Home PageFacebookRSS News Feed
PocketGPS
Web
SatNav,GPS,Navigation
Pocket GPS World - SatNavs | GPS | Speed Cameras: Forums

Pocket GPS World :: View topic - Which database(s)?
 Forum FAQForum FAQ   SearchSearch   UsergroupsUsergroups   ProfileProfile   Log in for private messagesLog in for private messages   Log inLog in 

Which database(s)?

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Pocket GPS World Forum Index -> PocketGPSWorld Speed Camera Database
View previous topic :: View next topic  
daviem
Occasional Visitor

PostPosted: Fri Jan 16, 2009 1:51 pm    Post subject: Which database(s)? Reply with quote

I bought a TT910 about 4 years ago when it first came out and subsequently subscribed to PGW's camera database but had problems loading the s/ware and eventually gave up.

I have now just purchased a TT740 Live and have had another look at the website to see if the various camera options were more clearly explained. I have to say I was disappointed by statements such as:

"If you use speed-zoned sub categories use all of the sub categories (else you won’t get warnings for every site) and don't use the full category with the sub-categories (else you will get duplicate warnings). " I think I understand what is meant but it could be made much clearer by an example.

I would simply like to ensure I have the locations of all types of camera loaded and ideally (I am not sure if this is possible) the speed limit that relates to where the camera is located. (I don't think I am alone in this).

Would I use the .OV2 files for every sub-category shown in the drop-down list under the 'Speed-zoned' database? If so would I be missing anything?

Finally, has anyone tried this on the 740 Live, and if so was it completely successful? Is this a better option for obtaining up to date speed camera details than subscribing to TT's update service? If so I will renew my PGW subscription!
mpwilson99
Lifetime Member

PostPosted: Fri Jan 16, 2009 1:55 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

"I would simply like to ensure I have the locations of all types of camera loaded and ideally (I am not sure if this is possible) the speed limit that relates to where the camera is located. (I don't think I am alone in this). "

I think all you need to do, is select your device : TomTom
and from the drop down menu choose UK - SpeedZone Complete.

This gives you ALL the cameras in there group ( such as Gatso, Mobile, Specs ) in the Speed Zone ( 20mph, 30mph, 40mph etc.. )

Hope that helps!

MPW
daviem
Occasional Visitor

PostPosted: Fri Jan 16, 2009 2:04 pm    Post subject: Camera Database(s) Reply with quote

MPW Thanks for that info. It seems incredibly simple and this option is not mentioned on the PGW database description.

Mike
PaulB2005
Pocket GPS Moderator
Pocket GPS Moderator

PostPosted: Fri Jan 16, 2009 2:04 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Basically you download the type of database you want depending on how you want the camera displayed. All the version Speed Zoned, Consolidated and Single File) contain all the camera across different numbers of files. As long as you load ALL the files from that download there should be no missing cameras.

So to get Speed Zoned Cameras for a TomTom you need to select "TomTom OV2" then "XXX Speed Zoned Complete" (where XXX is your country / region) when making your selections. Full instructions are here

Is the PGPSW database better than the TomTom one. Read this page to see why the PGPSW is considered better.
Darren
Frequent Visitor

PostPosted: Fri Jan 16, 2009 2:36 pm    Post subject: Re: Which database(s)? Reply with quote

daviem wrote:
"If you use speed-zoned sub categories use all of the sub categories (else you won’t get warnings for every site) and don't use the full category with the sub-categories (else you will get duplicate warnings). " I think I understand what is meant but it could be made much clearer by an example.

Can I ask where that is written so I can take a look an edit? I agree it's far from clear!

We do try to make it as simple as possible given the multitude of devices we support and the many combinations available but we're only four people and we don't always get it right. However I will address this ASAP if you can point me to where it is.

On the flip side, the forums as you have found are the very best source of assistance and if you ever have an issue it can be resolved here so stick at it this time and you will be rewarded!
Anita
Pocket GPS Moderator
Pocket GPS Moderator

PostPosted: Fri Jan 16, 2009 2:51 pm    Post subject: Re: Which database(s)? Reply with quote

Darren wrote:
Can I ask where that is written so I can take a look an edit? I agree it's far from clear!

It's on the Download page, near the bottom, under "What camera database categories do I need?"
Samsung Galaxy S21
Darren
Frequent Visitor

PostPosted: Fri Jan 16, 2009 3:29 pm    Post subject: Re: Which database(s)? Reply with quote

Anita wrote:
It's on the Download page, near the bottom, under "What camera database categories do I need?"

Thanks Anita, I have edited that section to remove much of the 'guff' that was there. Much of it simply added unnecessary confusion!
Anita
Pocket GPS Moderator
Pocket GPS Moderator

PostPosted: Fri Jan 16, 2009 3:44 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Thumbs Up That's much clearer, Darren!

I must admit I've never read that far down the page before. When I first downloaded the database and checked to see how to install it, I stopped when I got to my device in the green and yellow "Compatibility & Installation Guide", which explained things in a very easy-to-understand way.
Samsung Galaxy S21
daviem
Occasional Visitor

PostPosted: Fri Jan 16, 2009 4:25 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Darren, Having just read the additional posts, I get the impression that once you have downloaded the updates to your PC you have access to an installation guide.

The section I read on your website did not really make this clear, and in view of my previous TT 910 experience I was loathe to renew my subscription without understanding the process. I think it would boost your subscription rate if you stressed this (but of course the section I was looking at may not have been the most appropriate).

Thanks also to PaulB2005. I note the link to 'why use the PGW database', but it would be interesting to see someone write a simple app to do a quick compare between say the TT D/B and the former. TT of course advertise a similar 'customer update' feature' in their blurb. It would be nice to put them in their place.

Finally as a general point of interest to all potential GPS customers. TT have extensively advertised a 'free fuel' offer worth up to £50 when buying a new GPS. Be aware that you need a number on the INSIDE of the wrapper to claim the fuel. If you have thrown the wrapper away (like me) you cannot claim, even though you have proof of purchase. So much for TT's 'reputation'.

Sorry about that digression, I am now going to renew my PGW subscription!
Darren
Frequent Visitor

PostPosted: Fri Jan 16, 2009 4:28 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

daviem wrote:
Darren, Having just read the additional posts, I get the impression that once you have downloaded the updates to your PC you have access to an installation guide.

We have installation guides available here for all the devices we support. Just locate your device in the list and select the Click Here at far right.
Anita
Pocket GPS Moderator
Pocket GPS Moderator

PostPosted: Fri Jan 16, 2009 4:44 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

daviem wrote:

I thought you had access to the guides without being subscribed.

If you go to the download page and scroll down do you not see a predominately green and yellow compatibility table, daviem?
Samsung Galaxy S21
Darren
Frequent Visitor

PostPosted: Fri Jan 16, 2009 4:53 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Anita wrote:
I thought you had access to the guides without being subscribed.

You do.
mikealder
Pocket GPS Moderator
Pocket GPS Moderator

PostPosted: Fri Jan 16, 2009 4:58 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

What about watching the video of how to install and setup the database on the TomTom devices which can be found Here - Mike
daviem
Occasional Visitor

PostPosted: Fri Jan 16, 2009 6:45 pm    Post subject: Camera Database(s) Reply with quote

Mike/Anita/Darren,

Thanks for the info, I somehow overlooked the the Help column.

Mike

Posted: Today    Post subject: Pocket GPS Advertising

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Pocket GPS World Forum Index -> PocketGPSWorld Speed Camera Database All times are GMT + 1 Hour
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: