Home PageFacebookRSS News Feed
PocketGPS
Web
SatNav,GPS,Navigation
Pocket GPS World - SatNavs | GPS | Speed Cameras: Forums

Pocket GPS World :: View topic - Tom Tom 540 Live Questions
 Forum FAQForum FAQ   SearchSearch   UsergroupsUsergroups   ProfileProfile   Log in for private messagesLog in for private messages   Log inLog in 

Tom Tom 540 Live Questions
Goto page 1, 2  Next

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Pocket GPS World Forum Index -> TomTom Portable Navigation Devices
View previous topic :: View next topic  
BristleBob
Occasional Visitor

PostPosted: Sun Dec 14, 2008 12:33 pm    Post subject: Tom Tom 540 Live Questions Reply with quote

Hi. Just upgraded from a 510 to a 540 Live. Used it only a few times and so far I am well impressed, but with a few questions. As I have my old 510 settings on my PC, I have not connected the 540 to Home, apart from to the PC just for charging. Is it best to delete all the 510 files before connecting the 540 to Home? If so, is it just a matter of doing a file search for every thing relating to Tom Tom, delete those, then start afresh? I have noticed with the 540 that the speed camera warnings are not up to date, and even a local camera that has been in position for 18 months is not showing with the 540, but was with my old 510. Is it just a matter of updating with Home? Speed camera alerts are not as loud or visible on the 540 as they were on the 510. Can a setting be changed to change this so you get more warning? I have not registered the 540 yet or told Tom Tom I no longer have the 510. I read some where to register the new one with a different email so there are no problems. Is this correct?
Thanks
Bob
mikealder
Pocket GPS Moderator
Pocket GPS Moderator

PostPosted: Sun Dec 14, 2008 12:42 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Welcome to the forum Bob, the best approach with this is to create a new account for the 540 with its own unique e-mail address.

Back up your device using Windows Explorer though rather than Home as its more relable - Mike
BristleBob
Occasional Visitor

PostPosted: Sun Dec 14, 2008 12:50 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Thanks Mike. Will Home look for older copies of Tom Tom files, and ask if I want to over write them?
DennisN
Tired Old Man
Tired Old Man

PostPosted: Sun Dec 14, 2008 12:51 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

You have said that you no longer have the 510, so you do not need a new email address. If your TomTom cameras were more up to date than on the new 540, is that because you had a camera subscription with TomTom on the 510 and had recently obtained an update?

If you did have ANY subscriptions with TT on the 510, you do need to change your account details to replace the 510 with the 540, otherwise you'll lose those services. When you connect the 540 to Home, Home will tell you it's not the unit or whatever and offer you the chance to replace the 510 details with the new 540.

If you don't have any subscriptions with TT, I'd advise you to at least consider the Speed camera database from here - I'm biased, of course, but I'm not alone in considering the pgpsw camera database to be far superior. Here's something to read all about it.

If it tastes good - it's fattening.

Two of them are obesiting!!
BristleBob
Occasional Visitor

PostPosted: Sun Dec 14, 2008 12:58 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Hi Dennis. No, I never had a camera or any other paid for subscriptions with the 510. All I would do is connect with Home occaisionally and download what ever free updates were available at that time, not sure if they were just Home updates, updates for the 510 software, or what? I thought I had to notify Tom Tom through the Home software that I no longer had the 510, and the 540 was now my only device? I will look at the Speed Camera database from here shortly.
Thanks.
BristleBob
Occasional Visitor

PostPosted: Sun Dec 14, 2008 3:36 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Must say the Pocket GPS Camera Database looks impressive. That with the Live Tom Tom updates should be pretty comprehensive Very Happy

Last edited by BristleBob on Sun Dec 14, 2008 5:49 pm; edited 1 time in total
RATOM
Regular Visitor

PostPosted: Sun Dec 14, 2008 4:10 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Hello Bob

First of all....I strongly recommend that you subscribe to PGPS camera database...it's great and much better....

Secondly, just recently I posted a question on these forums on whether to keep my Go 720 or upgrade to Go 540...So I would like to hear from you about the performace of this device.

My Go 720 has always disappointed me in that it lags. Sometimes, the map changes only when I have actually made the change...ideally, both should happen at the same time.

So do you think that there is no such problem in 540... one member recently suggested turning off map overlays...how much effect does it have.

And finally, how do you find the HD traffic information...I assume it is available for a brief period free of charge...How is it?

Best

RATOM
BristleBob
Occasional Visitor

PostPosted: Sun Dec 14, 2008 5:01 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Hi Ratom

I have only used the 540 a few times, but so far I am impressed. I am off to Glamorgan for a few days work this evening, so I will give it a proper test and report back to you on my return Tuesday.

Tom Tom Live services are available for free for the first 3 months, then it's £7.99 a month. The first journey out with the 540 I approached a line of traffic what seemed like in the middle of nowhere, and it flashed up there was about a minute's delay. That was Friday evening, and apart from last night with no traffic on the road that is the only times I have used it. I will be travelling back from Wales lunch time Tuesday so will see how traffic performs then. I still have not plugged it in to home yet, as I am not sure if I have to first delete all my 510 settings.

Cheers, Bob.
Lifetime Member

PostPosted: Sun Dec 14, 2008 5:31 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Hi Bob,

I have my 710 and 720 settings on my mac.
Have a different e-mail address for each. Don't have any problems.
I still use both of them and update them both from TT Home, have to log into each one separately is all.

Make sure you make a back up 1st using windows explorer and not TT Home as already mentioned.
BristleBob
Occasional Visitor

PostPosted: Sun Dec 14, 2008 5:33 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Thanks. Are there directions any where for using windows explorer to back up?
mikealder
Pocket GPS Moderator
Pocket GPS Moderator

PostPosted: Sun Dec 14, 2008 6:12 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

The FAQ page is good place to start out - #1 details the backup using Windows Explorer, click Here - Mike
BristleBob
Occasional Visitor

PostPosted: Sun Dec 14, 2008 6:20 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Thanks Mike.
RATOM
Regular Visitor

PostPosted: Mon Dec 15, 2008 6:37 pm    Post subject: 540 Go performance Reply with quote

Hi Bob

Looking forward to hearing from you more

safe travel

RATOM
Larok
Regular Visitor

PostPosted: Mon Dec 15, 2008 8:27 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Ratom, If you do a fair bit of driving the x40 roks for the hd trafic alone. Just buy one and be happy. ps you could always give it back!!
BristleBob
Occasional Visitor

PostPosted: Tue Dec 16, 2008 9:21 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Hi. Just returned from my work in the Valleys in Pontypridd. Travelled up Sunday evening, roads very quiet so no traffic reports as I suspected. My blackberry bold through the 540 is pretty good, but the volume could be better. Can this be adjusted? Had this feature with the 510, but was not very good, tried once, and not again. Maps have been greatly improved, lane guidance is good, and spoken instructions are a vast improvement over the 510. The mount is much improved as well. So far so good.

Travelling back today, traffic reported a few minutes delay, which was correct. Did not pick up on the on-going lane widening on the motorway around Cardiff Gate for a few miles. Traffic down to 50 miles an hour, but no hold ups, and none reported. Subscribed to the Pocket GPS Camera Database before I left Sunday, but I ran out of time to download it. Will do that later.

Had a trip in to central Bristol this afternoon. The road changes around Cabot Circus do not show up on the map, I was not expecting this, although the road changes were done at least a year ago. On the way home with the rush hour just starting, 540 did not report any delays, although it did say some thing like that my arrival time was now xyz, due to holdups. Had the music turned up too loud so I did not hear it correctly.

It does refresh the screen within seconds, when you take a different route than the one you put in. Just need a decent travel case for it and a screen protector. Now where was my xmas list ;-)

Posted: Today    Post subject: Pocket GPS Advertising

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Pocket GPS World Forum Index -> TomTom Portable Navigation Devices All times are GMT + 1 Hour
Goto page 1, 2  Next
Page 1 of 2

Jump to: