Home PageFacebookRSS News Feed
PocketGPS
Web
SatNav,GPS,Navigation
Pocket GPS World - SatNavs | GPS | Speed Cameras: Forums

Pocket GPS World :: View topic - Getting LMG map update but keeping 720 'original' features
 Forum FAQForum FAQ   SearchSearch   UsergroupsUsergroups   ProfileProfile   Log in for private messagesLog in for private messages   Log inLog in 

Getting LMG map update but keeping 720 'original' features

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Pocket GPS World Forum Index -> TomTom Portable Navigation Devices
View previous topic :: View next topic  
colin_thames
Regular Visitor

PostPosted: Wed Dec 10, 2008 11:24 am    Post subject: Getting LMG map update but keeping 720 'original' features Reply with quote

Thanks for this Cutslick and Mikealder. It looks as though 8.204 will lose my gprs traffic services but otherwise is better than 8.3 and is the only way I could use my new map update. I'm quite fond of gprs traffic so I'm wondering whether I should just get the map update but go back to the OS version and maps on the 720 and wait for a fix to 8.3. Though I could try 8.3 to see if it stutters first.

So the alternative, if I am reading this right, is to backup my TomTom using Windows, then using Home to update the OS, the maps and then backup again, then revert back to my original backup so that when TomTom eventually fix 8.3 I'll have everything working and the newest maps?
Cheers

Colin
Daggers
Lifetime Member

PostPosted: Wed Dec 10, 2008 2:46 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I'm pretty sure you won't get a stutter if you use a human voice rather than the computer generated versions.
mikealder
Pocket GPS Moderator
Pocket GPS Moderator

PostPosted: Wed Dec 10, 2008 6:43 pm    Post subject: Re: Getting LMG map update but keeping 720 'original' featur Reply with quote

colin_thames wrote:
So the alternative, if I am reading this right, is to backup my TomTom using Windows, then using Home to update the OS, the maps and then backup again, then revert back to my original backup so that when TomTom eventually fix 8.3 I'll have everything working and the newest maps?

This is correct, if you keep an eye on the forum you will soon get to know when an update is released and within a very short period (one or two days) will soon see if the issue has been resolved - no posts about stuttering voices can be taken as a fix that works - mostly people post about things that fail or don't work correctly, very rarely do they post saying something is working! - Mike
Andy_P
Pocket GPS Moderator
Pocket GPS Moderator

PostPosted: Wed Dec 10, 2008 11:04 pm    Post subject: Re: Getting LMG map update but keeping 720 'original' featur Reply with quote

colin_thames wrote:

Cheers

Colin

That's exactly what I've done on one of mine. Smile
In fact, the best solution is to have the new setup (maps and software) on an SD card and leave the old set-up on the internal memory. Then if you don't like the way it is behaving, you can just pop out the SD card and let it re-boot back to as it was. Best of both Worlds....

Daggers wrote:
I'm pretty sure you won't get a stutter if you use a human voice rather than the computer generated versions.

You won't get a stutter as such, but you are still likely to get:

Pauses between words, ("After 300.........yards, turn right, then take the second..........left")

Sluggish menu response (it can't keep up with my well-learned screen taps when I re-enter all my camera warning settings for the 5000th time!)

and slower screen refresh (especially noticeable on busy junctions and roundabouts)
Daggers
Lifetime Member

PostPosted: Thu Dec 11, 2008 12:59 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

In that case, I must just be lucky. I'm not getting any of these problems, other than the stutter when I temporarily changed to a computer voice. I'm sure I don't drive so slowly that Tomtom finds it easier to keep up with me!
Andy_P
Pocket GPS Moderator
Pocket GPS Moderator

PostPosted: Thu Dec 11, 2008 1:43 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I had a new one the other day with v8.300....

I'd been driving for a couple of miles before I realised I wasn't getting any voice instructions at all (Tim recorded voice).
As I 've done a lot of mucking about recently, I assumed I'd muted the voice or sommething so didn't worry unduly and thought I'd have a look while stopped at the next traffic lights.

Just before I could do anything though, suddenly it launched into life and gave me a complete rendition of EVERY instruction it should have given me over the last five minutes, all in one continuous stream!

Never had anything like that before.
colin_thames
Regular Visitor

PostPosted: Thu Dec 11, 2008 11:33 am    Post subject: Re: Getting LMG map update but keeping 720 'original' featur Reply with quote

Andy_P wrote:

That's exactly what I've done on one of mine. Smile
In fact, the best solution is to have the new setup (maps and software) on an SD card and leave the old set-up on the internal memory. Then if you don't like the way it is behaving, you can just pop out the SD card and let it re-boot back to as it was. Best of both Worlds....

Thanks Andy,
That sounds a really good idea. So does the unit have to be set in some way to boot from SD card when it's inserted or is this a default setting? What size SD card do you have?
Cheers
Colin
Andy_P
Pocket GPS Moderator
Pocket GPS Moderator

PostPosted: Thu Dec 11, 2008 6:09 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

The unit will always TRY to boot from the SD card first. If it doesn't find one, (or it does but there is no operating system files on it), then it tries the internal memory and boots from there.

On older models you could boot from either the internal or the SD card, but then you could ONLY use maps etc that were in the same place.

With these models though, you can have different maps on the internal and SD and switch between them irrespective of where you booted from.

In my case I've got two different versions of the same map on there and two different software versions, so I'll be the first to admit that you do have to keep your wits about you a bit to work out what you're actually using!

When you start up Home, if there is an SD card in the slot, it asks which storage place you want to use. This is a bit of a limitation of Home, bacause it will only offer things like MapShare updates for the map you are currently using AND that map has to be in the place you selected.
So you have to pick one, get the corrections for the first map, then disconnect and start again to get those for the other map.

To get started, I would suggest you get a card, copy EVERYTHING from the internal memory to that card, then switch on the TomTom with the card installed to check it is all working OK.
Then you can decide whether you want to keep the internal memory set-up the same and do updates on the card or vice versa. Just make sure you always tell Home where to put the updates AND remember to back up BOTH places now!

I use 4GB cards for preference, but I still have a few 2GB ones kicking about. I've even just found a 16 MB one from a camera on my desk, but just can't bring myself to just throw it away! Rolling Eyes
dhn
Frequent Visitor

PostPosted: Thu Dec 11, 2008 6:44 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Andy.......

I don't believe you have to disconnect after getting updates for one memory location (say internal). After the update is done, just use Home's menu for Device--Switch device (to the sd card) and update again.

No physical disconnect necessary ..... or, is that what you meant? Embarassed
MrT
Frequent Visitor

PostPosted: Thu Dec 11, 2008 7:31 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Once thing I noticed in booting between separate 8.3 and 8.01 on the 530 was that it changed or deleted the bluetooth settings on going one way (cannot remeber which) and I needed to redo these changing between Navcore. On the same Navcore between internal and SD with different maps this did not happen.
Andy_P
Pocket GPS Moderator
Pocket GPS Moderator

PostPosted: Thu Dec 11, 2008 8:16 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

dhn wrote:
Andy.......

I don't believe you have to disconnect after getting updates for one memory location (say internal). After the update is done, just use Home's menu for Device--Switch device (to the sd card) and update again.

No physical disconnect necessary ..... or, is that what you meant? Embarassed

Yeah sorry, that's what I meant, I was in shorthand mode (aka "lazy").... Smile

I also use the on-screen emulator to switch between the maps, so the complete sequence to do a MapShare update on two maps is:

1. Assuming you are currently using the map on the Internal memory, connect to Home and select "Internal"

2. Select "Update" and let it do its thang.

3. Go to the emulator and use Change prefs/Manage maps/Switch Map to swap to the map on the SD card.

4. Exit the emulator.

5. Go to the "Device" menu in Home and select "Change Device". Choose "SD card" this time.

6. Go to "Update" again, and it should get the Mapshare corrections for the second map.

On a slightly related topic, in all the myriad updates and swaps of software I'm doing, I seem to be getting a new screen immediately after a reboot or disconnect from PC, asking which map I want to use. Is that new?

Posted: Today    Post subject: Pocket GPS Advertising

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Pocket GPS World Forum Index -> TomTom Portable Navigation Devices All times are GMT + 1 Hour
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: