Home PageFacebookRSS News Feed
PocketGPS
Web
SatNav,GPS,Navigation
Pocket GPS World - SatNavs | GPS | Speed Cameras: Forums

Pocket GPS World :: View topic - Vista issues with TTH 2.5 - will not run ??
 Forum FAQForum FAQ   SearchSearch   UsergroupsUsergroups   ProfileProfile   Log in for private messagesLog in for private messages   Log inLog in 

Vista issues with TTH 2.5 - will not run ??
Goto page 1, 2  Next

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Pocket GPS World Forum Index -> TomTom Portable Navigation Devices
View previous topic :: View next topic  
mickrichardson535
Lifetime Member

PostPosted: Thu Dec 04, 2008 9:44 pm    Post subject: Vista issues with TTH 2.5 - will not run ?? Reply with quote

Hi folks
I run a Vista PC and have a TTG 720T that until the introduction of TTH 2.5 worked nicely.

2.3 was a pain to install on the same machine, but was remedied by a system restore followed by the reinstallation of various Windows updates, followed by the installation off TTH 2.3

Having upgraded to TTH2.5 and seemingly suffering the same problem, I uswed the same remedy.

installed ok and ran ok ..... but ....

Next time (after the next reboot) I started TTH, the splash screen came up - sat on the desktop for about 2 mins and disappeared. Nothing I tried started TTH again. It hasn't run since.

TT Tech Support have had me uninstall, defrag, delete all sorts of files and folder and reinstall. The only difference it has made is that TTH now starts with the location and EULA screen - which disappears as soon as 'agree' is sleected. After that - nothing happens at all.

One thing that has puzzled me is that I was asked to delete any reference to Navcore on the computer. No amount of searching locates any such file or folder.

Anybody else having this problem on Vista with TTH 2.5??

Having bought the latest maps with the quarterly updates, I'm a bit miffed it isn't functioning ....

Mick
HummerUK
Frequent Visitor

PostPosted: Fri Dec 05, 2008 12:20 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

TTH is usually okay on Vista and I have it on Two factory installed Vista computers (1x Ultimate and 1 x Home).

Did your computer come with Vista pre-linstalled or is it an upgrade to the operating system?

Do you have any unusual applications installed?

HummerUK
Pocketgps
Lifetime Member

PostPosted: Fri Dec 05, 2008 12:30 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

You may need to install under Administrator on Vista. Also with some programs they will only work if you have UAC turned off.

Both can be set from the User Accounts screen.
Calomax
Lifetime Member

PostPosted: Fri Dec 05, 2008 9:51 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I have a Dell laptop with Vista Home Premium and TT HOME runs perfectly on it.
mickrichardson535
Lifetime Member

PostPosted: Fri Dec 05, 2008 9:56 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Hi folks.

"Did your computer come with Vista pre-linstalled or is it an upgrade to the operating system?" - it came with no OS installed - I installed it - have built numerous computers over the years, so am happy with install routine.

My account is Administrator by default, but I hadn't thought of UAC - may try that!

I'm not sure what might qualify as any unusual applications that could interfere with Vista. Nero Backup didn't like 2.3 - but I no longer have that installed for that reason.

I'll report back.

I appreciate the assistance ...
IanS100
Frequent Visitor

PostPosted: Fri Dec 05, 2008 10:48 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I had a similar problem on my Vista laptop, home had been fine but then just stopped working. I've no idea what triggered it or if it was after an upgrade and when I did manage to get home to open up it wouldn't connect to the 520 - There weren't even any TomTom icons in 'My Computer'.

Device Manager showed up a problem with one of the TomTom drives being listed as a 'Generic Drive' but no amount of searching for new drivers, copying / pasting & moving files around would solve the problem.

If I looked at the computer via Acronis Disc Director the TomTom drive showed up but I couldn't configure it so that it would be visible in 'My Computer' I tried changing the drive names & letter but that didn't help

Like you I tried restore, uninstalled various programs / apps & searched the net for different drivers & solutions but I never solved the problem. After a couple of very frustrating weeks I bit the bullet & reinstalled Vista & everything now works ok

Sorry to be the barer of bad tidings but you may also have to bite the bullet & do a reinstall

PS. I now keep a fully cloned spare HDD just in case
mickrichardson535
Lifetime Member

PostPosted: Fri Dec 05, 2008 1:55 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Hi Ian

Interesting ....

did you have to reformat - or was it a reinstall over the top? Also, did you bring Vista up to date and then install TT Home - or the other way about?

Mick

IanS100 wrote:
I had a similar problem on my Vista laptop, home had been fine but then just stopped working. I've no idea what triggered it or if it was after an upgrade and when I did manage to get home to open up it wouldn't connect to the 520 - There weren't even any TomTom icons in 'My Computer'.

Device Manager showed up a problem with one of the TomTom drives being listed as a 'Generic Drive' but no amount of searching for new drivers, copying / pasting & moving files around would solve the problem.

If I looked at the computer via Acronis Disc Director the TomTom drive showed up but I couldn't configure it so that it would be visible in 'My Computer' I tried changing the drive names & letter but that didn't help

Like you I tried restore, uninstalled various programs / apps & searched the net for different drivers & solutions but I never solved the problem. After a couple of very frustrating weeks I bit the bullet & reinstalled Vista & everything now works ok

Sorry to be the barer of bad tidings but you may also have to bite the bullet & do a reinstall

PS. I now keep a fully cloned spare HDD just in case
mickrichardson535
Lifetime Member

PostPosted: Fri Dec 05, 2008 2:19 pm    Post subject: TTH 2.5 VISTA fixed?? Reply with quote

Dear Pocketgps

You are a bit of a genius.

I turned off UAC and started TTH - the usual EULA appeared - and upon clicking 'accept' the software bust into life.

My device itself is out being used - return on Saturday, so I will know then if it is still working.

I managed to get TTH 2.5 to start any number of times without a problem with UAC disabled - but Windows kept reminding me of the security risk.

I re-enabled UAC and rebooted.
When starting TTH again after the reboot, I didn't get the EULA, and TTH started as normal.

So ... the result would seem to be that if Vista users have a problem with TTH software that the answer is likely to be to disbale UAC for the duration of the installation and initial running of the program - and the re-enable UAC after the softeware is seen to be working properly.

I will update you as if this is a fix for Vista proper once the device is back and connects...... it may well be worth keeping in our communal knowledge bank.

Mickquote="Pocketgps"]You may need to install under Administrator on Vista. Also with some programs they will only work if you have UAC turned off.

Both can be set from the User Accounts screen.[/quote]
Pocketgps
Lifetime Member

PostPosted: Fri Dec 05, 2008 4:30 pm    Post subject: Re: TTH 2.5 VISTA fixed?? Reply with quote

mickrichardson535 wrote:
Dear Pocketgps

I turned off UAC and started TTH - the usual EULA appeared - and upon clicking 'accept' the software bust into life.

My device itself is out being used - return on Saturday, so I will know then if it is still working.

I managed to get TTH 2.5 to start any number of times without a problem with UAC disabled - but Windows kept reminding me of the security risk.

Again you can set it not to remind you about the security risk. So long as you have a good anti-virus and firewall program installed then you should not be at risk.

Control Panel - Security Center - Change the way Security Center Alerts Me

I run both my laptop and this descktop that way since using vista without any problems at all (over 15 months - and both used every day on the net).
mickrichardson535
Lifetime Member

PostPosted: Fri Dec 05, 2008 4:35 pm    Post subject: Re: TTH 2.5 VISTA fixed?? Reply with quote

Sadly, I spoke way too soon.

UAC on or off, TTH will no longer load after the splash screen.

What a blow.

Mick

mickrichardson535 wrote:
Dear Pocketgps

I re-enabled UAC and rebooted.
When starting TTH again after the reboot, I didn't get the EULA, and TTH started as normal.

So ... the result would seem to be that if Vista users have a problem with TTH software that the answer is likely to be to disbale UAC for the duration of the installation and initial running of the program - and the re-enable UAC after the softeware is seen to be working properly.

I will update you as if this is a fix for Vista proper once the device is back and connects...... it may well be worth keeping in our communal knowledge bank.

Mickquote="Pocketgps"]You may need to install under Administrator on Vista. Also with some programs they will only work if you have UAC turned off.

Both can be set from the User Accounts screen.
[/quote]
Pocketgps
Lifetime Member

PostPosted: Fri Dec 05, 2008 5:26 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

This is a bit long-winded AND MAY NOT WORK.

Uninstall TT HOME
Re-boot
Then goto:

My Computer - OS (C:)
Look for 'Users' folder and click to open
then your name - what you log in with - eg Fred
then click to open that folder
then click AppData
then click Local - then look down the folders for TomTom and delete the folder and all contents.
then go back to the AppData folder and click Roaming
then again look for TomTom folder and again delete it.

There is also a TomTom folder in the Documents folder - but I think you can leave that - holds the backups etc.

(hope the vista security will let you delete those folders (I have complete control over vista security - but that's the way I have it set up from day 1).

Now re-boot

That should clear all but the registry entries for TT HOME

DO NOT USE Regedit UNLESS YOU KNOW WHAT YOU ARE DOING - COULD STOP YOUR ALL OF YOUR SYSTEM WORKING.

With UAC turned off - and using admin rights try and install again and see if that works.
mickrichardson535
Lifetime Member

PostPosted: Fri Dec 05, 2008 5:34 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

[Hi again

I have done all that you suggest - I'm fairly comfortable with computers in general and have delved into the registry to destroy all TomTom references no matter how obscure.....more than once!

Despite all that, still no joy.

TT Tech Support aren't exactly fast (one message a day - can be as simple as "did it install to default locations?" - answered - and next day "Are you running XP or Vista?" (RFQ) ... so I have given up altogether and will now install on the wifes computer which runs XP - we'll see how her machine copes ....

I'lll let you all know!

Regards

Mick

quote="Pocketgps"]This is a bit long-winded AND MAY NOT WORK.

Uninstall TT HOME
Re-boot
Then goto:

My Computer - OS (CSmile
Look for 'Users' folder and click to open
then your name - what you log in with - eg Fred
then click to open that folder
then click AppData
then click Local - then look down the folders for TomTom and delete the folder and all contents.
then go back to the AppData folder and click Roaming
then again look for TomTom folder and again delete it.

There is also a TomTom folder in the Documents folder - but I think you can leave that - holds the backups etc.

(hope the vista security will let you delete those folders (I have complete control over vista security - but that's the way I have it set up from day 1).

Now re-boot

That should clear all but the registry entries for TT HOME

DO NOT USE Regedit UNLESS YOU KNOW WHAT YOU ARE DOING - COULD STOP YOUR ALL OF YOUR SYSTEM WORKING.

With UAC turned off - and using admin rights try and install again and see if that works.[/quote]
Pocketgps
Lifetime Member

PostPosted: Fri Dec 05, 2008 6:26 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Sorry it did not work. Just don't know what to try next.

Is all I can say is that both my laptop and desktop (different makes) have vista on them and both work fine. It must be something to do with your setup of vista, but what Exclamation

Now this may sound completely stupid, but do you have the latest video card drivers. I have had issues in the past when just updating them changed the way programs worked.

Please don't let me ruin your setup though. Just grabbing at straws Embarassed
Wazza_G
Lifetime Member

PostPosted: Fri Dec 05, 2008 6:36 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

What version of Vista are you using?

I've got Vista HP (64-bit) and it works perfectly.
dhn
Frequent Visitor

PostPosted: Fri Dec 05, 2008 6:38 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Is there a service that Homerunner installs upon installation that, somehow, is set to Disabled?

Posted: Today    Post subject: Pocket GPS Advertising

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Pocket GPS World Forum Index -> TomTom Portable Navigation Devices All times are GMT + 1 Hour
Goto page 1, 2  Next
Page 1 of 2

Jump to: