If I weren't able to return it for a refund, I'd let you take a hack at it. I believe the problem is with the Teletype software looking for a Teletype CF receiver. I couldn't figure out if the TType receiver sends a different signal or has something encoded in the data stream that the program needs or its just the Ttype program seeing its a Fortuna, as shown in the gps status screen on every program except Ttype where it cannot find the receiver.
I think it's just an issue with the TT program. I used to have a TType BT receiver 5 months ago. In the gps status screen, it was reported as a Teletype receiver. The Ttype program wants a TType GPS if it's a CF or sleeve. They have intentionally written the program that way. I guess to sell more of their receivers. Why else would they do it? They are probably loosing sales since many people, like me, would rather use their own CF and not TType's.
UHF
Regular Visitor

PostPosted: Wed Apr 14, 2004 6:06 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

If you have any CF gps, other than TType, and the TType program, you should get the same error or lack of ability to find the CF.
I can email you the latest program with a file attachment, about 22 mb. Registration is not required to make it function. You wont need the maps to realize the program doesn't want anything but a TType CF. However, I think the TType CF receiver works with any program. I cannot verify that.
lbendlin
Pocket GPS Staff
Pocket GPS Staff

PostPosted: Wed Apr 14, 2004 6:22 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Actually, we are trying to get a review copy from TeleType since quite a while. Since you seem to have good contacts to them (...) maybe you can suggest a better contact person than what we have right now. So far none of my requests were answered.

Report Map Errors here:
TomTom/TeleAtlas NAVTEQ
UHF
Regular Visitor

PostPosted: Wed Apr 14, 2004 3:59 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

All I have ever done is use their On-line support and email. I haven't talked to the same person twice. I have an electronic copy because TType has a download site incase you loose your CD or something. You can also download the current maps for free untill you subscription period is over.

Posted: Today    Post subject: Pocket GPS Advertising

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Pocket GPS World Forum Index -> GPS Receivers All times are GMT + 1 Hour
Goto page 1, 2  Next
Page 1 of 2

Jump to: