Home PageFacebookRSS News Feed
PocketGPS
Web
SatNav,GPS,Navigation
Pocket GPS World - SatNavs | GPS | Speed Cameras: Forums

Pocket GPS World :: View topic - GPS for hiking?
 Forum FAQForum FAQ   SearchSearch   UsergroupsUsergroups   ProfileProfile   Log in for private messagesLog in for private messages   Log inLog in 

GPS for hiking?

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Pocket GPS World Forum Index -> Beginners GPS Lounge
View previous topic :: View next topic  
AlanR
Occasional Visitor

PostPosted: Wed Apr 14, 2004 2:18 pm    Post subject: GPS for hiking? Reply with quote

I am looking for a GPS to use while hiking, preferably one that I can upload topographic maps to. Are there any dedicated handheld units that can accept memorymap type OS maps of the UK?

Failing that, is it practical to use a PDA based solution for hiking (say up to 12 hours per day)? My biggest worry with this method is battery life. I have seen a couple of external battery extenders for handheld reviewed on this site but does anyone have any idea of how much extra life they provide?

Thanks for any advice

Alan
lbendlin
Pocket GPS Staff
Pocket GPS Staff

PostPosted: Wed Apr 14, 2004 3:15 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

from my own experience (grrrrrr...) the battery extenders are still in a useless phase. They never show you how much capacity is left, and they start draining the PDA or the receiver when they fall in voltage (no reverse protection)

two alternatives:
- use standard batteries and carry spares. Some of the newer BT receivers have replaceable standard batteries and run up to 30 hours!
- consider a solar charger

Additionally it helps to minimize the use of the PDA. You don't need to stare at the screen all the time. Enjoy the hike and only fire the PDA up when you are in doubt.

My personal favourite for hiking would be the RoyalTek RBT 3000 - includes a datalogger with ample of memory.

Report Map Errors here:
TomTom/TeleAtlas NAVTEQ
sparkyweb
Occasional Visitor

PostPosted: Wed Apr 14, 2004 11:11 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Not really having used many of the other more graphical types of GPS i can only comment on the Garmin Etrex.

I have succesfully used my Etrex Venture for both hiking and walking. With the ability to download routes (via the supplied data cable) you can view your downloaded map on the screen. I have found this great as i can work out the route on a topographical software, Anquet, Fugawi, MM etc. and then import the data to the GPS.

The big disadvantage that you get with this is you can only really see the route(s) on the screen that you have entered to it and not a graphical map.
However, you can connect a PDA and view your position on the PDA if you have the relevant topo software to it.

I went out cycling in unknown territory last weekend and didn't need to get the OS map out of the bag once!!!! - just viewed the screen.

The benefit of the Etrex Venture is the ruggedness, waterproof etc. Neg point inability to see 2D/ 3D maps on screen.

I am know that there are Gurus out there with better knowledge than me, with details on all the other models, PDA enhancements etc. but this works for me, at a relativly low cost!

My 2p worth!!!

Cheers

Sparky
Skippy
Pocket GPS Verifier
Pocket GPS Verifier

PostPosted: Wed Apr 14, 2004 11:25 pm    Post subject: Re: GPS for hiking? Reply with quote

AlanR wrote:
I am looking for a GPS to use while hiking, preferably one that I can upload topographic maps to. Are there any dedicated handheld units that can accept memorymap type OS maps of the UK?

As sparkyweb points out, there are some advantages to consider comparing handheld GPS units to PDAs, they are cheaper, longer battery life and are more robust (including being waterproof).

The major disadvantage is that there are no dedicated handheld units that you can upload scanned maps to. Sad

What you can do is create routes and waypoints from a scanned map on your PC and then upload the data to your GPS. Alternatively, you can enter your waypoints into the GPS manually from OS map co-ordinates.

If you have a Garmin GPS then you can create your own maps from OS maps using GPSMapEdit http://www.geopainting.com/en/ and then upload them to your GPS. The problem is that it's pretty tedious and you have to prepare everything on your PC before you go walking.

The other thing to remember is that you probably want to take a paper map with you anyway, you could be in serious trouble if your GPS dies.

Good luck!
AlanR
Occasional Visitor

PostPosted: Thu Apr 15, 2004 9:10 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Thanks for the comments.

The blue-tooth data logger sounds interesting and I have a few questions about it...

1) Does anyone know roughly how heavy this is?

2) The web site suggests that it runs for 10 hours on a full charge, is this what people are seeing in the field?

3) Does it do altitude as well as lat/long?

4) Can it pick a signal from within a pocket / pack or does it need to be worn around the neck? Does it have to be oriented in a particular direction?

Cheers

Alan
AlanR
Occasional Visitor

PostPosted: Thu Apr 15, 2004 9:18 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

PS in addition to the RoyalTek device, has anyone come across the following http://www.linkspoint.com/docs/BluetoothGPS_Info_Sheet.pdf

It seems to be a version of the Emtec BT gps with data logging capabilities.

Cheers

Alan
lbendlin
Pocket GPS Staff
Pocket GPS Staff

PostPosted: Thu Apr 15, 2004 2:29 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I think the batteries are the heaviest part.. Yes, 10 hours is realistic. You can put it into the top pocket of your backpack or any other pocket that points skywards

Not sure about altitude, but I guess they'll have it.

The Linkspoint datalogger is a myth so far - we haven't yet seen one in real life, and there is no word anywhere on the data memory capacity

Report Map Errors here:
TomTom/TeleAtlas NAVTEQ
AlanR
Occasional Visitor

PostPosted: Fri Apr 16, 2004 2:05 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Linkspoint have indicated the following to me...

"Just keep in mind that the RoyalTek is not a dual-mode datalogger, meaning that you cannot log GPS points at the same time that the device is forwarding points in real time to another device. With RoyalTek, it is either or."

Is this correct? If so, does it mean that I have to turn off the logging feature each time that I want to check my location on my iPaq?

(PS FYI they also indicated that the Linkspoint datalogger has a 128MB flash rom that stores 4096 points.)

Thanks

Alan
lbendlin
Pocket GPS Staff
Pocket GPS Staff

PostPosted: Fri Apr 16, 2004 3:06 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

That's incorrect. Of course the datalogging happens independently of the BT traffic.

4096 points? Well, that's even less than the Deluo Blackbox which has about 6000. And of course it is nothing compared to the 30000 you get with the RBT...

Report Map Errors here:
TomTom/TeleAtlas NAVTEQ
AlanR
Occasional Visitor

PostPosted: Fri Apr 16, 2004 4:02 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Thanks for the info! I was a bit surprised at the suggestion!

Posted: Today    Post subject: Pocket GPS Advertising

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Pocket GPS World Forum Index -> Beginners GPS Lounge All times are GMT + 1 Hour
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: