Home PageFacebookRSS News Feed
PocketGPS
Web
SatNav,GPS,Navigation
Pocket GPS World - SatNavs | GPS | Speed Cameras: Forums

Pocket GPS World :: View topic - Garmin 215T
 Forum FAQForum FAQ   SearchSearch   UsergroupsUsergroups   ProfileProfile   Log in for private messagesLog in for private messages   Log inLog in 

Garmin 215T

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Pocket GPS World Forum Index -> Garmin Portable Navigation Devices
View previous topic :: View next topic  
sgreenbank
Occasional Visitor

PostPosted: Mon Jan 26, 2009 10:39 am    Post subject: Garmin 215T Reply with quote

Hi,

My mobile phone running TomTom has just died and I am thinking of getting the Nuvu 215T because:

1) It's not widescreen - this to me seems to serve no purpose other than make it look bigger for sales purposes. If it was widescreen but vertical then yes I could see more of where I was going (my phone was always used portrait) but no manufacturer does it this way probably because it could not easily fit in the car.

2) Bluetooth (to replacement phone)

3) Traffic news - is it any good in the UK?

I was also interested if there are any restrictions with the POI. On the TomTom on the phone I could use speed zoned cameras but only when I disabled all but a few other POI. Is the Garmin similarly or worse constricted?
PaulB2005
Pocket GPS Moderator
Pocket GPS Moderator

PostPosted: Mon Jan 26, 2009 11:16 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

With the Garmin units you should have no problems unless you load over 256 categories in one go. Personally i would use the Consolidated database on the Nuvi.

With regards to the Widescreen i think it does make a difference as you can see side road names much easier.

Traffic - Hmmm. Well I haven't used it that much in anger as it where. However it has saved me on at least one occasion but i wouldn't rely on it. The signal is weak in the UK and can be lost at in-opportune moments (usually just as you need it). It's implementation into Garmin units isn't all that good compared to TomToms system. All you get is a symbol telling you the total time of the delays on your route. You have to go through a few screens to get any information about the delays like how many, what type of delay and how far away they are. Did a 300 mile journey once and all the way it showed 40-50 minutes delay but every time i checked the delay was in the last 20 miles of the journey. OK so i needed to know but not until was say 10 miles away from it. Every time the situation changes you have to go through the same screens again to find out if it's another delay that has been added closer to you or if they have adjusted the delay for the original problem.
sgreenbank
Occasional Visitor

PostPosted: Mon Jan 26, 2009 12:14 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Thanks for the info Paul.

The Speed Cameras sounds possibly better but I definitely prefer the speed zones becuase

1) its a comforting reference to what I thought the curent speed limit to be .

2) In areas I know well my navigation is still better than TomToms and I often drive with the map for reference with no route entered. In this situaution you can get proximity alerts which are off your route which particularly if you are on a motorway can easily be identified as irrelevant as the speed does not match.

Which leads to the obvious question of can you set the Nuvi to alert based on distance regardless of whether it is on route and can you change the distance for each type of alert ?

Still not convinced on Widescreen although I do acknowledge that it can be slightly confusing at times when there are a lot of side roads when you need to make a turn.

Traffic does indeed sound less than great. My experience of RDS TA and road matrix signs is that they are often of limited accuracy or just plain wrong. Most RDS TA are not available on Sunday Evening - a particular bug-bear as I am quite often heading towards London on the M1 and it is frequently stuffed.
Darren
Frequent Visitor

PostPosted: Mon Jan 26, 2009 12:25 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

sgreenbank wrote:
Which leads to the obvious question of can you set the Nuvi to alert based on distance regardless of whether it is on route and can you change the distance for each type of alert ?

Yes, you need to look at a utility which auto downlaods our database an allows customisation of the alerts above and beyond the options offered by Garmin directly, it's called ASH10 Camera Manager, see here.
Quote:
Still not convinced on Widescreen although I do acknowledge that it can be slightly confusing at times when there are a lot of side roads when you need to make a turn.

Apparently most people prefer any device that is widescreen in layout because that is the same format as our eyes, i.e. side by side rather than above each other. I know it makes more sense to have a portrait view but analysis shows our brains prefer landscape.
Quote:
Traffic does indeed sound less than great. My experience of RDS TA and road matrix signs is that they are often of limited accuracy or just plain wrong. Most RDS TA are not available on Sunday Evening - a particular bug-bear as I am quite often heading towards London on the M1 and it is frequently stuffed.

RDS-TMC has never lived up to its promises here in the UK.
PaulB2005
Pocket GPS Moderator
Pocket GPS Moderator

PostPosted: Mon Jan 26, 2009 12:26 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Quote:

On of the easiest ways to do this is with Ash10s Camera Manager which allows you to specify the time you want for both the Approach and Overspeed Alerts in seconds, and can be broken down by camera type.
sgreenbank
Occasional Visitor

PostPosted: Mon Jan 26, 2009 1:30 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Darren wrote:
Yes, you need to look at a utility which auto downlaods our database an allows customisation of the alerts above and beyond the options offered by Garmin directly, it's called ASH10 Camera Manager

This looks really useful thanks Darren, Paul & particularly Ash10

Quote:
Apparently most people prefer any device that is widescreen in layout because that is the same format as our eyes, i.e. side by side rather than above each other. I know it makes more sense to have a portrait view but analysis shows our brains prefer landscape.

My brain is clearly wired differently (or the research is wrong).

Quote:
RDS-TMC has never lived up to its promises here in the UK.

On the model I am looking at its not that much of a premium and will probably be worth it just to lose the constant RDS interruptions in some areas. Running along a ridge between W & S Yorkshire you get at least Leeds, Sheffield,Manchester,York & Humberside once every 15mins. I always turn the damn thing off.

Posted: Today    Post subject: Pocket GPS Advertising

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Pocket GPS World Forum Index -> Garmin Portable Navigation Devices All times are GMT + 1 Hour
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: