Home PageFacebookRSS News Feed
PocketGPS
Web
SatNav,GPS,Navigation
SurfShark VPN for Streaming TV
Pocket GPS World - SatNavs | GPS | Speed Cameras: Forums

Pocket GPS World :: View topic - Urgent TomTom help for a newbie
 Forum FAQForum FAQ   SearchSearch   UsergroupsUsergroups   ProfileProfile   Log in for private messagesLog in for private messages   Log inLog in 

Urgent TomTom help for a newbie

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Pocket GPS World Forum Index -> TomTom Portable Navigation Devices
View previous topic :: View next topic  
brettp
Occasional Visitor

PostPosted: Wed Dec 10, 2008 9:20 am    Post subject: Urgent TomTom help for a newbie Reply with quote

Hi everyone, I have been on the newsletter for a while but never been on the forum. Very Happy

I was wondering if I could get some advice, at true last minute style I need to get a satnav today and I have been looking at the 2 below. Would someone be kind enough to tell me what are the differences, is the comet product a old model?
I can get the comet one for £116.

Comet - TomTomXL

Halfords - TomTomXL

Many thanks in advance
mikealder
Pocket GPS Moderator
Pocket GPS Moderator

PostPosted: Wed Dec 10, 2008 9:26 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Welcome to the forum, if indeed the Comet TomTom XL comes with the Text To Speech then this is the major difference between the two items, I would go for the omet unit as the TTS enables the device to read out road names and camera warnings etc.
Its not much dearer but I would check in the store that it does have the TTS installed, if not their advert is missleading, the reason I am wondering about the TTS is that within the XL model range the TTS has only ever been released in the USA - if it does have the TTS can you confirm this when you get the device - Mike
brettp
Occasional Visitor

PostPosted: Wed Dec 10, 2008 9:38 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Mike, firstly many thanks for the very swift reply and the information. Comet have the unit for sale at £126, I have managed to reserve it in store and have also found a £10 voucher code. So the total price is £116 what I thought was pretty good for a full europe TomTom??

Sorry for the questions, but could these typically be older models? i.e. V1?
Im pressuming also that I can update the camera DB etc through the links via this site.
mikealder
Pocket GPS Moderator
Pocket GPS Moderator

PostPosted: Wed Dec 10, 2008 9:43 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

This is a new model I have yet to see a device sold to that spec in the UK, so at that price its a bargain. The XL with the EasyPort mount is a great device, add to it the capability of the Text To Speech system and its a very capable unit indeed
It will run the speed camera database from this web site, if you need any advice on installing/ configuring this when you get the device just ask on the forum - its easy to do, back it up using Windows Explorer though before you do anything at all with it - Mike
brettp
Occasional Visitor

PostPosted: Wed Dec 10, 2008 9:51 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Many thanks for your help Mike, you have helped me decide Very Happy I may even pop out to Comet at lunch and buy the unit so may be able to update you on the TTS information this afternoon. I will also post the discount code used etc to get the unit for £116.

Thanks again

Brett
brettp
Occasional Visitor

PostPosted: Wed Dec 10, 2008 3:43 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Mike, I have been and bought the TomTom from Comet (useless they are) Laughing Out Loud. I asked the main differences between the model I showed you earlier along with a another Europe XL that they had for sale at £145. The guy said the only difference was that the £145 one had breakdown assistance included.
I specifically asked if the unit I was going to buy had TTS, he confirmed.
I bought the unit, after looking on the box, it doesnt specifically state TTS, but does say that it has spoken street names. Im pressuming that this is TTS??? And to top it all off, a big sticker on the front saying I get Free breakdown cover???
The box has TomTom XL Europe 31 Special Edition on.
topgazza
Frequent Visitor

PostPosted: Wed Dec 10, 2008 4:50 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Street names is TTS...thats a real bargain....but seriously weird as they were advertising that model at a ridiculous £269 a couple of weeks ago.

Mike, I wonder if they have just negotiated with TomTom and imported a batch lot ?

Nokia Lumia 800 with Nokia Maps, iPhone 4S with Apple Maps (sigh)
Darren
Frequent Visitor

PostPosted: Wed Dec 10, 2008 5:14 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

As the XL sites below the x30 it could never realistically be sold at a higher price?
mikealder
Pocket GPS Moderator
Pocket GPS Moderator

PostPosted: Wed Dec 10, 2008 6:59 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Interesting, I always thought the XL with TTS was only available for the USA market, perhaps things have changed.

An XL with the Easy Port mount and TTS will be a cracking device - to make sure it does indeed have TTS go to Change Preferences/ Voice Preferences/ Change voice and see if the computer voice Kate is available, also in Speech Preferences make sure "Read aloud road names is selected" If it is reading out street names then it is indeed TS equipped - Mike
topgazza
Frequent Visitor

PostPosted: Wed Dec 10, 2008 7:05 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Its only Comet that offer it.

Nokia Lumia 800 with Nokia Maps, iPhone 4S with Apple Maps (sigh)
Andy_P
Pocket GPS Moderator
Pocket GPS Moderator

PostPosted: Thu Dec 11, 2008 12:31 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

brettp wrote:

The box has TomTom XL Europe 31 Special Edition on.

Brett..could you do me a favour and have a look on the base of your new toy?

In tiny writing should be something like "TomTom XL " followed by a number similar to 4N01.001 or 4EE0.001.00,. This is the model number.

If you could pass that on it would help me complete a list I compile and I'd be very grateful. (Don't bother with the long number next to the barcode, that's the serial number.

Also let us know what you think of it! It sounds like a NICE unit.
Dome5
Occasional Visitor

PostPosted: Wed Dec 31, 2008 1:50 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

This looks to be the same as the XL Australia model available here (which I have) on sale for AUD350 (GBP165).

Posted: Today    Post subject: Pocket GPS Advertising

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Pocket GPS World Forum Index -> TomTom Portable Navigation Devices All times are GMT + 1 Hour
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: